Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney with 2 young children

Moving to Sydney with 2 young children

Old Mar 30th 2019, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Chrisgm1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sydney with 2 young children

Good evening,

i‘m new on here and just signed up as our start for a new life in Australia begins. I’ve lived in Australia before 09-11 but this time it’ll be with my wife and 2 boys (1yo & 4 yo) who’ve never been. We’ll be relocating to Sydney, where I used to live (bondi).

i have a couple of questions to kick off:

what age age do kids start school / where are the best primary schools?
what locations should we be look at living with a family? Our plan is that my wife won’t work for at least the first year to get into the life and look after our boys and we will have a good stash of money from our house sale to plan for this. We would love to be by the beach but understand this may not be achievable, we’ve been recommended the northern beaches north Sydney to look around but I do love the bronte/bondi side from what I remember. I guess I’m looking for specific areas that are good for young families and ones where we can get into the area and make friends and my wife can make friends easily to.

thanks

Old Mar 30th 2019, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney with 2 young children

A lot will depend on where you will be working and your budget tbh. Property prices have soared since 2011, although they are falling slightly now ...in some areas.

The commute can can be a real issue so worth thinking about. If you give us an idea of work and budget it will help. Or do a quick check on realestate.com.au to get a feel for prices, rentals and sales.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Chrisgm1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at 700-1200 p/w

iddalky would like 3 beds bug understand may have to sacrifice for 2 dependent on location.

i’ll be working in the CBD.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

In NSW kids start school the year they turn 5 before 31 July although if their birthdays are March onwards they're probably recommended to wait for a year. The best schools tend to be in the most better/more expensive suburbs. If you're arriving on a temporary visa then school fees are going to cost you $5k per kid per year. Find a suburb which has available properties in your price range and had access to all the other facilities you think you might need and where you like the look of the neighbours because that will largely dictate the appeal of the school, Schools usually fall into place when you've found your 24/7 home.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 11:29 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

What visa? As this may affect greatly on school fees?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The northern beaches commute is hell unless you can live in Manly and work at the Circular Quay end of the CBD.

If Bondi is your pick but unaffordable try South Coogee or Maroubra. You are only 15 mins away from Bondi if you need your Bondi fill. Despite it's old reputation I find Maroubra a great beach for kids. The pub there is awesome too.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 3rd 2019 at 8:58 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 6:16 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Beoz;12665263]The northern beaches commute is hell unless you can live in Manly and work at the Circular Quay end of the CBD.

If Bondi is your pick but unaffordable try South Coogee or Maroubra. You are only 15 mins away from Bondi if you need your Bondi fill. Despite it's old reputation I find Maroubra a great beach for kids. The pub there is awesome too.[/QUOTE YOU

you can get a bus from many of the Northern Beaches to the CBD and it will take between 30-40 mins at peak time. If you have a young family and are British 1 would recommend that part of Sydney. It's very family friendly.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FHI
you can get a bus from many of the Northern Beaches to the CBD and it will take between 30-40 mins at peak time. If you have a young family and are British 1 would recommend that part of Sydney. It's very family friendly.
30 mins from Wynyard only takes you as far as Warringah Mall according to the timetable. Then there's getting to Wynyard or getting to your home at the other end, and around Warringah mall is not a very nice place.

Decent and affordable beaches are way further north than Warringah Mall.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:23 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chrisgm1981,

I recommend Rose Bay or Vaucluse. You can get a good 3 bedroom place for the price you mentioned.

Vaucluse does has its very rich parts but it's also great for families and is fairly quiet, lots of parks, cafés and close to Bondi.

In terms of transport to the CBD from Rose Bay you can be there in 15 mins on the ferry. I walk 30 mins to the ferry from Vaucluse.

There aren't as many public schools here as other areas but Vaucluse Public is pretty good as is Rose Bay School.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 11:21 pm
FHI
Forum Regular

The Northern Beaches area includes those suburbs that are directly on the beach eg Manly, Freshwater, Dee why, etc. These are very expensive to live in if you are looking for a family home but reasonably affordable if you are looking for a unit. Most British families I know live a suburb or two away from the beach e.g. Balgowlah, Alambie , Frerichs Forest, etc. These areas are very family friendly, easily commutable to the CBD (I do it every day) and only a short drive to the beach.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 11:27 pm
FHI
Forum Regular

Vaucluse is stunning but one piece of advise I would give is only consider Vaucluse it you think that you can eventually afford to buy there -its off the scale expensive. I have met many people who start off in an area, make friends, kids in school, etc. but then realise that moving from renting to buying is a huge leap and they end up having to more to a new suburb and start again.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FHI
Vaucluse is stunning but one piece of advise I would give is only consider Vaucluse it you think that you can eventually afford to buy there -its off the scale expensive. I have met many people who start off in an area, make friends, kids in school, etc. but then realise that moving from renting to buying is a huge leap and they end up having to more to a new suburb and start again.
Could be best explained by a news story like this one.

.Barnaby Joyce struggles on Aud 280,000