Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Townsville from the UK, any advice?

Moving to Townsville from the UK, any advice?

Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:57 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Townsville from the UK, any advice?

Your 2 week report reminds me of the diary of a pohm posted here in the past, I posted a link below rather than the whole thing but its worth a read. Your bit about it being 24/25 especially..................

https://rachelhenwood.wordpress.com/...s-really-like/
Old Jun 25th 2018, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

My son has been living in Townsville for 3 years now (Army). If you have any specific questions Iā€™m happy to pass them on.
Welcome to Australia šŸ‘
Old Jul 11th 2018, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update:

Downs: Jaffa cakes aren't real Jaffa cakes and Cadbury's isn't the real thing either. Australia is being scammed, both are way nicer in the UK. The hairdressers can't cut mens hair (at least not in where I live.) The internet for gaming is poor as it has to connect to servers in Sydney. The birds shriek in the middle of the night.

Ups: Petrol is cheap, the weather is nice, the food in the supermarkets is healthier, the people are chilled out, the roads are empty, the kids school uniform is relaxed. I have no idea what flavour Fruit Cup is, but its nice!
Old Jul 11th 2018, 10:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Update:

Downs: Jaffa cakes aren't real Jaffa cakes and Cadbury's isn't the real thing either. Australia is being scammed, both are way nicer in the UK.
correct
The hairdressers can't cut mens hair (at least not in where I live.) The internet for gaming is poor as it has to connect to servers in Sydney.
Can't comment on those
The birds shriek in the middle of the night.
yep
Ups: Petrol is cheap,
but distances are greater
the weather is nice,
debatable
the food in the supermarkets is healthier,
ditto
the people are chilled out, the roads are empty,
maybe
the kids school uniform is relaxed.
tell that to the kids who can't even take their silly hats off on a bus going home
I have no idea what flavour Fruit Cup is, but its nice!
Old Jul 11th 2018, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Heley1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey hi!
I hope you move went smoothly. We are moving from Newport, south wales U.K. to Townsville in Oct this year. Could you give us some advice? šŸ˜€
Old Jul 24th 2018, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Nattonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I moved from UK to Townsville.... actually to Magnetic Island.... in 2003. I loved being able to send christmas cards to the family with a return address that stated "Magnetic Island", imagining how green with envy they would be. It sounds so exotic!

For me Townsville was a place I worked. The commute to the island was wonderful... 7h10 ferry in the morning watching the sun rise higher in the sky, whales in whale season and turtles and dolphins all graced the waters as I skimmed by on a fast ferry that lasted 25minutes. I would have my breakfast and start the day off in such peaceful surroundings, ready for what the office would bring. There are 4 ferrys before 8h30 so there was no concern regarding getting a ferry to get to work on time and the bus meets the ferry on the other side. For me I would either walk or cycle into the office. Winter is wonderful time and really should not be called winter at all, with the occasional low temperature night of 8'C. Can you believe it ...8'C! Then the ferry ride back home at night I got to watch the sunset! It is wonderful to leave all your work troubles on the Townsville shore and step off the ferry already relaxed because I had a glass of wine while travelling across! No traffic for me! Perfect. Wednesday nights the sailing boats would be out doing there wednesday night sailing, which should be racing but really on the front 3 boats race, the rest use it as an excuse to have a sail and have a drink as the sun sets!

Summer does get humid, but that is what you have air conditioning for! It's like you survive the winters in the UK........ by going from your heated home, to your heated car, to your heated office to your heated shops, so in Townsville and North Qld in general you do with air conditioning in summer! But actually it's not long before you adapt, and while february is the worst month for humidity it becomes ok! And you dislike it no more than you disliked the rain and sleet and snow in the UK. What I love is spending most of the year in shorts and sandles! We snorkled throughout the year!

Animals......
On magnetic Island we have a resident koala who sits in the trees near our house, we have wallabies that hop through the garden most nights and birds garlore. While I say it is peaceful, it can be noisy due to the birds, but I love that! Possums come by and walk the fence every night and thumb across the roof. Crocs are few in Townsville and even less at Magnetic Island. The news papers are quick to report if one gets seen but they really dont follow you along the beach as you are walking - that is Cairns and above! There are more crocs up north... past Ingham and Mission Beach. Snakes are found occassionally but obviously the more rural your property is the more snakes you find. I did my snake handlers course and the best advice I can give is....... don't try to kill them.....Thats just stupid! ........ get a snake handler in. General rule of thumb....if it can climb (i.e. in a tree or your roof space etc) it is non poisonous (Python or tree snake). If you come across a snake, make sure the snake has a clear avenue for escape, stamp your feet really hard and it will move away from you. For a snake to produce it's venom it uses alot of metabolic processes, it really doesn't want to waste it on something it knows is way to big for it to consume! People make the mistake of trying to kill them, and of course if something big was trying to kill you, you would fight back! They offen seem surprised and offened when the snake bites them! A bit of common sense please!

And of course there is fishing and the great barrier reef is not very far away, in fact on Magnetic Island it is right there, in the bays, the reef, the fish, the turtles, they are all there. And if you make friends with a ranger you may get to help out when the turtles hatch!

Secruity..... I think this is very much the same as most cities across the world, the days of leaving your houses unlocked are gone. On Magnetic Island theft and major crimes is still very little and you are welcome to look at the police report which is published in the Magnetic Times. Many islanders still leave their cars unlocked but this is getting less and less. I have friends that lock the front door but leave the back door unlocked.

