Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney - Please help!

Moving to Sydney - Please help!

Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:35 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney - Please help!

Hi Yemi,
Manly is a great suburb to start. Thats what we did and the ferry ride to work is sublime (well, most times when the weather is not gale force 10!!). Its then a 5-10 minute pleasant walk to The Rocks.
Our company paid for school costs as we were also on a 457 and DEFINATELY ask for a relocation agent, saves you a LOT of time.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Yemi82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paddyo! Who do you work for!!!! I'd like my daughters school fees to be paid for!!! did they sort out your visa application and costs or did you have to pay for this and they reimbursed?
Could you recommend a good relocation agent?
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Definately go with all the help you can get like a relocation agent, immigration lawyers, removalists, etc.

For my relocation there was a budget and I squeezed every last penny out of it.

The HR bitch hid the budget piece from me until one day, when she was skimping on the next penny, I threw the toys out of the pram. So she threw me the budget and said "you manage it". Happy days

As for school fees, well no kids, but I have a passport anyway so it didn't matter, but I would certainly be fighting tooth and nail for that one.

Again, if they need you, which is the purpose of the 457, then they would pay for any costs not associated with "normal day to day" living.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Yemi82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Beoz! lmao @ squeezing every penny out. I hear you, thankfully my HR rep is lovely, I just hope the company pays for the upfront visa costs as I have mouths to feed and don't have that money hanging around.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yemi82
Hey Beoz! lmao @ squeezing every penny out. I hear you, thankfully my HR rep is lovely, I just hope the company pays for the upfront visa costs as I have mouths to feed and don't have that money hanging around.
Are you saying they expect you to pay for the visa too? This is not the done thing for a 457.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:31 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

In fact it is highly unusual.....THEY sponsor YOU and in most cases cover ALL costs. Usually