British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-sydney-766244/)

RadarControl Jul 25th 2012 7:46 pm

Moving to Sydney

First want to thank all who provided advice over the last two years. Finally got my 176 visa two months ago and currently working out my redundancy period. I will be heading to NSW in October as they have sponsored me.

Just wondering if anybody could recommend any good short\long stay apartments to base myself in until I get sorted. Also any recommended websites for looking for house or apartment shares?

Tim86 Jul 25th 2012 8:28 pm

Re: Moving to Sydney

Where in Sydney do you want to be based? I'm heading over shortly and will be staying in a serviced apartment for 2 months before I sort my own place out,

Mine is in parramatta, but I'm looking to live in glee, new town or similar!

RadarControl Jul 25th 2012 8:37 pm

I'm actually very open minded to where I base myself initially and settle eventually. I have no specific requirements as it is just me heading out. Service apartment must be near good transport links and have internet. Once I get a job will look at getting something more permanent along that commuter route.

paddyo Jul 25th 2012 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by RadarControl (Post 10193045)
I'm actually very open minded to where I base myself initially and settle eventually. I have no specific requirements as it is just me heading out. Service apartment must be near good transport links and have internet. Once I get a job will look at getting something more permanent along that commuter route.

well, pick your spot!@!! If it is just you and you are looking for a job then I would go for the cheapest you can for a short period. That way your finances are not drained whilst job searching, this market is not brilliant at the moment so be prepared to wait a while or compromise.
As for actual location, jeez, depends on what you want to do during the day and evening and the best location for the industry you wish to get into.

martin1978 Jul 26th 2012 11:15 am

I live near parra Tim. A lot of people don't really like it because it's"out west and scary". It's not that bad though and theres a couple of decent pubs there. If you fancy a beer once you're here give me a shout. We've got a real football team as well now.

martin1978 Jul 26th 2012 11:17 am

Radar.
Flatmatefinders.com.au

paddyo Jul 26th 2012 3:01 pm

Ignore Martin1978....he's gone feral!!! Para is NOT where you want to start your adventure in Australia!! :)

martin1978 Jul 26th 2012 5:47 pm

He said he's already got the place in parra for 2 months. Got to make the best of it somehow.

Bermudashorts Jul 27th 2012 6:17 am

We stayed in the Fraser Suites on Kent St in Sydney for the first five weeks. Was a very good base for us.

Zen10 Jul 27th 2012 7:16 am

Originally Posted by martin1978 (Post 10194123)
I live near parra Tim. A lot of people don't really like it because it's"out west and scary". It's not that bad though and theres a couple of decent pubs there. If you fancy a beer once you're here give me a shout. We've got a real football team as well now.

Is that the place I hear about every day when I wake up and on the news they're talking about the latest shooting/stabbing/murder/bashing in "Sydney's south west"?

lapin_windstar Jul 27th 2012 12:20 pm

No. Parramatta is not in SW Sydney. It's west, but actually further north than North Sydney.

Zen10 Jul 27th 2012 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 10196236)
No. Parramatta is not in SW Sydney. It's west, but actually further north than North Sydney.

OK thanks. Anyone know what suburbs they mean when they say "Sydney's south west"??

Tim86 Jul 27th 2012 6:07 pm

happy days! sounds like a lovely place!

i had no choice in the matter I'm afraid, it has been arranged by the company that i will be working for! - can't say no to free accommodation!

i wasn't intending living in the area, rather live closer to town!

AndrewMarilyn Jul 27th 2012 9:13 pm

try

http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

Dreamy Jul 27th 2012 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tim86 (Post 10196738)
happy days! sounds like a lovely place!

i had no choice in the matter I'm afraid, it has been arranged by the company that i will be working for! - can't say no to free accommodation!

i wasn't intending living in the area, rather live closer to town!

There's really nothing wrong with Parramatta as a short term base. Transport links are excellent! Like any city, you need to be careful where you wander off to at night but Himself works there and he goes out drinking on a Friday after work a couple of times a month, never had any problems.