Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to WA

Moving from UK to WA

Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

sinmon75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to WA

Hi

We're thinking about moving to WA but obviously have lots to consider! My husband has an Australian Passport but hasn't lived there since 1976. Would he be able to get a job easily or would he need a Visa?

I would also like some advice on good areas to live. We have 3 kids and would ideally like to be close to a Catholic school but also within easy commute of Perth.

All advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to WA

Originally Posted by sinmon75
would he need a Visa?
No he wouldn't but you will if you don't also have an Aussie passport. Do your kids also have Aussie citizenship, if not might be worthwhile seeing if they can get it...otherwise they will need visas too.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

BC 's probably right what he says.

I know this is your first post but you don't seem to know much about Australia. Most of us know that having an Australian passport means your an Australian citizen ( or at least I think it does)

What does your husband do for work?

There is vertially zero unemployment in Perth. The difference between virtual and no unemployment is the unemployable and the newly arrive immigrants. Most people from western countries don't fall into these catagories. A lot of Europeans might not get into the type of work they're used to straight away and take lesser roles but in a year or two they become accepted.

Keel
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reponses. My husbands paternal family all live in the Perth area but I don't want to speak to them about this yet as it may give them false hope.

He's a part qualified Management Accountant and is due to qualify next year. I understand that having an Australian passport means you can just move back however, as he has been working in the UK with a British right of abode since graduating from Uni, I didn't know how difficult the transition would be. Which is why I am asking for advice.

Does anyone have any advice on good areas? we have visited a couple of times but only saw the touristy parts and didn't concentrate on suburbs other than Freemantle and Como.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that having an Australian passport means you can just move back however, as he has been working in the UK with a British right of abode since graduating from Uni, I didn't know how difficult the transition would be. Which is why I am asking for advice.
It means he can move back, it doens't mean you and the children can just move there. You need to get Australian passports for the children (assuming they qualify) and a spouse visa for yourself.

Accountants in Australia do pretty much the same thing as accountants in the UK. What exactly do you mean when you ask how difficult the "transition" would be?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It means he can move back, it doens't mean you and the children can just move there. You need to get Australian passports for the children (assuming they qualify) and a spouse visa for yourself.

Accountants in Australia do pretty much the same thing as accountants in the UK. What exactly do you mean when you ask how difficult the "transition" would be?
I understand about the visa now, as for the transition, as he's been paying NI etc in the Uk, do they have a similar set up in Oz? Can he just start work staightaway? Does he have to apply for some sort of Insurance number beforehand?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:37 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We're thinking about moving to WA but obviously have lots to consider! My husband has an Australian Passport but hasn't lived there since 1976. Would he be able to get a job easily or would he need a Visa?

I would also like some advice on good areas to live. We have 3 kids and would ideally like to be close to a Catholic school but also within easy commute of Perth.

All advice is greatly appreciated!
Also bear in mind that in Australia, having an Australian Passport is not proof of Australian Citizenship. Only a certificate of Australian Citizenship actually proves it.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He's a part qualified Management Accountant and is due to qualify next year. I understand that having an Australian passport means you can just move back however, as he has been working in the UK with a British right of abode since graduating from Uni,
Has he ever become a British citizen?

If NO, perhaps he should become one now? When you say "right of abode" what exactly do you mean?

If YES, then what's the date on his Home Office citizenship certificate? If it was before 4 April 2002 then he's not an Australian citizen and needs to make an application to get his citizenship back?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Also bear in mind that in Australia, having an Australian Passport is not proof of Australian Citizenship. Only a certificate of Australian Citizenship actually proves it.

Somewhat untrue and misleading, as a passport does prove citizenship for ordinary purposes. However passports have been issued by mistake, especially to those who lost their Australian citizenship.

A certificate of Australian citizenship is better proof of citizenship, but only on a specific date. It is still possible to have lost Australian citizenship after that date.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Loss_o...an_Citizenship

People born in Australia before 20 August 1986 normally do not need a citizenship certificate, as the birth certificate is sufficient proof (unless born in Papua or in circumstances that indicate a diplomatic connection), or unless they lost and re-acquired Australian citizenship.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Alistair, I knew it wouldn't be that simple! I will speak to the Australian Emabassy next week about the Certificate. You've been really helpful.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

Cheers Alistair, I knew it wouldn't be that simple! I will speak to the Australian Emabassy next week about the Certificate. You've been really helpful.
Really, he hasn't been helpful and has confused you instead. Read posts #8 and #9 instead.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Has he ever become a British citizen?

If NO, perhaps he should become one now? When you say "right of abode" what exactly do you mean?

If YES, then what's the date on his Home Office citizenship certificate? If it was before 4 April 2002 then he's not an Australian citizen and needs to make an application to get his citizenship back?
Many thanks, he was granted the right of abode when he came to the Uk when he was 3, his mum is british his dad's Australian. His dad etc are all still there and the reason we would like to move there. I think you are right and he will have to put in an application. do you think all this will take over a year to sort out?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I understand about the visa now, as for the transition, as he's been paying NI etc in the Uk, do they have a similar set up in Oz? Can he just start work staightaway? Does he have to apply for some sort of Insurance number beforehand?
So when you asked how a management accountant would make the transition you really wanted to know if he needed an NI (equivalent) number?

You will need to apply for tax file numbers. It is possible to work before you have the number but will be taxed at a higher rate until it comes through.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:03 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, meant well but got it wrong!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, meant well but got it wrong!
No worries, seems to be a bit confusing in general so prob best I speak to the embassy to get it right. Thanks to all for taking time to answer may questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.