Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney

Moving to Sydney

Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:53 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney

Jetcat 15mins and they run every 30mins or so and extremely reliable.

Has now been replaced by a new Fast Ferry service, takes 20 mins but is privately owned.

It would make a very nice intro to living in Sydney but the downside may be finances restricting to apartments but with $1000pw you'll be laughing.

Err...no! There are places for $1000 but North Manly and Manly Vale or Balgowlah would be your best option, still good for buses and ferry into CBD.

BTW away from home allowance does not appear as taxable income so its an excellent way to go but would have a time limit of at most 2 years.

No, LAFHA is not restricted to 2 years.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:54 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cariad
Just looking for some information from all you guys in Sydney. I know these questions have been asked before but am just after a little advice. It looks like we will be relocating to Sydney with my OH's job,he will be working in North Ryde area.What I wanted to know was

1. nice suburbs to live around this area,we have a three year old so nice established areas pls.
2.rents are expensive I know,so if any recommendations for places to live further out these would be great too.
3.are there lots of meet ups in the area for people with/without kids?

Everyone has an opinion on what they want from an area I know that. What we want is nice area with parks,walks,playgroups etc with relatively easy commute to OH's job.

Hope someone can help

thanks

C
I like the look of Gladesville and West Ryde if you want to be close for travel.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by wvink
Hi there!
I have similar question as the initiator of this thread!

We are a family with 2.5 kids (pregnant & 2y & 4y) moving to Sydney in november on a 457. What would be a nice area / suburb for us?

- I'll be working in CBD. Ideally i'd live max 40 minutes from office (door-to-door) by use of public transport. (the closer the better!)
- The area should have nice primary schools, some parks/playgrounds. childfriendly.
- Rent: because of LAFTA i could pay up to $1000 per week on rent. A house with only two requirements: (at least) 4 bedrooms and small garden.

My wife has a romantic thought about Manly, but I presume that would be 'a bit' expensive and would take me an hour to go to work? (pls correct me if i am wrong).
I have no clear motivation why i would completelty close out the western part but by just glancing at the map I would prefer to be closer to seaside.

It would be very nice to hear your thougths!!
Thanks
Wim
I live in Manly and work in Woolloomooloo (sheep toilet cow toilet!!). I have a 2 bed apartment bang on the Esplanade with stunning views across the Heads and over to Rose Bay. Our rent is $650 per week, was $700 but landlord reduced it cos we are great tenants!! Seriously!!
Our friends have a lovely 3 bed with studio annex about .5km away and pay $850 pw rent. I get the ferry to CBD then walk or bus, my friend gets the bus to Wynyard, both options are good. If you are in the CBD it is easily within the 40 min range.
Loads of parks, beaches, restaurants etc. Manly is very family centric up until about 11pm, then the idiots come out to play, but we don't see them and its no different than any other seaside town the world over.
In my opinion you could find a suitable property within $1000 pw and with good transport links to the CBD within the Manly/Fairlight/Balgowlah area.

However, as you are on a 457 visa the ATO requires that you have a taxable Mininum Salary Level (MSL) dependant upon your trade/profession. You need to ensure that any LAFHA you qualify for does not take you below that MSL, if it does then your LAFHA will be reduced to meet that level. For example, you earn $150k, your MSL is $49950, your LAFHA (food at fixed rate and Rental at agreed or actual rate) plus any Novated Lease (car) you might have totals $110k. This would make your MSL $40k, so your rental component would be reduced to bring all your non taxable entities to $100050 and thus ensure your MSL is at $49950. You do need to bear this in mind when working out your take home pay as it will impact upon what you really can afford to rent.
Any advise you need just ask!!!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Just looking for some information from all you guys in Sydney. I know these questions have been asked before but am just after a little advice. It looks like we will be relocating to Sydney with my OH's job,he will be working in North Ryde area.What I wanted to know was

1. nice suburbs to live around this area,we have a three year old so nice established areas pls.
2.rents are expensive I know,so if any recommendations for places to live further out these would be great too.
3.are there lots of meet ups in the area for people with/without kids?

Everyone has an opinion on what they want from an area I know that. What we want is nice area with parks,walks,playgroups etc with relatively easy commute to OH's job.

Hope someone can help

thanks

C
Don't live in North Ryde.. your life will be over, there is nothing there apart from offices a shopping centre and el rancho!! Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:11 am
Just Joined

cariad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your great replies,really useful info. the OH wants to live far out and commute in but for the first 6mths think it would be easier to be closer to work.
We are looking at Lane Cove as suggested here and were wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with rental agencies down there.
Are the places that are available now not so good thats why they are available or is there just good supply of rentals?

Would it be in our favour if we found rental we liked to say offer 3mths rent up front to try and secure it any thoughts?

once again thanks a lot

C
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:05 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your great replies,really useful info. the OH wants to live far out and commute in but for the first 6mths think it would be easier to be closer to work.
We are looking at Lane Cove as suggested here and were wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with rental agencies down there.
Are the places that are available now not so good thats why they are available or is there just good supply of rentals?

Would it be in our favour if we found rental we liked to say offer 3mths rent up front to try and secure it any thoughts?

once again thanks a lot

C
We live in Lane Cove and find it to be a wonderful suburb... very green, all types of property, excellent transport into the city, and one of the best selection of shops/low traffic main road combinations in the area.
Definately check it out
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Seasider
LAFHA
Ok so what is LAFHA?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Ok so what is LAFHA?
Living Away From Home Allowance, search on here, plenty of threads. Or check out the ATO website and get the official lowdown.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

once again thanks a lot

C
Lane Cove is lovely. And you would be going against the flow of traffic from Lane Cove to North Ryde.
Dont dismiss the suburbs around your husbands work. We live in North Ryde and find it to be a very family friendly suburbs with great parks, plently of shops and it's a great central location with good travel links across the whole of the city (30 mins drive to the Eastern suburb beaches, 35 mins to the Northern Beaches, 25 mins to Castle Hill, 20 mins into town -- these timings are all outside of rush hour!) There are local libraries and plenty of play groups. Local primary schools all have good reputations. We kind of ended up here initially because we wanted to be near to DH's work but havent regretted it. East Ryde & Ryde have some lovely bits as well. Good Luck