Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney - advice on suburbs and schools please

Moving to Sydney - advice on suburbs and schools please

Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

yorksinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sydney - advice on suburbs and schools please

We have been living in Brisbane (Bayside) for 4 years and are very likely to be moving to Sydney at the end of the year. We need to decide quickly where we are going to live and find a good school in the area, as my daughter will be starting school next year. Any advice would be gratefully received.

A bit of background info to help...

My husband is an architect and will be working in the city. I'm currently a stay at home mum, with a 5 year old and a 2 year old. If/when I go back to work, I will be looking for work as an account manager in the design/branding industry. We have some friends who live in North Manly who we are likely to meet up with fairly regularly, but don't think we'd be able to afford to live there. We probably wouldn't want to pay much more than $650-700 per week for a 3 or 4 bedroom house.

In the UK we lived in SW London (Earlsfield) and probably would have moved to somewhere like Walton on Thames if we'd stayed in the UK. We want to be somewhere where there's plenty going on, good cafes/restaurants and activities for the kids. Ideally we'd be within a 20 min drive of a decent beach. We would probably be looking at a state primary school for my daughter - or a catholic school, if we could get a place at such short notice. We've enjoyed the Brisbane lifestyle to a certain extent, but have missed the 'sophistication' and cultural side of London. We'd like to live in an 'old' suburb, with a bit of character to it, rather than one that is all new housing estates.

Would be very interested in people's views - and any school recommendations.

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Sydney - advice on suburbs and schools please

I think that would be a very tall order in Sydney at that rent. You'd have to compromise a bit on your wishlist. Maybe live in a townhouse or unit in a beachside suburb like Coogee or Bondi? Or compromise on the 'plenty going on' part and move to the Northern Beaches? Or compromise on the 20 mins to a beach part and move to the Inner West?

You need to tell us what is most important to you? When you visit Sydney which areas do you gravitate towards?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
I think that would be a very tall order in Sydney at that rent. You'd have to compromise a bit on your wishlist. Maybe live in a townhouse or unit in a beachside suburb like Coogee or Bondi? Or compromise on the 'plenty going on' part and move to the Northern Beaches? Or compromise on the 20 mins to a beach part and move to the Inner West?

You need to tell us what is most important to you? When you visit Sydney which areas do you gravitate towards?
Agreed the OP is asking a lot for a modest rental, best to look on domain.com.au & see the kind of properties available, we saw a large number of unrenovated houses for that much & more i.e. kitchens & bathrooms out of the 60/70's. In the kind of areas you're alluding to you may be looking at an apartment rather than a house.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

yorksinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear, I hope we're not expecting too much - not exactly encouraging comments so far! We definitely don't want to be in a unit or apartment - we're coming from a 4 bed house with pool in Brissie (for much less rent)!! I don't think Bondi area would be our scene - too young and trendy for us! Maybe I should clarify that when I say lots going on, I'm thinking more for families - not bars, clubs etc! I think Northern Beaches - or other Northern suburbs - are what we'll be tending towards, based on what we know already. Just don't know which suburbs exactly! Have, of course, already had a bit of a look on domain.com and realestate.com - but was just hoping for some first hand knowledge of specific suburbs!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:39 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look at Sutherland Shire. We have lived here for almost two years, and wouldn't move anywhere else. We are an hour or less from the CBD by train (depending on where you are in Sutherland Shire), there is plenty for families to do, rents are more reasonable too.

