Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Townsville from the UK, any advice?

Moving to Townsville from the UK, any advice?

Old May 12th 2018, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Townsville from the UK, any advice?

We are a UK family moving to Townsville in May and could do with some local knowledge. We have never been to Townsville, so are solely using google to gather ideas on the best areas, the weather and generally what we can expect. It's risky I know to base a life changing move on what the internet says but that's what we are doing so some advice from people who actually live there would be helpful.

We are renting, so where would you rent? and how much is reasonable when renting p/w?
Crime is mentioned a lot on google, that's starting to spook us a bit. What can we expect? what can we do to avoid burglary etc?
How well are English people received in the area? Are the English loved like in the USA or hated like in Scotland,lol? or somewhere in the middle?
Is the weather unbearable? midges unbearable? anything like that we might have underestimated?
I think we will end up near Bushland Beach, so the final question is, can you take a stroll on the beach without watching over your shoulders for snakes and crocs, lol?

These are all a bit negative, I suppose we are second guessing as we get close to our move. But we are super excited for the move and the area looks amazing, with everything we wanted. Australia here we come!!!

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old May 13th 2018, 10:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Townsville from the UK, any advice?

To be honest I can't think of any current posters who live up there so not sure how much local info you can get. Check out realestate.com.au and domain.com.au to look at rentals and the prices. With regards to how the English are accepted by Australians, it most definitely depends on what sort of person you are. The country is made up of immigrants, yes there are morons who like to mouth off about immigrants but in the main, providing you're not an idiot, and provided you don't behave like an idiot, you will be accepted very happily. I can't help you on the midges/heat/humidity as I've never lived up there. Temps and humidity are high obviously but you'll be using air con probably unless you prefer to just suck it up and deal with it. I hate air con, I find that if I use it, when I have to be outside or somewhere without it, it's much harder to deal with. Therefore I don't use it and don't feel the heat or humidity as much as others, but then I live in an area where neither get very high for long periods of time. There will be plenty of signs and infomation regarding crocs and snakes. As for crime, no clue but crime here is no different to the crime in the UK. Lock doors, don't leave valuables lying on seats in cars etc etc.

There is no way to really get your heads around what life is like until you're here living it. Hopefully someone with more local info will be along comment soon. Good luck, hope you love your new life.
Old May 13th 2018, 11:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Closest members I can see from the map (Map of BE'ers in OZ ) would be SillyOldBag up in Cairns, and Supercad who looked to be somewhere near Mackay.

Both do seem to be still active though so might be able to offer some advice with regards to humidity, weather in general, etc
Old May 13th 2018, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
To be honest I can't think of any current posters who live up there so not sure how much local info you can get. Check out realestate.com.au and domain.com.au to look at rentals and the prices. With regards to how the English are accepted by Australians, it most definitely depends on what sort of person you are. The country is made up of immigrants, yes there are morons who like to mouth off about immigrants but in the main, providing you're not an idiot, and provided you don't behave like an idiot, you will be accepted very happily. I can't help you on the midges/heat/humidity as I've never lived up there. Temps and humidity are high obviously but you'll be using air con probably unless you prefer to just suck it up and deal with it. I hate air con, I find that if I use it, when I have to be outside or somewhere without it, it's much harder to deal with. Therefore I don't use it and don't feel the heat or humidity as much as others, but then I live in an area where neither get very high for long periods of time. There will be plenty of signs and infomation regarding crocs and snakes. As for crime, no clue but crime here is no different to the crime in the UK. Lock doors, don't leave valuables lying on seats in cars etc etc.

There is no way to really get your heads around what life is like until you're here living it. Hopefully someone with more local info will be along comment soon. Good luck, hope you love your new life.
Thank you for your help. Just having a few last minute nerves and trying to plan for all eventualities! You have allayed some of that for me- especially about the crocodile signs!
Old May 13th 2018, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Closest members I can see from the map (Map of BE'ers in OZ ) would be SillyOldBag up in Cairns, and Supercad who looked to be somewhere near Mackay.

Both do seem to be still active though so might be able to offer some advice with regards to humidity, weather in general, etc
Maybe we will have to be the ones offering advice to others!
Old May 13th 2018, 3:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Maybe we will have to be the ones offering advice to others!
COuld be useful for those who come after!
We have had a few in Townsville over the years, Jimtrish https://britishexpats.com/forum/members/jimtrish-29204/ are mates of mine who have been up there for a few years now since they moved out from the UK, and they love it - have a look for posts by them as you should find a bit of info there.
Old May 14th 2018, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

i was in Haypoint for 3.5 years on a contract and loved it. I would go back there in a heartbeat what you have weigh up is the positives Vs the Negatives, yep there is going to be snakes if you do see them just leave them alone 97% of snake bites are from people try to kill or harm them, crocs chances of see them is very small in your day to day life, and stingers (from October to May) this means you need a stinger suit to go in the sea during this season. I would not over think this though there are many hundreds of thousands of people that live happily in these areas. I would certainly not allow it to affect your decision to go. The pluses far far out weigh the negatives, if you like the out door life style this area along with a lot of Australia is paradise. The heat can be oppressive but you do get used to it and there is always aircon for the nights, I didn’t really have any problem with midges. I have never from day one ever had a problem with integrating into the Australian life style or had any negativity toward me for being English, you may get some banter if Australia is playing England but it is never malicious. Im not sure why you have chosen Townsville but it will be what you make of it everything is there for a great life style

