Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from Townsville?

Moving from Townsville?

Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice
Default Moving from Townsville?

We've recently emigrated to Townsville, Queensland and immediately knew that it is not the place for us. We are considering cutting our losses and returning back to the UK (although we don't like the thought of going back to nothing and living among all the things that made us leave in the first place).
We chose Townsville purely because that was where the job was. What we don't like about it is:
Everyone has a car because all the shops are out of town malls selling the same stuff.
The sun is so fierce and most of the streets are designed for cars and not pedestrians (no paths or shade) so that we cannot walk anywhere between the hours of 9 and 5 when the sun is out.
People are prisoners to air conditioning: moving from home to car to work and back again. Although the town is nice and clean, we came here to enjoy the outdoor lifestyle for our children but we are unable to because of the sun.
Food is ridiculously expensive.
It is a wealthy town and we get the impression that it is like extreme Thatcherism with wealthy farmers, businessmen and property developers making money and driving big 4x4s and living in out of town large houses with pools. We are not poor but we can't find a decent house because property developers are buying up all the houses to rent them out.
Can someone tell me if all Australia has most or all of these aspects? Is there a place in Australia where we won't need to own a car?
We were thinking about trying our luck in Tasmania, or Victoria. My wife is nurse and I am a recently graduated Engineer.
If we don't move elsewhere in two weeks we will be back to the UK.
Any help is appreciated please.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:02 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Townsville?

Try Melbourne - I don't know about nursing jobs but certainly there are a lot of nurses on here.

We walk or run every where. Local shops, local schools, good bus and train links. Car nice to have but if you really are against it, then not a necessity.

If you had to have a choice here on heating or air con then heating for me every time. It does get hot in summer but usually only lasts a few days and then a cool change comes through before heating up again. In fact it can be hot on minute and cold (or reasonably so) the next.

Property prices vary greatly and obviously depend where you live. check out the guide to living in Melbourne - you can find this doing a google search.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:12 am
Just Joined

CraigSarahGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are from Yorkshire, Mirfield to be exact. We have settled in Bushland beach which is paradise on earth, where are you living? We have just bought a new house which we love. We found just the opposite of what you have experienced with so many beautiful homes on offer at prices that would buy you a semi in Yorkshire with a garden the size of a postage stamp . We took a year out when we arrived in oz and travelled all around. We think this is one of the best places in oz, but we love the hot weather. If you prefer it cold then head south. I wouldn't be too hasty heading back to England what has it really got (apart from the obvious friends and family) that is so much better than here? How long have you been here? If you want to meet up for a beer and a chat pm us
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Can't understand the OP. Surely before taking a job you would do some research. look at the average temperature/humidity etc, search the real estate websites. Even a few searches on flickr and youtube will provide you with thousands of vids and photos of the town to show you what the streets look like!

Townsville is one of the few 'affordable' big cities left in Oz and is on the up, hence the developers - this also means potential profits for the average man in the street who buys!?

With regard to all the shops being the same in out of town malls - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that true of all large cities anywhere?

As far as walking, what about the strand/ross river walkways and cycle paths etc. Also everywhere I look there are shade awnings provided, even in the parks for dog walkers! Also free pools all over to cool down.

unless you hate the heat (in which case why accept a job in the tropics?) then with the exception of the summer months most of the year is not above about 80 degrees.

Also I would have thought that a graduate engineer would have been laughing with all the redevelopment works and mining jobs on offer. Townsville is set to double in size in the next 10-15 years so I can't think of a better place for an engineer?

I'm not having a go, it's just everything the OP posted could have been discovered with very little research prior to accepting a job in the tropics. I can't understand why you wouldn't?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

pasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to all

I'm living in Townsville and have only just started putting on t-shirts again as I have been that cold this winter! So if you are struggling now then you will be in trouble later on in the year!

Olias, I agree with you on your post. When are you making the big move?

To the OP if you have only two weeks left, its not going to give you long to research where you want to go next. Sorry you haven't enjoyed your stay here.

