Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Southern River Perth

Moving to Southern River Perth

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

amoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Southern River Perth

Hi My husband has been working in Canning Vale /Perth for 16 mnths and my son and i are visiting in November to decide if we want to emigrate next year. Can anyone hep us with local knowledge of transport, local sightseeing , housing and general information so we can do/see as much of the area a s possible as hubby might have to work so will be on our own some of the time. Thanks AMOC
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Southern River Perth

I was looking at this area a while back. I'll list everything, but most you'll probably know.

The issues for us were mainly transport (I work in the CBD). The main crossroads are always gridlocked and there is no train line (the industrial line from Thornlie to Coogee is supposed to go through at some point after the current underground work int he city is finnished, but we could be talking 20years - the station land is ready up by Nicholson & Bannister I believe).

There are some nice new estates, but I'd be wary of the Temples (Sikh and Hindu) just because of the traffic they can cause. There is also a detention centre & recycling plant there which I'd not want to live near.

Jandacot is all small planes, so I'd not be worried about that.

Generally the houses are nice and on big plots, but the estates can be fairly anonymous and it's very suburbia. More shops are slowly appearing though.

Local sights? Erm, get the bus to Cockburn and head into the city.

Rockingham is nice for sitting on the beach (they also do dolphin spotting/swims from there), there is a nice beach for snorkeling at Point Perron. Otherwise, get a car and head to stuff on this thread :-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696255

(We didn't move there in the end, we then started looking at the Guildford area - then stopped because of the airport. And eventually bought in Bayswater).