Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to Sydney

moving to Sydney

Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

mattie n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Sydney

Im moving with family to sydney (Sutherland Shire) in Sept. I was thinking of going early to get house near school, get kids registered in school etc.. as can't find any agency that will help with this before we go. See this facility available in other cities - so just wondering if anyone has had recent experience of using such an agency in Sydney. Would perfer if we all went together-but need it organised on the other side. any suggestions?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:23 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Sydney

Hi there, do you mean a relocation agent? We did use one (company provided) but they didn't go so far as to meet us at the airport, organise bank accounts, that kind of thing - all of which I have seen mentioned on here.

We used them to arrange visas, hotels, a rental, furniture rental, provide location information, etc.

Let me know if you want me to dig out the details.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

We too are hoping to be out in June/July time and hubbys job is in Sydney and i have been looking at this same area.We wont have time to come before then and only found out this week we are coming so lots to think about! What areas have you looked into? We have two boys 8 and 4 so also need to think about schools any recommendations?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:16 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emma75
We too are hoping to be out in June/July time and hubbys job is in Sydney and i have been looking at this same area.We wont have time to come before then and only found out this week we are coming so lots to think about! What areas have you looked into? We have two boys 8 and 4 so also need to think about schools any recommendations?
Bear in mind that Oz school year started late Jan/early Feb. For your 4yr old, he can either start school in the year he is 5 or the year he is 6. Check the NSW schools website as you will need to align the birth dates with your school start options.
It is very common here for kids to start in the year they are 6, we have this problem as we think our lad (5 on 25 Mar 2010) is ready for school but are a bit concerned he will be younger/smaller/less mature socially than his peers. Bit of a 'suck it and see' issue I think.
Whereever you live, the local school HAS to accept your children for enrolment so although you may not have choice initially you will at least get them started on education and out of your hair. Then as you get used to the area and learn more then maybe you might want to move them/leave them where they are.
Take a look at the My School website which gives a list of tables for school performance, but also be mindful that, particularly with Junior schools, it is the Principal who guides the performance.
http://www.myschool.edu.au/
Hope this helps!!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

he is 5 in june this year. He has already started school here, in fact by the time we come he will have finished his first year at school and would be going into year 1. I would say he is more than ready, and the thought of him being at home again scares me! so i guess he would be one step a head really of the other kids. Meant to say we are also coming in on a 457 visa so other than the fact we have to pay for the kids to go to school does this mean they would not get priority anywhere? Thanks for the link. Emma
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi there, do you mean a relocation agent? We did use one (company provided) but they didn't go so far as to meet us at the airport, organise bank accounts, that kind of thing - all of which I have seen mentioned on here.

We used them to arrange visas, hotels, a rental, furniture rental, provide location information, etc.

Let me know if you want me to dig out the details.
HI Seasider - Yes - thats what I'm looking for - just want help with rental property really - don't want to book somewhere over the internet without it being vetted. Thanks for details if you are able to locate them
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:18 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattie n
HI Seasider - Yes - thats what I'm looking for - just want help with rental property really - don't want to book somewhere over the internet without it being vetted. Thanks for details if you are able to locate them
I'll PM you.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:46 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Mattie, as a matter of course, no decent realtor in Sydney will let you rent without inspecting the property first. We used a relocation agent, luckily paid for by the company, to arrange viewings etc for us outside of the 1215-1230 usual weekend slots and they ferried my wife around as well.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

he is 5 in june this year. He has already started school here, in fact by the time we come he will have finished his first year at school and would be going into year 1. I would say he is more than ready, and the thought of him being at home again scares me! so i guess he would be one step a head really of the other kids. Meant to say we are also coming in on a 457 visa so other than the fact we have to pay for the kids to go to school does this mean they would not get priority anywhere? Thanks for the link. Emma
Emma, be very careful about using the 'step ahead of other kids' statement here, the ozzies are very sensitive to British superiority and it will turn every single mother against you at the school gates!! lol You know how competitive you mums can be!!!!
Also, just because you have to pay does not give you any priority at all, you have to be taken in by the local school (IF it has the facility to accept 'temporary students') but thats as far as the NSW education system goes. Have you looked at private schooling??? If you are paying anyway then you might check out the variation in price and see if its worth doing that, then you WILL have a choice.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ooops! didnt mean it like that i meant that because they are temporary students did that maen that some schools wouldnt take them. Where we live here the local school is a nightmare to get into and kids are always on a waiting list, places are like gold dust! So what i meant was as they are from temp students would that go against them if places were limited. I will re read my posts back next time, LOL! Thanks for the advice. Emma
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:15 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

ooops! didnt mean it like that i meant that because they are temporary students did that maen that some schools wouldnt take them. Where we live here the local school is a nightmare to get into and kids are always on a waiting list, places are like gold dust! So what i meant was as they are from temp students would that go against them if places were limited. I will re read my posts back next time, LOL! Thanks for the advice. Emma
lol...No worries!!!
I'm not sure about limited places Emma, I read it that ALL local children HAVE to be accepted, but, with regards to temporary I have used a bit of license with that. I have not heard about any kids being turned down for their local school here but I am sure some will be quite happy to share their horror stories with you.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
Just Joined

What I'm looking for the agent to do is just get short term (Furnished) accommodation for about 1 month - I'll do the final long term rent when I get there. The problem is that the kids are enrolled in Jannali high school and will be starting school the week after we arrive - so I need something identified before we get over that is in the Jannali region.

Its seems I can't see PM's until I've 3 posts made so this should be it!!! Strange restriction! (The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with more than 3 posts)
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

What I'm looking for the agent to do is just get short term (Furnished) accommodation for about 1 month - I'll do the final long term rent when I get there. The problem is that the kids are enrolled in Jannali high school and will be starting school the week after we arrive - so I need something identified before we get over that is in the Jannali region.

Its seems I can't see PM's until I've 3 posts made so this should be it!!! Strange restriction! (The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with more than 3 posts)
If its just for one month the agent will just book you a Serviced Apartment, which you may as well do yourself. Here are a couple of links which may be useful:

http://www.directory4u.com.au/suther...ommodation.htm
http://www.sutherlandshireaustralia....ories.asp?id=6
http://www.myhome.com.au/rent/nsw/sy...hire/cronulla/
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks - this is what I am looking for........
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Emma, don't worry the visa and paying won't affect your priority negatively. We've just be through the applying for school stage and they basically take you in and then you get a bill for fees. I'm guessing that for a fee paying person it would just be added on to that statement.

My son had kind of started school in September in the UK, but he only really did 4 weeks on and off because we knew we were coming over and were busy visiting people. He's loving it over here. They are ploughing through the work quickly, don't have the same free flow from inside to outside and don't have as many toys in the classroom, just the educational bricks and stuff. They only just got their first reading books home this week (week 6) but have been learning sight words.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything about Kindergarten out here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.