Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney - All Advice Needed!!!

Moving to Sydney - All Advice Needed!!!

Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

EmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really nice
Default Moving to Sydney - All Advice Needed!!!

Hi Everyone,
This is my first ever post on a forum (very exciting)! Anyway, I have a job transfer and am due to move from London to Sydney to start work mid-October, so far so good, only problem is I have no idea where to start or what I need to do before then in order to get myself on my feet. I would be so grateful for any advice on the following:
1. Finding somewhere to rent - is it possible to get something sorted before I arrive or will I should I come out earlier and stay in a hostel or something while viewing places? I'll be working in the centre, what areas do people recommend (good vibe/not too expensive)?
2. Banking - at a total loss here!!! The Commonwealth Bank have a branch in London which apparently I can use to set up an account over there, does anyone have any experience of this? How much money should I transfer to get myself set up? Is it worth getting a credit card over here to use over there?
3. Mobile Phone - How easy is it to set up a contract once in Australia? Im concerned that for things like setting up contracts etc I'll need proof of address, obviously I wont have this straight away.

I really welcome any advice. Sorry if some of the above questions seem ridiculously simple/obvious I'm pretty much straight out of uni and have only worked at my company for 10 months so as a fresh faced 23 year old it all seems a little overwhelming...exciting but overwhelming!

Hope to hear from you all soon.
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:00 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney - All Advice Needed!!!

Hi Emma and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Can't tell you much (nothing actually ) about Sydney but someone will be along soon I'm sure.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:07 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EmmaJane23 View Post
Hi Everyone,
This is my first ever post on a forum (very exciting)! Anyway, I have a job transfer and am due to move from London to Sydney to start work mid-October, so far so good, only problem is I have no idea where to start or what I need to do before then in order to get myself on my feet. I would be so grateful for any advice on the following:
1. Finding somewhere to rent - is it possible to get something sorted before I arrive or will I should I come out earlier and stay in a hostel or something while viewing places? I'll be working in the centre, what areas do people recommend (good vibe/not too expensive)?
2. Banking - at a total loss here!!! The Commonwealth Bank have a branch in London which apparently I can use to set up an account over there, does anyone have any experience of this? How much money should I transfer to get myself set up? Is it worth getting a credit card over here to use over there?
3. Mobile Phone - How easy is it to set up a contract once in Australia? Im concerned that for things like setting up contracts etc I'll need proof of address, obviously I wont have this straight away.

I really welcome any advice. Sorry if some of the above questions seem ridiculously simple/obvious I'm pretty much straight out of uni and have only worked at my company for 10 months so as a fresh faced 23 year old it all seems a little overwhelming...exciting but overwhelming!

Hope to hear from you all soon.
Thanks
Hi EmmaJane,

I don't know anything about Sydney but about 3 years ago we set up a CBA account prior to coming over here, via their office in London. We had no problems at all and we're still with the CBA at the local branch and happy. How much money you need is a personal thing, some people have said wouldn't move without $300k in the bank...lol...put it this way we came with a big fat zero compared to that and we have managed just fine

For a mobile if memory serves you do need an address and I think they ask a whole heap of questions but you will manage, I got one when living in a backpackers when we first arrived. I use Optus which has been great but depends on the coverage in the area you're in. Vodaphone seems to have a bad rep here. Telstra sucks too but that's just my opinion

All will be well How exciting for you!! Good luck!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I would find a hostel once oyu get here. The rental market in Sydney is bloody ridiculous and you need to turn up for inspections often to even be able to apply for the house. Unless oyu can find a private landlord then its tricky. You will also need 100 points of ID to apply. Bring any references you have from previous landlords, they will help.

Do you know what area you are hoping to live? How far do you want to travel? How will you get to the CBD each day?

If public transport then you will want to be somewhere along the train line, or at least near a direct to the city bus stop.

What size house do you want? How much are you prepared to pay for rent (be ready for some shocking prices)?

There are some suburbs I would completely miss.

Are you wanting a share house or your own place?

Not sure about banking. I have accounts with a number of banks and I chop and change all the time LOL.

Mobile phone, I am not sure about contract as I got a pre paid when I got here and I have stuck with it (on vodafone I spend 29 bucks a month and I get 150 bucks credit + free calls to other vodafones). Again, for either you will probably need ID and maybe an address type thing...probably be easier to get a pre paid initially

Good luck with your move! If oyu have any other questions about Sydney feel free to pm me!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

For renting, I would maybe look at google maps and the train network and perhaps get an idea of the proximity you want to live to the CBD.

I live in Five Dock which is not on the trainline. I catch the bus at the end of my street directly to the CBD each day. We are only 8 kms from the city but it takes about 40 minutes to get to work each day if I dont get an express train.

Obviously areas very close to the CBD can be very expensive for not much house. Generally the further out you go the cheaper the rent, except when you go up to North Sydney/Northern Beaches and there are some pricey areas in the Eastern Suburbs and the Shire.

Maybe if you want something a bit "trendy" go inner west at maybe Newtown or Erskinville or somewhere round there....though I can't comment on what the areas are actually like to live in or their prices.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

UKnurseinsydney is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Moving to Sydney - All Advice Needed!!!

