Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney

Moving to Sydney

Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

nixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nice
Default Moving to Sydney

I've decided to move to Sydney as I'm finding it very hard to get a decent wage in Belfast these days, despite having a Masters Degree and a good range of skills. I have sorted out my VISA, flights and accomodation but I am a little concerned about money. As I have just finished UNiversity I will probably only have a maximum of £1000 (sterling) with me as start off cash so I am planning to try and get a job as soon as I can when I arrive. Can anyone give indicators where is best to apply for work, or even hints or tips about CV format(my cv here is probably a little too heavy for temp work in Syndey).

I guess I'm asking if anyone can basically say " apply for this sort of job, through this company"!

Be really grateful for any help offered! (beers will be bought in Sydney)
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney

I assume you are coming out on a working holiday visa, and if so I can only assume your accommodation is sorted in a backpacker hostel.

If this is the case then don't worry at all, once you arrive at your hostel there will be a load of other people in your same position who you will meet who will know sites/places/people with jobs (backpacking/temp jobs) the hostel usually has lists of agencies and companies that do work for people on the WHV.

But in general if you are looking for temp work in Sydney you shouldn't have a problem. If you want things like office/admin temp work, or temp in banking etc try agencies like "Julia Ross" "Manpower" "Adecco" etc.

Don't stress, you'll be fine once you arrive.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

nixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nice

Thanks Canadaeh, I was worrying a lot about what would it would be like when I head over there. I'm going to be living with a relative for a while util I find some people to flat share with so hopefully that will help to. Are you in Sydney yourself?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Hi

Seek is worth a go to.... they have the option to search for temp work too and you can upload your CV now so one less thing to do when you get here

www.seek.com.au

What kind of work do you do/trained in?

Good luck
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

I've had a fair bit of work experience, i've got a few years in admin, one year in IT support, 4 years customer service, 1 year as a gardener and then if you go back to when I was younger around 7 years working on a farm. On top of that I have the usual array of GCSEs, A-Levels and then an undergraduate Degree in Modern History and a Masters Degree (Equivalent to an Australian Masters) in Modern History as well.

So any advice on what anyone thinks I should apply for would definately be welcome!!!