Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney on 457 - taking bicycle

Moving to Sydney on 457 - taking bicycle

Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice
Default Moving to Sydney on 457 - taking bicycle

Hello,

I've been lurking for some time on this forum, reading up as much as possible on the sound advice given here for a potential move to Australia. So, I've been offered an intra-company transfer on a 457 visa. My company does do LAFHA so I'll be able to take advantage of that.

Anyway, I'm hoping to move just before Christmas (visa permitting) and I was wondering on my options for bringing my bicycle with me for the move to Sydney. Ideally, I'd like to bring it with me on the plane so that I can use it as soon as I arrive - rather than waiting for it to be shipped with all my other stuff. What is the best option? Having it as hold luggage seems a bit pricey vs the value of the bike. Having it sent as unaccompanied luggage looks like a decent option, but I haven't found any info as for cost. Does anyone have any experiences of bringing their bike with them?

Thanks in advance.

LP
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney on 457 - taking bicycle

Originally Posted by litepurple
Hello,

I've been lurking for some time on this forum, reading up as much as possible on the sound advice given here for a potential move to Australia. So, I've been offered an intra-company transfer on a 457 visa. My company does do LAFHA so I'll be able to take advantage of that.

Anyway, I'm hoping to move just before Christmas (visa permitting) and I was wondering on my options for bringing my bicycle with me for the move to Sydney. Ideally, I'd like to bring it with me on the plane so that I can use it as soon as I arrive - rather than waiting for it to be shipped with all my other stuff. What is the best option? Having it as hold luggage seems a bit pricey vs the value of the bike. Having it sent as unaccompanied luggage looks like a decent option, but I haven't found any info as for cost. Does anyone have any experiences of bringing their bike with them?

Thanks in advance.

LP
Swop it for a fold up bike and stick it in the overhead locker!!

I'm assuming its a decent bike and quite pricey. It really is your call whether or not to pay the extra funds to ship it over by flight and also take note that as it has been used outside it will have to have a full Customs and Immigration check so that none of that filthy UK soil gets into Oz. May take a couple of days anyway.
Or, you could ship it with your other stuff and wait for it to arrive, if you are desperate and can't wait, pay out $150 for a cheap stand in when you get here and then sell that when yours arrives!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:41 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

LP
I’m a keen cyclist myself and unfortunately I did not have the luxury of bringing it on the plane. Can I assume it’s an expensive road bike?? If so, I would suggest purchasing a decent bike travel box (not cheap) but worth it if you value your bike. Make sure it’s clean of all dirt (as Paddyo has already suggested) Also depends who you are flying with as it may be considered excess baggage. If you are flying BA then you can pay an extra 40 pounds or so for extra luggage up to 23kg, but take into consideration the weight of the bike box.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:48 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

LP
Hi there and welcome to B.E. and sorry this is a bit late.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I see that you have already started gathering answers so I'll leave you to it.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice

Thanks all for the prompt replies, excellent advice and the welcome to the forum.

The bike is mid-range, so it's worth about £500. The thing is, you get quite attached to the thing and I thought I'd need it most when I first arrive, to explore Sydney and the immediate area particularly as it'll be summer when I arrive.

The BA idea is not a bad one - I'll look into it. I had hoped to fly on the Qantas A380 (I've already been to Aus on the Singapore one) though from what I can tell, they're quite pricey on the additional luggage - unless I get the bike sent by air unaccompanied.

I have read about disinfecting the tyres etc - I'll do it myself, but I do expect customs to give it the once over.

It might be worth getting it put into the container and getting a cheap one to tie me over - which I can always sell on again, hopefully for the same price.

Thanks,

LP.