PS
Iv just finished my latest contract in Europe and cant wait to get back one of the new contacts im looking at is back in Haypoint

PM if you want any more info
Old May 14th 2018, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
COuld be useful for those who come after!
We have had a few in Townsville over the years, Jimtrish https://britishexpats.com/forum/members/jimtrish-29204/ are mates of mine who have been up there for a few years now since they moved out from the UK, and they love it - have a look for posts by them as you should find a bit of info there.
Thank you we will do
Old May 14th 2018, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD
i was in Haypoint for 3.5 years on a contract and loved it. I would go back there in a heartbeat what you have weigh up is the positives Vs the Negatives, yep there is going to be snakes if you do see them just leave them alone 97% of snake bites are from people try to kill or harm them, crocs chances of see them is very small in your day to day life, and stingers (from October to May) this means you need a stinger suit to go in the sea during this season. I would not over think this though there are many hundreds of thousands of people that live happily in these areas. I would certainly not allow it to affect your decision to go. The pluses far far out weigh the negatives, if you like the out door life style this area along with a lot of Australia is paradise. The heat can be oppressive but you do get used to it and there is always aircon for the nights, I didn’t really have any problem with midges. I have never from day one ever had a problem with integrating into the Australian life style or had any negativity toward me for being English, you may get some banter if Australia is playing England but it is never malicious. Im not sure why you have chosen Townsville but it will be what you make of it everything is there for a great life style

PS
Iv just finished my latest contract in Europe and cant wait to get back one of the new contacts im looking at is back in Haypoint

PM if you want any more info
Thank you for your help, I'm sure we will love it. We set off next Tuesday and the last minute nerves are kicking in
Old May 25th 2018, 2:06 am
Just Joined

EssexOMG is an unknown quantity at this point

We are a UK family moving to Townsville in May and could do with some local knowledge. We have never been to Townsville, so are solely using google to gather ideas on the best areas, the weather and generally what we can expect. It's risky I know to base a life changing move on what the internet says but that's what we are doing so some advice from people who actually live there would be helpful.

We are renting, so where would you rent? and how much is reasonable when renting p/w?
Crime is mentioned a lot on google, that's starting to spook us a bit. What can we expect? what can we do to avoid burglary etc?
How well are English people received in the area? Are the English loved like in the USA or hated like in Scotland,lol? or somewhere in the middle?
Is the weather unbearable? midges unbearable? anything like that we might have underestimated?
I think we will end up near Bushland Beach, so the final question is, can you take a stroll on the beach without watching over your shoulders for snakes and crocs, lol?

These are all a bit negative, I suppose we are second guessing as we get close to our move. But we are super excited for the move and the area looks amazing, with everything we wanted. Australia here we come!!!

Thanks for any help in advance.
We moved to Townsville 8 months ago from, absolutely love it here. Have you moved over yet and where did you decide to live? If there's anything I can help you with ask away
Old May 25th 2018, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EssexOMG
We moved to Townsville 8 months ago from, absolutely love it here. Have you moved over yet and where did you decide to live? If there's anything I can help you with ask away
Hi! Yes we have literally just got here on Wednesday night 😂 not found anywhere to live yet, we want to be in the bushland beach/Burdell areas but just holiday renting at the moment (which is super stressful). Whereabouts are you? Do you have any tips on securing a rental?
Old May 25th 2018, 5:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Yes we have literally just got here on Wednesday night 😂 not found anywhere to live yet, we want to be in the bushland beach/Burdell areas but just holiday renting at the moment (which is super stressful). Whereabouts are you? Do you have any tips on securing a rental?
Welcome to Queensland.
Old May 25th 2018, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Welcome to Queensland.
Thanks!
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Just a quick update: We have been here 2 weeks now and we haven't seen a kanagaroo, snake, crocodile or spider. We stayed in Kirwan for a week, then a hotel in the CBD and now we are renting in Bushland Beach. Coming from the UK I have to admit, Kirwan is very different from what we are used to. The houses are older and we opted to go back into the city centre for week 2. The city was quiet to be honest and living out of a hotel is hard, we spent quite a few nights getting the family box from McDonalds. For anyone else in the UK reading, the positives are; the sunshine (even though the locals think its freezing at 24/25), the people are all friendly, the roads are fine and you only hit traffic if there is a crash (seen one so far).

There aren't any midges as yet to worry about. I hear they have crime in Townsville, mostly youths, so now that we are renting that's my biggest concern. Still waiting for a bank card 2 weeks on, still waiting for medicare cards, 1 week on. It's hard to get business done after 5pm and at weekends, which is a little different from the UK. The area of Bushland Beach we have chosen seems nice and we are happy with our choice. It will take some time to settle I expect.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 1:56 am
Just Joined

EssexOMG is an unknown quantity at this point

All I know about those suburbs are that they are on the outskirts of Townsville. We are in Rosslea having bought our own house 6 months ago so can't offer any tips on renting. Let me know how you get on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.