British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   moving from UK to Aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-uk-aus-924645/)

bookerw100 May 2nd 2019 10:41 am

moving from UK to Aus

Hi

I am in very early talks of potentially moving to Aus with the Mrs. I am BC ,wife is Indian. I will only move after I have secured a job offer. I have some initial queries

Does anyone know how long it takes for a work permit ?

Also what visa would my wife apply for if she doesn't have a job as well as timescales for that?

Can we apply together or do I have to first move myself and then take my wife?

BritInParis May 2nd 2019 11:57 am

Re: moving from UK to Aus

It’s a very broad subject but generally speaking your future employer will need to be able and willing to sponsor you for a visa. Your wife will be included on the same application as your dependant and can accompany you.

Pulaski May 2nd 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bookerw100 (Post 12678332)
….. I will only move after I have secured a job offer. ….

This situation commonly leads to questions on BE because whether you are talking about Australia, NZ, Canada, or the US (or probably any other country) if you are job-hunting from outside the country, it is usually very difficult to snag an employer's attention enough to even interview you, much less actually offer you a job.

bookerw100 May 2nd 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12678366)
It’s a very broad subject but generally speaking your future employer will need to be able and willing to sponsor you for a visa. Your wife will be included on the same application as your dependant and can accompany you.

Thanks. Any idea of realistic timescales as the official website is quoting like 75 to 90% are responded to within 13 months, surely that cant be right?

bookerw100 May 2nd 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12678379)
This situation commonly leads to questions on BE because whether you are talking about Australia, NZ, Canada, or the US (or probably any other country) if you are job-hunting from outside the country, it is usually very difficult to snag an employer's attention enough to even interview you, much less actually offer you a job.

Very true man, not easy to get a job when you are based outside and also need a visa. However, I am getting head hunted for a specific type of role. On doing some research myself I found there are a number of companies in my field who are looking for foreign engineers especially from the UK due to similarity in technicalities. But you never know..so you are right until I get a job I am not even thinking of moving but it doesn't hurt to do a bit of research on visa for information.

Pollyana May 2nd 2019 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by bookerw100 (Post 12678390)
Thanks. Any idea of realistic timescales as the official website is quoting like 75 to 90% are responded to within 13 months, surely that cant be right?

Depends on your skill and on which visa you are going for. Timelines change frequently too.
And its a visa you wi be applying for, Australia does not issue "Work permits:

jon111 May 2nd 2019 8:58 pm

the whole process for me from start to finish with a 190 nsw visa took 24 months including skills assessments and the rest of the tests before you even put your visa application in.

BritInParis May 2nd 2019 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12678596)
the whole process for me from start to finish with a 190 nsw visa took 24 months including skills assessments and the rest of the tests before you even put your visa application in.

Excellent post and hence why it’s important that the OP does his own research and check which visa(s) he is eligible for before seeking more succinct advice from his fellow posters.

bookerw100 May 3rd 2019 12:24 pm

okay thanks, will do some more research and revert