British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Tasmania..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-tasmania-685913/)

WA.Brits Sep 18th 2010 12:58 am

Moving to Tasmania.....

Hi everyone...... Really after information on good and bad areas around Hobart. We live in Perth,WA. Have been here 5 years after emigrating from Brighton,UK. We are looking at moving to the Hobart area. Anywhere within 30 minutes of the CBD. Perth is too hot in the summer (had enough of 42c days!!!) We have 2 small girls, so near to good schools would be good. Any information is greatly received. Cheers Allan.
PS: We have found the only thing we miss from home is family. But they keep coming to visit any way. Why would you miss the M25 car park every day !!!!!!!

Jon77 Sep 18th 2010 6:34 am

Re: Moving to Tasmania.....

Hi there

I have family living in Hobart and it is a very nice place. If you can afford it the Sandy Bay area is one of the most sought after locations. It is where many of the wealthy and successful people of Tasmania live. There are some mansions perched on the hill side over looking the Derwent, some with their own boat moorings. We had a walk around there and thought that if we ever win millions we would buy a base there.

North Hobart is rather nice as well, again some nice views and a more affordable but good family area.

On crystal clear winters day in Hobart the air seems so clean and you can see for miles.

The only draw backs is that unemployment is always higher than mainland Australia and there are a few social problems with the young who often have limited activities.

WA.Brits Sep 18th 2010 7:07 am

Thanks for the info. We were looking at the Sandy Bay area but are looking to build and the blocks of land are quite expensive. We are looking at Kingston, Huonville (albeit futher out), Geilston bay and Sorell/midway point area. Any thoughts??

Dimond Sep 18th 2010 9:54 pm

18 kilometers from Huonville myself, having moved from Oxford area 3 months ago. As previous post says unemployment and wages are higher and lower respectively than the mainland but it is such a great beautiful friendly place, land and house prices not too bad even at current exchange rates (reasonable detached country house for £170K) if you can make a go of it it is great and there are lots of opportunities for those with initiative and jobs are there for those who want to work, either in Hobart or the local area.

Grove (north) side of Huonville is better if you want to commute to Hobart, Kingston or down the coast to Margate etc if you want more expensive sea views. Lots of areas like Mountain valley, Lucaston etc are good to on the Hobart side (30 mins to CBD). Kingston is a nice go-ahead town if you like a surburban house with close nneighbors close schools and shops. :)

Dimond Sep 18th 2010 10:07 pm

Further reply- we built near Huonville, ourselves. You can buy land for £90k for a decent (even acearage) block, building is expensive but you can get cheap package houses for £125K but I would count on spending 2-4 times that for a decent house including fees etc. Australian building standards (eg insulation, brick veneer etc) are not as high as the UK and I would not like to build a house without double glazing down here.

With a block which is a bit remote and a basic house with some DIY you could get by on £120K total for land and house. On the other hand £800K will get you a beautiful block of 20 acres and a high spec architect designed house.

WA.Brits Sep 18th 2010 11:58 pm

Hi. We have built twice in Perth, WA. The house we are in now is 4 bed, 2 bath, double garage, study, kids play room, alfresco for $500,000. The land was $240,000 for a 558sqm block. We are looking for a block of around 1000 to 2000sqm in Taz. Budget would be around $450,000. I have contacted a few builders in Taz, Hotondo homes seemed quite good. Could you pass on a few building companies that you would recommend.

WA.Brits Sep 19th 2010 12:07 am

Sorry I read your 2nd post before your 1st !!! Work wise I am a Printer/Graphic Designer. I think I will try something new in Taz as Printing is a bit of a dying trade and work in that field may be hard to find. Maybe set up a window cleaning round or mobile car valeting (detailing as they call it here). As you say there is work their if you want it. My neighbour keeps moaning he can't get a job (his a black cab driver from London) Now you cant tell me he cant get a cabbie or driving job !!

Dimond Sep 19th 2010 4:51 am

I can recommend builders but you would have to choose an area first as they are pretty local in range.

WA.Brits Sep 19th 2010 11:35 am

Huonville looks like a good place. There is a nice block in Grove on the net. I am planning a trip in november. It would be good to contact builders before I come over......

Dimond Sep 19th 2010 11:57 am

Our builder was good and he lives in Grove- look up Geoff Buxton on the net.

Sherlock Holmes Sep 19th 2010 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by WA.Brits (Post 8858506)
Hi. We have built twice in Perth, WA. The house we are in now is 4 bed, 2 bath, double garage, study, kids play room, alfresco for $500,000. The land was $240,000 for a 558sqm block. We are looking for a block of around 1000 to 2000sqm in Taz. Budget would be around $450,000. I have contacted a few builders in Taz, Hotondo homes seemed quite good. Could you pass on a few building companies that you would recommend.

Hi again,

Not Tazzie but one of our members is heavily into self build and may have some tips for you. Tell I sent you lol. His details are here.