Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving UK House Sale Proceeds to Oz

Moving UK House Sale Proceeds to Oz

Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

spenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nice
Default Moving UK House Sale Proceeds to Oz

Hi guys,

Was wondering what is the best way of bringing the proceeds of my house sale in the UK over to buy a property in Australia. The amount will be approximately £275,000. Can you pay the funds from your UK bank to the Australian property owners representatives directly or do they have to be transferred to an Australian bank first? Are there are tax implications?

Also, I've read threads about leaving "cash" in UK banks and just withdrawing cash at ATMs as you need it until, hopefully, the exchange is better. But if I want to bring some of my savings over, say for instance £20,000, again are there any tax implications involved. I presume there will be a transfer / exchange charge on the above. The funds would either be transferred electronically or by some form of bankers draft.

Cheers,
Spenner
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:24 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving UK House Sale Proceeds to Oz

There are several ways to do this.

You can open an Oz bank account in England with NAB, Commonwealth Bank and HSBC (and others probably). You can then transfer funds between them.

You can open an account in Oz and then use one of the many transfer companies on the net. Often recommended is http://www.ozforex.com.au

All of these incur some costs but I think ozforex would be cheapest.

The tax office will be notified by the banks if the transfer amount is over $10,000 but this is part of the "terrorist threat" checks.

There shouldn't be tax implications.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Could I send money between my RBS account and NAB account directly online for example?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:29 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

You can, but via ozforex or similar. Not bank to bank (I think). Even if you can, the exchange rate and bank charges will be terrible.

The internet transfer companies are quick, reliable and secure.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:33 pm
221b Baker Street

I was nervous of the internet tarnsfer lark when I first started 6 years ago but I have done a transfer once a month at least during that time and never a hitch. That is with www.tranzfers.com who are part if ozforex but used for smaller amounts. You might want to check with RBS the maximum limit you can shift at once.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

spenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nicespenner999 is just really nice

Thanks Sherlock, will have a look at the ones you've mentioned. Was just worried about tax.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Just had a look at both www.transfers.com and www.ozforex.com.au and it seems pretty straight forward. Like the idea that there's no fee at all on ozforex above a certain amount, I know they make their money in the exchange rate but every little helps. Cheers Sherlock.

Spenner.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I'd be looking at maybe $2000 dollars a month maximum or something..
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I'd be looking at maybe $2000 dollars a month maximum or something..
If I've got it correct, using www.transfers.com and you're transferring UK£ to A$ the fee is £7. To transfer the other way, A$ to UK£ it's $15.

direct link to fees:

http://www.tranzfers.com/about-tranzfers/faq
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:13 pm
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by spenner999
If I've got it correct, using www.transfers.com and you're transferring UK£ to A$ the fee is £7. To transfer the other way, A$ to UK£ it's $15.

direct link to fees:

http://www.tranzfers.com/about-tranzfers/faq
Yes, you are correct.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheaper than I was expecting!

How bad an exchange rate do they usually offer?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sherlock, will have a look at the ones you've mentioned. Was just worried about tax.
There is no tax liability for transfering the funds. The only tax you would be liable for would be any interest you earn once you become a resident.

I believe you can transfer bank to bank, but the fees/exchange rate would definitely not be in yourfavour to do this. as others have said, have a look at oz forex or hi fx, 2 of the main international funds tranfers companies people use.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Cheaper than I was expecting!

How bad an exchange rate do they usually offer?
They're usually pretty good, been using them for ten years and got no complaints
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:33 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Was wondering what is the best way of bringing the proceeds of my house sale in the UK over to buy a property in Australia. The amount will be approximately £275,000. Can you pay the funds from your UK bank to the Australian property owners representatives directly or do they have to be transferred to an Australian bank first? Are there are tax implications?

Also, I've read threads about leaving "cash" in UK banks and just withdrawing cash at ATMs as you need it until, hopefully, the exchange is better. But if I want to bring some of my savings over, say for instance £20,000, again are there any tax implications involved. I presume there will be a transfer / exchange charge on the above. The funds would either be transferred electronically or by some form of bankers draft.

Cheers,
Spenner
Given the sum you have - look at HSBC Premier. Good exchange rate instant transfers and they set up your bank accounts in Ox for free. You also get am Oz credit card immediately with a $15k limit - helpful for when you arrive.
Downside very few Oz branches
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Downside very few Oz branches
Just on that, I have one near work in the city. In the past year I think I've been in it twice. As a premier customer the branch lacking thing has never been an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.