Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toowong , Queensland, nice areas, Rentals etc.

Moving to Toowong , Queensland, nice areas, Rentals etc.

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:08 am
Just Joined

heilel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toowong , Queensland, nice areas, Rentals etc.

So my wife and 2 kids are moving to Queensland in a couple of months.

I have a job waiting in Toowong, just outside of Brisbane and I'm looking for rental properties nearish Toowong, I don't mind a bit of a commute.
Would like to move to a family friendly, green area with amenities, schools close by etc..

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toowong , Queensland, nice areas, Rentals etc.

Data3?

The quieter pockets of Toowong can meet all of those requirements I think.

The only reason not to live there I can think of would be budget or you don't like character homes.

Would your commute be driving or would you prefer suburbs with an easy public tranport option to Toowong?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Data3?
??

Initially public transport, but defo getting a car pretty soon.
I would like to be able to cycle to work if possible tho, as I prefer to cycle than drive, but I have a full license etc...Don't mind up to a 45 minute cycle commute.

As long as a school is close, it's nice and green and family friendly/safe I'm good to go.
Access to a decent broadband connection/Cable/whatever is pretty important too as I work in IT and will work remote sometimes.

I'm not that keen on living in a built up area, so maybe suburbs would be more suitable, but then if an area in toowong is not a closely built up area, it might be suitable.

Not sure what is normal for a 3 bedroom house/apartment for rent. I would be ok with up to around 300 AUD PW.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Data #3 is a big IT company based in Toowong

Sticking to the Ipswich train line might be the most sensible idea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich...d_railway_line

If you look along this line it will give you an idea of suburbs. The more upmarket suburbs stop after Sherwood/Corinda so you will find more affordable houses after that but the quality of the govt schools may drop. You will have a lot better chance of getting a $300 rental the further out you go as $300 is a low budget for a family home in the area.

Not sure what you would consider built up. Toowong has a good lot of shops and businesses but also many quiet suburban streets (some very lovely) so it all depends which parts of the suburb you are in. Schools will be good quality and very leafy area.

A cycle path runs down the side of the western freeway so you could also work your way from Toowong down the western freeway and possibly into the centenary suburbs (Jindalee area).
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Ah, no it's not with Data3.

So Toowong sounds pretty nice then..
I have done a rental property search here:
http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/wi...16&mapLevel=13

and there's seems to be quite a lot available. Just not sure what all the areas are like.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Note you can cross at 3, through university of queensland onto Toowong.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Wow that's pretty cool, thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by heilel
Ah, no it's not with Data3.

So Toowong sounds pretty nice then..
I have done a rental property search here:
http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/wi...16&mapLevel=13

and there's seems to be quite a lot available. Just not sure what all the areas are like.
If you click on those results many are share accommodation...happy to give you a summary of area's you find.

In general the more expensive hilly, leafy, green suburbs with best quality schools run from the CBD out to Chapel Hill/Bardon on the north of the river + chelmer/gracevile. Once you cross to say Kenmore/The Gap going west or Jindalee going south it becomes more affordable (relatively and with exceptions) and still nice middle ring suburbs for a few suburbs...

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 2nd 2012 at 10:22 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow that's pretty cool, thanks
No worries, there are more bike bridges than that map shows btw but covers most on that side of town.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

ok, would only want to rent a 3 bed house/apartment, not actually sharing.
I don't need to live in a posh area, just a nice area with decent schools.

So South or West is cheaper and nice too? cool.
I will probs go with that then.

It's only accommodation for a while anyway, will be looking to buy at some stage, maybe after a year or so.

Thanks for the help btw, I appreciate it, I will have a closer look at the accommodations.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok, would only want to rent a 3 bed house/apartment, not actually sharing.
I don't need to live in a posh area, just a nice area with decent schools.

So South or West is cheaper and nice too? cool.
I will probs go with that then.

It's only accommodation for a while anyway, will be looking to buy at some stage, maybe after a year or so.

Thanks for the help btw, I appreciate it, I will have a closer look at the accommodations.
"In general" all around Brisbane the character home inner suburbs are dearest, then prices gradually drop as you go out around the 10-12km mark and then they shoot up again as you hit the first of the new build suburbs and then they start to drop again into the cheaper new build areas.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Maybe 300PW is a low estimate, I keep think in GBP terms rather than AUD, so I would be willing to go a bit above 300 AUD PW.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe 300PW is a low estimate, I keep think in GBP terms rather than AUD, so I would be willing to go a bit above 300 AUD PW.
Generally convert at roughly 2.2 to work out what your salary should be and how much things should cost.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:47 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Toowong is on the Ipswich rail line, but the line extends through the CBD up north to Caboolture and Strathpine as well as west to Ipswich, so any suburb along that route (Albion, Woolowin, Eagle Junction, Toombul, Nundah, Northgate) is worth looking at. North of Northgate the lines separate so train services are less frequent, but still OK for a commute.

The Airport Link tunnel has just opened so a car commute to Toowong from Toombul can now take as little as 15 minutes (no cycles in the tunnel!) - the downside is that it is a toll tunnel so will be pricey for a daily commute. In a year or so the Legacy Way tunnel will connect the Inner City Bypass to the Western Freeway at Toowong so the journey will be even quicker - and more expensive!

Last edited by KJCherokee; Aug 2nd 2012 at 9:52 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

I live in Toowong where it meets Taringa and Indooroopilly and it is lovely and quiet up here. One of the ladies I work with lives in Springfield Lakes and commutes into this area and spends just over $300pw in rent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.