Moving From Scotland To Brisbane - Need Info

Wikiposts

Moving From Scotland To Brisbane - Need Info

Old May 9th 2005, 2:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Moving From Scotland To Brisbane - Need Info

Originally Posted by brisnick
technically not brisbane though.....

that's like saying you live in leeds when if fact you live in barnsley, or you are from manchester and really you live in wigan, or liverpool and really you live in chester, or derby/nottingham, or birmingham/coventry, etc, etc....
But only 10-12 minute drive away from the Brisbane City Council border.

Many people coming from the UK also consider Ipswich, Logan, Caboolture, Pine Rivers, Gold Coast, Redcliffe and Beaudesert areas to be Brisbane, but technically they aren't

Old May 9th 2005, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

try this site too

http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneB...ex.php?act=idx

we applied for the visa whilst pregnant, you just have to wait until after the baby for the meds, but they are a way down the track of applying anyway, so you could start the ball rolling now.
took us 18 months from speaking to agent to getting visa.

We bought in Bayside Brisbane for £144k, a 4 bed with nice size garden. I'm sure you can get something Ok for £100K but the more you can save the better of course. We decided to buy one and do it up to save money for example, hard work but we'll get what we want at the end.

Put a budget together now, stuf like airfares, movers etc all costs !!

We find Brisbane great for us as a family and quite affordable and the local state school to us seems great, daycare too is quite affordable though hard to get a place.

V
Old May 9th 2005, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Hello Bell Family

I'm from sunny Kilbirnie - but I will dain to talk to a Beithite! Me and my hubbie have been living in Brisbane since January (no kids). We love it here.

We spent 9 months travelling around Australia and think Brisbane is definitely the place to be. Young vibrant city, easy access to some of the best beaches in the world, big city living in a really nice clean environment, good outdoors life style and excellent weather.

We were a bit worried about the heat, so made sure we had air conditioning in our rented flat. The worst months are probably January and February, where it can feel like sauna or really oppressive before a storm. I’d have the heat any day over Garnock Valley's dreich weather for 9 months of the year.

The only thing I would warn you about is the dosh. I know that you can have a really nice house for £100000 in the valley, it just doesn't work like that here. Houses are around 5 - 7 time your average wage! We were perhaps a bit green about the money situation before we came out here. We don't earn any where near what we did in Scotland, but we probably have a similar standard of living as we are renting just now.

Try the application thing yourself. If your hubbie has all his paper work in order for his skills assessment and there is no complication in your family set up it should be pretty straight forward. Loads of people will give you help on here when you get stuck ('cos you will).

Good Luck with the baby and your future plans.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You'd have been even more surprised back in 1982
Median House price in 1982 for Melbourne was $50,500, yet Brisbane was $55,100.
10% MORE expensive in Brisbane

Melbourne then proceeded to shoot ahead in prices, until 1988 when Melbourne was 50% higher than Brisbane, with Melbourne being $113,000.00 and Brisbane being $74,900.00.

Then Brisbane played catch up again until 1995, with Melbourne being $144,500 and Brisbane $134,000.

The Melbourne shot ahead again until 2001 when Melbourne hit $316,000 with Brisbane lagging way behind at $200,000.

The Brisbane shot ahead again......

However, I read in the paper that Melbourne has now picked up it's prices again, with Brisbane expected to follow in about 12-18 months time.
Very interesting to see the differences historically. Surely the Brisbane median hasn't gone from $200K in 2001 to $350K now as someone claimed?

OzTennis
Old May 9th 2005, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
And I live in Brisbane & think Melbourne is too wet, cold & miserable for most of the year. Yep, you're right, its subjective, isn't it?
I think the long term drought, water restrictions and reservoirs at just over 60% capacity dispels the 'too wet most of the year' theory. If you come from Beith in Ayrshire the Melbourne winter will hold no fears temperature wise!

Just for the record, the BOM reports that Brisbane has an average of 1,185 mm of rain falling on 122 days; Melbourne has an average of 544 mm falling on 140 days.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040223.shtml
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086282.shtml

OzTennis
Old May 9th 2005, 9:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Very interesting to see the differences historically. Surely the Brisbane median hasn't gone from $200K in 2001 to $350K now as someone claimed?

OzTennis
The actual median for Dec 2004 from the REIA quotes Brisbane as $309,000 but that is the median for all parts of Brisbane. The 2001 figure was $200,000.

I think the $350,000 would be a specific part of the Brisbane area, maybe Brisbane East.

For example:
Current (March 2005) figures for Brisbane North are:
Houses $330,000
Units $265,000

Brisbane East
Houses $394,000
Units $295,000

Brisbane West
Houses $295,000
Units $229,000

My area, Bayside South, is:
Houses $325,000
Units $200,000

Old May 9th 2005, 9:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

Just for the record, the BOM reports that Brisbane has an average of 1,185 mm of rain falling on 122 days; Melbourne has an average of 544 mm falling on 140 days.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040223.shtml
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086282.shtml

OzTennis
Perhaps, but Brisbane also has roughly double the annual rainfall of London & I know where I'd rather live .

Interestingly those 2 links also show that Melbourne averages 45 clear days a year whilst Brisbane has 122. Melbourne also averages 183 cloudy days/year & Brisbane has 108. Like I said, subjective, isn't it?
Old May 9th 2005, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Perhaps, but Brisbane also has roughly double the annual rainfall of London & I know where I'd rather live .

Interestingly those 2 links also show that Melbourne averages 45 clear days a year whilst Brisbane has 122. Melbourne also averages 183 cloudy days/year & Brisbane has 108. Like I said, subjective, isn't it?
Yeah, I decided not to selectively quote the clear and cloudy days.

Subjective the weather certainly is!

OzTennis