Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving stuff or buying new

Moving stuff or buying new

Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving stuff or buying new

How expensive or cheap is things in OZ? is it worth taking every thing, for example, new PC cost £1000 here I would get about £300 if I sold it now, what would a good system cost there, I am guessing it would cost £100 to ship it ?

Where as my large computer desk, ( ok from IKEA ) cost £140, again is it going to be worth taking it or getting a container a chucking it all in.

Do we bring the TV, washing Machine ect.... will they all work ok, again it is difficult to know what to do, to sell everything ( cheap ) here and buy new over there, although we will be renting for a while, or ship it all out there, only to find things don't fit ect
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving stuff or buying new

Sticky topics at the top of this forum - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774

See the 5th item down ...

Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bobstevens
How expensive or cheap is things in OZ? is it worth taking every thing, for example, new PC cost £1000 here I would get about £300 if I sold it now, what would a good system cost there, I am guessing it would cost £100 to ship it ?

Where as my large computer desk, ( ok from IKEA ) cost £140, again is it going to be worth taking it or getting a container a chucking it all in.

Do we bring the TV, washing Machine ect.... will they all work ok, again it is difficult to know what to do, to sell everything ( cheap ) here and buy new over there, although we will be renting for a while, or ship it all out there, only to find things don't fit ect
Hi,
a couple of my close friends have done the big move to Oz., and both sold everything over here and bought new over there. They have both stressed to me, that if they were going to do it again, they would ship everything over!!!!! It would save a lot of money but most of all, time.
Hope this helps you, I am going to ship all our worldly posspossessions over, and anything we dont/cant use, dump!
All the best

daveandkathh

T.T.F.N.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:28 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bobstevens

Some things are cheaper, some more expensive, some on a par...depends. I only bought the stuff from the UK that I really did not want to get rid of ...sentimental stuff and some really nice furniture. All my ikea stuff I got rid of because it costs more shipping it than what the stuff is worth. They have Ikea in Oz too.

I just bought a good PC for $1300 and a printer/scanner/copier for $90. My large computer desk cost me $149. Shippers told me wasn't worth bring my TV or washing machine so I've bought new. They were about the price of UK ones though. Definitely not worth bringing fridge/freezer as they can't work to the capacity needed in the weather here.

All depends if they are worth the cost of shipping really....??
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that it's a good idea to make a yes/no decision: ship just about everything or next to nothing.

We had a lot of old furniture and sold a lot of it before we left; are buying new here. We would have done better if we'd got rid of the lot and started afresh.

The "marginal" cost of bringing extra things is probably quite low, so if you are going to bring *some* things I would say bring the lot - it won't cost that much more.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Does everything from the uk work in Oz, TV, Washing Machines, Dishwahers ect ?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

I am not too sure about relative costs but what I would say is to bear in mind the gap between you arriving and your stuff. We shipped pretty much everything (apart from wardrobes & fridges/ freezers and our air-con unit).

Things we did leave were our everyday china and cutlery etc. cos we figured that we would be in a rental place before our stuff arrived and so would need to have basics sooner than the container could be delivered. Also we figured that once you have got your container booked it may as well come over full than 3/4 full.

We didn't bring the tumble drier - it was quite old but worked - thinking we wouldn't need it for quite some time but I find on the humid days washing doesn't dry very quickly outside.

We also packed a very small screwdriver set in our luggage - it proved to be invaluable til our stuff arrived - mostly to replace batteries etc. but also when the "electrician" needed to change all our plugs to Oz ones!?!? Also bring a couple of uk multiplug / extension leads - you can have your electrician put an oz plug on it and then still plug in all the UK plugs - i.e. phone chargers, camera chargers, etc.

Not sure if this is really quite on track for your question but hope it might be useful
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

Yes - but of course you will need an anti-clockwise filter for the back of the washing machine / dishwasher to cope with the water spinning anti-clockwise on its way down the plug of course!?!?!??!

Joking aside - washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, tumble drier = fine
TV = fine but you need a set-top box or cheap video to put the signal into the TV rather than straight of the house arial.

CD players etc - CDs spin the other way (well that what we managed to get one of our friends to believe for quite some time!)
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:15 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We're shipping those things that we know will be more expensive over there (leather suite, PC, Washing Machine etc) but we have also been very ruthless with our 'getting rid'! We've sold loads of things on Ebay and they have gone really well. Most of it is stuff that we can do without and possibly wont even replace in Oz.

I look at it this way. If you really like something then its worth waiting for it to be shipped across - but if its something that you would possibly replace in the future then get rid and treat yourself in your new life - its not very often that you get a chance to 'cleanse' your entire life so make the most of it thats what I say!

Rach xxxx
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>CD players etc - CDs spin the other way (well that what we managed to get one of our friends to believe for quite some time!)<<

But the electronics invert the signal so's it comes out of the speaker the right way round. That's what the DVD "Regions" do; it's just the same.

Plus, of course, you have to put the discs in shiny side up.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
We're shipping those things that we know will be more expensive over there (leather suite...
Don't know how much you paid for your leather suite, but we priced one up in Harvey Normans when we were out at Xmas - very high quality (well comfy), consisting of 3 person sofa, two person sofa and armchair for $1500 (that'd be £635 in old money). I'd be *really* surprised if you could beat the price and quality in the UK PCs are very slightly more expensive, but washing machines didn't seem to be. Not having a dig, just saying how we found things
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

We shipped everything!!!... and don't regret it at all.. the only thing that stopped working with in a couple of weeks was the tumble dryer.. so I have to hang everything out now.. no dramas though as everything is dry in about an hour.

Friends on ours didn't ship anywhere near as much as us (we brought a 20ft container + 13 boxes, they brought about 1/2 a container, hardly any furniture) but the cost was just £500 less.

Good luck
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:14 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Don't know how much you paid for your leather suite, but we priced one up in Harvey Normans when we were out at Xmas - very high quality (well comfy), consisting of 3 person sofa, two person sofa and armchair for $1500 (that'd be £635 in old money). I'd be *really* surprised if you could beat the price and quality in the UK PCs are very slightly more expensive, but washing machines didn't seem to be. Not having a dig, just saying how we found things
Thanks for that. Sorry what I should have said was that we'll be shipping the things that we couldnt afford to replace with what we would get for them 2nd hand. Our washer, pc and and suite are all only around 18 months old. As much as I'd love to sell it all and buy new we can't justify the extra cost unfortunately!!

Certainly good to hear that things aren't as expensive as I'd thought though - cheers!

Rach
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's really old and worrn out BRING THE LOT!

Unless you spend top dollar over here on furniture/appliances you will get absolute CRAP quality which will break or fall apart within weeks.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Renth. Bring everything. Whatever you don't need or use you can sell. Aussies love buying 2nd hand stuff & you'll get a good price for it. You should see some of the crap people sell & buy here at garage sales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.