Hey

Check out a webiste called 'Gumtree' and look for flat shares & unit shares in Sydney. There are millions! I have lived in three different houses with different people and can live close to the beach in a good area for a lot cheaper than if I rented on my own!! A lot of young people live in the eastern suburbs- bondi, coogee etc
I am with the commonwealth, they have branches everywhere and good rates. I brought about $10,000 with me but then I went travelling for 7 months before I got a job!!
You'll LOVE it here
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

EmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really niceEmmaJane23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by UKnurseinsydney View Post
Hey

Check out a webiste called 'Gumtree' and look for flat shares & unit shares in Sydney. There are millions! I have lived in three different houses with different people and can live close to the beach in a good area for a lot cheaper than if I rented on my own!! A lot of young people live in the eastern suburbs- bondi, coogee etc
I am with the commonwealth, they have branches everywhere and good rates. I brought about $10,000 with me but then I went travelling for 7 months before I got a job!!
You'll LOVE it here
Thanks guys
My initial thought was to live in either Newtown/Glebe or Bondi area and to spend about 250 a week (is this crazy??) I'm used to the London commute so don't mind traveling a bit into work but ideally no more than 45 mins. I'd love to live by myself but really don't mind sharing which sounds like its just as well as everyone keeps saying how much rent is!

Banalana, where are the areas you would completely miss?? this sounds like vital info I need to know lol

Thanks UKnurseinsydney that's really reassuring about the commonwealth. I was thinking of transferring about about 4,500 AUD (to include bond and first couple of weeks rent) does this sound about right?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

UKnurseinsydney is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Moving to Sydney - All Advice Needed!!!

Yes that sounds good, the bond will be less if you live with other people too. Bondi is where a lot of young people live, there is a train to the city from bondi junction.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

If you are transferring with the same company then I think they should be offering to put you up when you first arrive, that would be normal with my firm. Four weeks is a normal duration. If they havn't offered this then I would go back and ask, and say that you are aware that many companies offer this.

Bondi isn't a bad place to start but is vastly overrated (but I'm too old to really appreciate it). Places like Glebe, Five Dock, Leichardt are good with good street life.

Sharing is definitely the way to go: keeps costs down initially and gives you time to suss out what you like and what you can afford.

You may as well open a CBA account, we started with them, later moved to St George, but all the banks are pretty much the same. You will be shocked at the bank charges over here!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:32 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Do be wary about any ads for flatshare that want money up front. If you have a quick search on BE, this came up very recently and the recent thread contains some links to horror stories.

Never hand over money until you have seen the place for yourself.

If you are being transferred, maybe your employer will help you out in the early days. Ask HR, they may have budget to put you in a serviced apartment for a week or two - or at least the services of a relocation agent to help you find your way around.

Agree with all the suburb suggestions. Best of luck
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killerhales View Post
Bondi isn't a bad place to start but is vastly overrated (but I'm too old to really appreciate it). Places like Glebe, Five Dock, Leichardt are good with good street life.

Sharing is definitely the way to go: keeps costs down initially and gives you time to suss out what you like and what you can afford.
Agree with this. We currently live in Five Dock and love it.

Bondi is not our cup of tea, too many people at the beach - touristy etc.

If you are coming without kids, I would either go Eastern Suburbs, or Inner City because they are I guess "trendy" and a bit younger.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

I stayed in the YHA hostel on Pitt St & Rawson Place opposite Central Station for a few nights - first time in a hostel since November, 1978 in Perth. It was good too as I did not like the idea of sharing a room but I had great room mates. I don't think there is any limit on how long you stay??? There's another hostel called 'Bounce' on Chalmers St on the other side of Central which looks OK (from the outside.) I've only been in the bar.

I live in Surry Hills which I like very much as I hate commuting and love being able to walk just about everywhere. Glebe, Newtown, are just as good. I can't think of any suburb in the inner city where I would not live. Even places like Redfern which I used to fear after dark have changed. Don't be frightened of Kings Cross either as there are plenty of places there. I used to walk thru there every day and night to and from work at Garden Island.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaJane23 View Post
Hi Everyone,
This is my first ever post on a forum (very exciting)! Anyway, I have a job transfer and am due to move from London to Sydney to start work mid-October, so far so good,
Is this intended to be a permanent transfer? - or a temporary secondment.
The visa you get should reflect the substance of the arrangement. Problems arise when people think they have emigrated permanently but only hold a temporary visa.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

lucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant future

Coogee is a great place to live as everything on your doorstep but you will need to share as can be expensive. Its by the beach and only approx 25 mins into city on the bus.

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/f-cooge...KeywordZcoogee

There are a few youth hostels in coogee so you could stay in one whilst you search for somewhere to live -here is one http://www.surfsidebackpackers.com.a...-coogee-beach/

good luck
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lucyloo View Post
Coogee is a great place to live as everything on your doorstep but you will need to share as can be expensive. Its by the beach and only approx 25 mins into city on the bus.

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/f-cooge...KeywordZcoogee

There are a few youth hostels in coogee so you could stay in one whilst you search for somewhere to live -here is one http://www.surfsidebackpackers.com.a...-coogee-beach/

good luck
25 minutes to the city by bus?? LOL

That's a little short. We got the bus from the City to Coogee for a work function and it took almost an hour....at 1pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.