Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney from Witney, Oxfordshire

Moving to Sydney from Witney, Oxfordshire

Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Bfamile4341 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sydney from Witney, Oxfordshire

Hi... just joined and hoping for some help and advice please.

Moving to Sydney in July, I will be working at the airport in Mascot and my husband will be looking for work as soon as we are settled a bit so just need some help really with suburbs.

We don't need to be near the city life, we prefer to rent further out so that we can get a bigger garden etc for the boys, we have two aged 6 & 3.

I keep being drawn back to Sylvania, Caringbah, Kirrawee, Loftus etc... are these a good choice for families?

What would be the commute into the airport from here? it would be by car as it comes with my job.

Thks
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney from Witney, Oxfordshire

I don't know the areas very well, but know a little about them and they are probably good options for you in view of the family size and location of work.

Where is your husband likely to be working? It can take an hour or so to get into the CBD from Sutherland, but this is usually required in Sydney to get the family sized properties.
Old May 1st 2014, 5:10 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

From those suburbs it may be worth actually using the train to get to your job, its a real car jam around the airport in the mornings.
Good suburbs, the first three are obviously on the Cronulla peninsular and get to the city via Sutherland train station. Loftus is closer to Sutherland itself and is a nice little suburb, as is Heathcote and Engadine next to it.
Gardens are premium so have a check on Domain and Real Estate web sites for house rental prices in those areas.
Good luck!
Old May 1st 2014, 7:51 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

hello and welcome
I lived in Witney for a bit as a child, I got married in St Marys and now Live in Sutherland.

the commute by car should take about half an hour depending on the route you take and the suburb you live in give or take 15 mins and depending on traffic.

Engadine is a bit further away but more affordable to buy. The suburbs you mention are all nice places with plenty of play spaces and near to Cronulla beaches and the National park and the schools I have been told are ok.

Sutherland is the best place for trains as it gets both the waterfall and Cronulla line trains so there is a train about every 10 minutes to the city most of them go to Wolli creek where you change to the airport line which is damn expensive as it's a private line at the moment.

Feel free to ask me for info I don't have young kids but will help as much as I can
Old May 1st 2014, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the shire. Great for a family. I'd drive. Freedom and flexibility. 20 mins in non rush hour. 30-45 in rush. Train probably the same once you change trains.
Old May 3rd 2014, 11:53 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be doing the opposite in July........The Shire (Woronora Heights) to Witney area.....and I work at SYD airport, for the next 8 days anyway!
All the areas you mention are good all round suburbs. Takes me about 25-30 mins to the International Terminal for an early start at 05:30, and about 45-50mins coming home in the afternoon around 16:30. I do cycle it as well which takes about 1:15 mainly on quiet roads and cycleways. Train to Wolli Creek about 40mins and $4ish.
I take it you have looked at property prices in The Shire? I have just sold my place which was a smallish 3 bedroom place and it went in the mid $700k, which meant it had gone up nearly $100k in 3 years. Property will be by far your biggest expense whether you rent or buy. Hopefully you have your own property in Witney, which isn't cheap either, and so will come into a balanced situation.
Schools out this way are good in general - my 2 six year olds go to Engadine West and I've got no complaints. They seem to have attained all the levels they should for the age.
I've enjoyed living here and it only really struck me last week when I did a quick trip to the UK for job interviews and took off over Cronulla and tracked back over The National Park. Typical situation of not knowing what you have got until you loose it.
Where are you going to be working at SYD?