Let me know if you want any more specific info!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I think Sutherland Shire is more equivalent to Bayside than the others mentioned. Sydney is on a completely different scale to Brisbane.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorksinoz
Oh dear, I hope we're not expecting too much - not exactly encouraging comments so far! We definitely don't want to be in a unit or apartment - we're coming from a 4 bed house with pool in Brissie (for much less rent)!! I don't think Bondi area would be our scene - too young and trendy for us! Maybe I should clarify that when I say lots going on, I'm thinking more for families - not bars, clubs etc! I think Northern Beaches - or other Northern suburbs - are what we'll be tending towards, based on what we know already. Just don't know which suburbs exactly! Have, of course, already had a bit of a look on domain.com and realestate.com - but was just hoping for some first hand knowledge of specific suburbs!
I'd personally take a $40-$50k p.a. pay cut to move to Brisbane tomorrow and feel I'd be as well off - it all seems so much more affordable there. In Sydney I'm on a good wage in a fairly stressful job, pay a small fortune in rent and commute 2+ hours a day to work in the CBD.

We looked at Sutherland and it wasn't for us but I know many people like it, its still not exactly cheap either.

Last edited by freebo; Oct 31st 2010 at 7:26 am.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
I'd personally take a $40-$50k p.a. pay cut to move to Brisbane tomorrow and feel I'd be as well off - it all seems so much more affordable there. In Sydney I'm on a good wage in a fairly stressful job, pay a small fortune in rent and commute 2+ hours a day to work in the CBD.

We looked at Sutherland and it wasn't for us but I know many people like it, its still not exactly cheap either.
I was going to suggest the Shire too, it's not just Sutherland.

The Shire (sometimes known as God's country to the locals ) includes Miranda, Caringbah, Gymea, Cronulla, Sylvania, Wooloware, Engadine, this whole area is very Aussie compared to others, no specific "ethnic" areas of any note etc......
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorksinoz
Northern Beaches and Northern Shore suburbs are expensive places to live. We have recently been through the whole househunting thing and I do not think you will find anywhere decent in these areas on that budget, which is very modest for a house in a Sydney suburb. I think the Sutherlandshire advice is good, it was an area we considered but just didn't see the right place at the time.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Oct 31st 2010 at 12:24 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Undecided99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Northern Beaches is an expensive area but it is still possible to get a 3 bedroom house for $700, though almost certainly without a pool... I know Earlsfield very well - my sister lived there and we looked at houses in the area too at one stage - and Walton-on-Thames is where I grew up so I think I know the sort of feel you're after and I can thoroughly recommend the Avalon area where we're living.

It's got a really nice family, village-y atmostphere - quite arty and a quite a lot of ex-Europeans which makes it quite multi-cultural. The primary schools in the area are very good and there's loads going on for young families. This high up on the peninsula you're never more than 10 minutes from water - either the ocean or Pittwater - and it's quite green. The other bonus is that out of peak hours, you can get into Sydney to get your City-fix in less than an hour. When looking at Realestate.com.au check out Bilgola Plateau, Mona Vale, Newport as well as Avalon.

BUT, and this is the big but, it is not the best place to be if you need to commute into the city daily. There is no train so you're dependent on the buses or the car and it can take over an hour - more like an hour and a half in peak traffic. Having said that, people do do it - they tend to leave early and get back early(ish). They do it because the life up here is so good at weekends etc. We certainly love it.

Good luck making a decision!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Undecided99

BUT, and this is the big but, it is not the best place to be if you need to commute into the city daily. There is no train so you're dependent on the buses or the car and it can take over an hour - more like an hour and a half in peak traffic. Having said that, people do do it - they tend to leave early and get back early(ish). They do it because the life up here is so good at weekends etc. We certainly love it.
Depends whereabouts on Northern Beaches, we commute to the CBD every day and it is a pleasure. One of the best commutes I have ever had in my working life. We would hesitate to go as far north as Avalon though because then as you say, it would start to get a bit long.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Whereabouts are you Bermudashorts?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whereabouts are you Bermudashorts?
Collaroy, near Longreef.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Collaroy, near Longreef.
So how long do you reckon it takes you to commute into the city from there? Just curious really...
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So how long do you reckon it takes you to commute into the city from there? Just curious really...
I don't need to reckon.

Takes me five minutes to walk to the bus stop and then about 40 minutes on the bus. No complaints here, I am used to a much longer journey to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.