Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving/taking my collection to oz with me or not?

moving/taking my collection to oz with me or not?

Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default moving/taking my collection to oz with me or not?

Has anyone who maybe had a hobby collecting take there collection with them to oz and if so what?
I know a strange question but i might have to think over this someday when i make the move,i have a very large collection of caricature statues they are made of chalk/plaster and are pretty fragile,i have been collecting say 7/8years and spent a fortune to get what i have today.
Some are so rare you would not beleive and i would think there are only two others in the world with a collection of these things like i have,as i have dealt with them both.
They vary in price when i purchased them and are much higher in value now cause they are no longer made or available,only from other people who have them and collect them and wish to sell.
Some are made as far back as the 70s right upto mid 80s.
I will not say how much each one could fetch these days,but some would be worth serveral times that of a not so rare one.

Now what would you do in my shoes,take them to oz with you or give up what i like and love and have been collecting the past years for,to try and get them again or collect them would be impossible.

I have in total say about 200 in all shapes and sizes most are about 18inch tall and some are 20inch and a few 24inch,Now i would and do plan on getting a container to ship stuff over but these would take up some room.

How would they be handled by the shipping company's with care or not worried and what about customs in oz,i am worried about them as there sure is a lot of moneys worth in this collection and i be gutted if i got there and most where damaged.

Also what about me packing them,would the shipping company have a issue with that,its just i know how best to pack these and wrap these,and would not trust anyone else packing them by myself,at least i would know i did them.

The day i have my tra and visa and sold house i will have to think what i will do with these,what would you do in my shoes,yes the money for them would be usefull but i really would find hard to part with them,well for now anyway,who knows maybe later and a few years down the line when i am in oz sell them,but maybe not even then.

Is it worth the risk,should i send them on there own and not with other household items,has anyone done something the same as this and took there collection with them no matter what it was the collected,mine is just a bigger collection than the average one and more fragile.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving/taking my collection to oz with me or not?

Originally Posted by brian.w
Has anyone who maybe had a hobby collecting take there collection with them to oz and if so what?
I know a strange question but i might have to think over this someday when i make the move,i have a very large collection of caricature statues they are made of chalk/plaster and are pretty fragile,i have been collecting say 7/8years and spent a fortune to get what i have today.
Some are so rare you would not beleive and i would think there are only two others in the world with a collection of these things like i have,as i have dealt with them both.
They vary in price when i purchased them and are much higher in value now cause they are no longer made or available,only from other people who have them and collect them and wish to sell.
Some are made as far back as the 70s right upto mid 80s.
I will not say how much each one could fetch these days,but some would be worth serveral times that of a not so rare one.

Now what would you do in my shoes,take them to oz with you or give up what i like and love and have been collecting the past years for,to try and get them again or collect them would be impossible.

I have in total say about 200 in all shapes and sizes most are about 18inch tall and some are 20inch and a few 24inch,Now i would and do plan on getting a container to ship stuff over but these would take up some room.

How would they be handled by the shipping company's with care or not worried and what about customs in oz,i am worried about them as there sure is a lot of moneys worth in this collection and i be gutted if i got there and most where damaged.

Also what about me packing them,would the shipping company have a issue with that,its just i know how best to pack these and wrap these,and would not trust anyone else packing them by myself,at least i would know i did them.

The day i have my tra and visa and sold house i will have to think what i will do with these,what would you do in my shoes,yes the money for them would be usefull but i really would find hard to part with them,well for now anyway,who knows maybe later and a few years down the line when i am in oz sell them,but maybe not even then.

Is it worth the risk,should i send them on there own and not with other household items,has anyone done something the same as this and took there collection with them no matter what it was the collected,mine is just a bigger collection than the average one and more fragile.
I collect/make stained glass and brought all my collection with me. Not a single nick or crack in any of it. I wrapped and crated all my own glass and finished pieces, as I know how to do it so it won't get damaged. If your statues are something you love then bring it with you.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: moving/taking my collection to oz with me or not?

Bring them with you. Why leave what you enjoy behind. Just hope they don't break on there travels.