The Townsville Civic Theartre gets some great shows and Stage Door dinner theatre show on Magnetic Island is one of my favourites. There is a new stadium for sporting fans and fantastic parks and gardens. Bike tracks are well worth exploring too. And once a year the V8 motor cars race in the streets of the city! there is something for everyone and you just have grab ontothe sunshine livestyle and make a go of it!

Unfortunately I am leaving Townsville, Magnetic Island, my beloved house and will miss all of this dearly. I have really good memories from Townsville, Magnetic Island and the people are some of the best I encountered anywhere in the world! Property, in compared to the UK is cheap, especially on the Island where house prices have stayed constant for the last 10 years or so! For example my 3 bed house, with jacuzzi spar and large garden is going for $415,000. That's GBP233,000 for a quater acker (1021m2) property, stand alone house/bungalow! You can get some really good housing in Townsville and on the Island if you look, but make sure that you do pest a inspection as termites are everywhere! Especially on wooden houses, but brick build are not immune either as the inner walls between rooms have wooden frames. Look for "trails" up the walls, cracks in the cerment slabs and ask the estate agent when last a pest inspection was done. And make sure any house you purchase has planning approvals from Townsville City Council for any additions added, like patio roof or sheds, etc! They can be hard to get after you have bought the property and if there is no planning approvals it will make your insurance very expensive!

As long as you apply common sense when it comes to wild life, open your heart to the people and open your mind to place you will never regret your move. I never have!

Enjoy Qld, and Townsville and I hope you will at some time venture across to the wonderful Island I am now leaving, I regret it already!
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful post, Nattonk
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:08 am
Just Joined

PS.... wish someone had told me this when I first moved to Townsville...... Don't encourage the white cockatoos...... they eat everything. I mean everything! they will destroy furniture and trees and ornaments and decking.

And they are a bugger to get rid of once they have found your place!
Old Jul 24th 2018, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

We are planning our first trip out to Magnetic Island with the kids on one of the weekends coming up, could you suggest the best beach or places to visit for just a day trip? we had a chance to see the amazing animals at the Billabong sanctuary, so we can focus on more of a beach day this time around.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Great beach for kids - Alma bay. Alma bay is one of the smallest bays of the island, however it is one of the best.
Alma has reef within it and the scuba divers regularly dive the reefs on the righthand side of Alma bay. Pizza is available across the road and there is also pub there, there is heaps of grass and a shallow beach which gets quite deep eventually.

Another great beach is Horseshoe bay. Horseshoe is much bigger and has more restuarants, cafes etc nearby. Jet ski tours run out of here, there is kayaks and sailing boats available to hire most weekends. The is no reef easily visible at Horseshoe bay, you will need to snorkle a long stretch on either side of the bay to find reef and colourful fish. There is often a deep channel just off from the beach which allows for beach fishing of big fish and I have often seen a manta ray glide along it, but beware you will go from thigh deep to neck deep quickly. If you like long walks, picking up shells and sweeping vistas then this is the beach for you.

Both have play parks for kids, Both have safe swimming areas. Both have picnic tables and bbq. Buses stop at both beaches. Both have change rooms and toilet facilities

Picnic bay has the old jetty and if your kids are keen to try fishing this could be an option. If they want to snorkle amognst lots of tiny fish under the jetty, that is personal favourite for me. The left side of the beach is reef with a ship wreck - nothing on the scale of titanic! The pub has got fish tanks with all the cute fishes that can be seen in the waters of the bay. The kids pay area and toilet are across the road from the beach. The surf livesaving and nippers run out of picnic bay. There is picnic tables but slightly removed from the beeach area.

But if you are keen for a walk (and don't mind hills) and want something more private, without kids parks, shops, restuarants or public toilet and even less people. Walk to Alma or Florence (has toilets) or even Radical bay. Unless you have a 4 wheel drive you will have to walk. The road is bad.

But for my first weekend trip to Magnetic Island (or maggie us locals called it) you can't go wrong in either Alma, Horseshoe and Picnic bay.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Wow, perfect, thanks for the advice. They all sound good and I know my kids would like to try fishing but we have no gear. Is there a place where you can rent some or even better is there a place where they give you a lesson or something...maybe that's pushing it.

Fishing has to be one of the hardest sports for beginners (aside from maybe ski jumping, lol), but Townsville is big on fishing so I would like to get into the culture of the area. I had never heard fishing news on the radio until I got here.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Hi, Sorry was out and about..... you can hire fishing roda and other gear from Fish and Feul on the island, in Nelly bay. They will also give tips and tricks.
Or you could try to get out with Barnical Bill - if he is around - and he will take you and provide all the gear.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Perfect, going to head over to Crystal Creek this weekend then head over to Magnetic Island for the beach and fishing next weekend. As long as its sunny of course and like I heard the weather man say on the radio, "it's sunny all the time because we live in Paradise!". So far I would agree.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

srivaidyanathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have a potential job offer from Townsville. Currently living in the UK. How has your experience been so far of living there? Planning to move with my wife. Thank you

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 30th 2019 at 12:18 am. Reason: Deleted as very old thread. Undeleted at the request of the OP of the thread . They wish to reply.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 3:00 am
Arrived Oz Oct 2013

Elizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to all

We moved to Far North Queensland, six years ago from the UK. Yes, there are a few midges and yes it gets hot and humid in the summer but we absolutely love it. We felt at home here straight away and although in a smaller town than Townsville we were made to feel very welcome by the locals. Best move we ever made. Good luck I'm sure you will love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.