Sara
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:45 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neil51
We've recently emigrated to Townsville, Queensland and immediately knew that it is not the place for us. We are considering cutting our losses and returning back to the UK (although we don't like the thought of going back to nothing and living among all the things that made us leave in the first place).
We chose Townsville purely because that was where the job was. What we don't like about it is:
Everyone has a car because all the shops are out of town malls selling the same stuff.
The sun is so fierce and most of the streets are designed for cars and not pedestrians (no paths or shade) so that we cannot walk anywhere between the hours of 9 and 5 when the sun is out.
People are prisoners to air conditioning: moving from home to car to work and back again. Although the town is nice and clean, we came here to enjoy the outdoor lifestyle for our children but we are unable to because of the sun.
Food is ridiculously expensive.
It is a wealthy town and we get the impression that it is like extreme Thatcherism with wealthy farmers, businessmen and property developers making money and driving big 4x4s and living in out of town large houses with pools. We are not poor but we can't find a decent house because property developers are buying up all the houses to rent them out.
Can someone tell me if all Australia has most or all of these aspects? Is there a place in Australia where we won't need to own a car?
We were thinking about trying our luck in Tasmania, or Victoria. My wife is nurse and I am a recently graduated Engineer.
If we don't move elsewhere in two weeks we will be back to the UK.
Any help is appreciated please.
engineer i what???? Australia is a vast country and defo worth a look at other parts before headin back
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pasty legs
I'm living in Townsville and have only just started putting on t-shirts again as I have been that cold this winter! So if you are struggling now then you will be in trouble later on in the year!

Olias, I agree with you on your post. When are you making the big move?

To the OP if you have only two weeks left, its not going to give you long to research where you want to go next. Sorry you haven't enjoyed your stay here.

Sara

Hi Sara,

providing our house sale goes through, we are hoping to be there by the end of Sept!

Have been several times before and even got married there in 2005 (On the beach on horseback on Maggie Island!!)

I will be going back to uni as a (very) mature student at JCU

How bout you?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:25 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
engineer i what???? Australia is a vast country and defo worth a look at other parts before headin back
engineer in what I ment
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:40 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

yep.... looks like oz as to offer you best go now....
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:54 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

sorry.....nothing to offer you.....:
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

pasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Olias
Hi Sara,

providing our house sale goes through, we are hoping to be there by the end of Sept!

Have been several times before and even got married there in 2005 (On the beach on horseback on Maggie Island!!)

I will be going back to uni as a (very) mature student at JCU

How bout you?
September, what a great time to come, just before it gets really hot!

We have been here just over a year now and we are absolutely loving it out here. We had never been before but we have all settled in really well.

I have managed to get a wonderful job in Townsville Hospital working in the Emergency Department as an admin officer which is really interesting and never a dull moment.

If we dared suggest to our children (aged 3 and 4) that we wanted to go back to the UK we would be lynched! I can honestly say, that I am perfectly content with life here in Townsville. I didn't expect too much (as I thought I would be so homesick) but we have made plenty of good friends here, English, Portuguese, Germans, Dutch and Australians.

I look forward to meeting you all when you get over here. We will have to arrange a get together when a few more families arrive.

Sara
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:56 am
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

We have been here just over a year now and we are absolutely loving it out here. We had never been before but we have all settled in really well.

I have managed to get a wonderful job in Townsville Hospital working in the Emergency Department as an admin officer which is really interesting and never a dull moment.

If we dared suggest to our children (aged 3 and 4) that we wanted to go back to the UK we would be lynched! I can honestly say, that I am perfectly content with life here in Townsville. I didn't expect too much (as I thought I would be so homesick) but we have made plenty of good friends here, English, Portuguese, Germans, Dutch and Australians.

I look forward to meeting you all when you get over here. We will have to arrange a get together when a few more families arrive.

Sara
Hey there - we're moving to Townsville too, arriving early Jan, which I guess is not the best time of year to come - especially as we're spending Xmas/NY in Scotland - what a change that will be!!

I'm an doc & will be working at Townsville Hospital. Emma & I have 2 kids (6,9) and we're looking forward to the move. We have been in NZ for the last 18 months.

Count us in for a social!

Danny

Last edited by drdan; Aug 27th 2007 at 7:01 am.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

whitterz is just really nicewhitterz is just really nicewhitterz is just really nicewhitterz is just really nicewhitterz is just really nicewhitterz is just really nicewhitterz is just really nicewhitterz is just really nice

Sara
hi,
we are moving to Townsville early Dec(hopefully). I'm a nurse, got a job at the Townsville hospital. Coming over with my hubby and two boys.

Sarah xx
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Sara
One word to say to you..........CURRY!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Three words to say to you Rabc "organise it then!" Where and when?

A couple of you going to work at the Townsville General then. I have found everybody to be really friendly and welcoming there. Which departments will you be working in?

Look forward to meeting you all. PM me if I can help with anything.

Sara

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.