Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving From Scotland To Brisbane - Need Info

Moving From Scotland To Brisbane - Need Info

Old May 9th 2005, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

bell family is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving From Scotland To Brisbane - Need Info

This is my first time here and hope some of you guys can help, you all seem really clued up and this seems to be the best site. We are hoping to migrate to Brisbane in 2007 (expecting 2nd child Nov 05) want to save till 2007 then all move out. We have been planning this for years and once our family is complete we want to make the move for a better lifestyle and upbringing for our children. Has anyone else taken this decision and found it to be the right one? I would like to know if Brisbane and surrounding areas are safe and decent for families as we are fed up with the West of Scotland and the schooling that lays ahead for our kids. Also, is the weather bearable, what are the bugs like, is it the outdoor lifestyle that it says it is. Is there a big expat community and what are the best areas to live in - wanting to purchase for about £100,000. To move in July 2007 when should be start applying for out visas?

Sorry for the length of this but have so many questions.

Thanks for reading - hope you are still awake!!
Old May 9th 2005, 12:28 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving From Scotland To Brisbane - Need Info

Originally Posted by bell family
This is my first time here and hope some of you guys can help, you all seem really clued up and this seems to be the best site. We are hoping to migrate to Brisbane in 2007 (expecting 2nd child Nov 05) want to save till 2007 then all move out. We have been planning this for years and once our family is complete we want to make the move for a better lifestyle and upbringing for our children. Has anyone else taken this decision and found it to be the right one? I would like to know if Brisbane and surrounding areas are safe and decent for families as we are fed up with the West of Scotland and the schooling that lays ahead for our kids. Also, is the weather bearable, what are the bugs like, is it the outdoor lifestyle that it says it is. Is there a big expat community and what are the best areas to live in - wanting to purchase for about £100,000. To move in July 2007 when should be start applying for out visas?

I cant answer many of your questions but I can suggest you save harder nice areas you do need at least the 100k mark now , however this may change going forward. Look at the bribane council website it gives you loads of info on all the suburbs schools etc. Just out of interest why Brisbane and not say Melbourne ??
Old May 9th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

If your planning on going in 2007 - your as well to start the process now - by that I mean you will need to do lots of research, gather lots of information. Do you have enough points to get in? Have you had your skills assessed? What visa will you be applying under?

Before you can apply for a visa you would have to have your skills assessed - some assessing bodies are taking upto 3 months or more to assess. In addition, it takes you a while to gather all the paperwork that is required by the assessing bodies - some people are taking between a few months to 6 and even longer just to get paperwork together. Once all paperwork is complete you need to have two sets and have them certified 1 to send to the skills assessors and the other to provide to DIMIA with your main application (once you have received a successful skills assessment).

The other thing to bear in mind is DIMIA rules can change between now and 2007 - so if your skills are on the MODL now they may not be by 2007. Once you have your visas you will have 1 year from the medicals or police reports in which to validate as a family after that you can move anytime within a 5 year period.

As for Brisbane and its burbs = not there yet but can tell you that there is another forum that deals with the Bayside - a good website - you should find the link in "ABCdiamonds" tag line (or whatever its called - sorry ABC!).

Another website that is handy for providing details on brisbane suburbs is www.ourbrisbane.com

all the best

atticus
Old May 9th 2005, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

Id probably start looking into things just now, and getting the process started. By the way what part of Scotland are you from.
Carole
Old May 9th 2005, 12:49 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i reckon you need more than £100,000. the average house price is $350,000 (or £144,000) and the main reason why i still haven't managed to buy a house. you would get a 2 bedroom unit for £100,000 tho.

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
I cant answer many of your questions but I can suggest you save harder nice areas you do need at least the 100k mark now , however this may change going forward. Look at the bribane council website it gives you loads of info on all the suburbs schools etc. Just out of interest why Brisbane and not say Melbourne ??
Old May 9th 2005, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that, I will check out the sites.

I thought of Brisbane as it has the lifestyle we want, outdoor, the best climate in Australia - 300 days sunshine a year apparently.
Old May 9th 2005, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Thought we would have to wait till the baby was born before applying for Visa. From Beith in Ayrshire
Old May 9th 2005, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Did not think we could apply just now as we are expecting another baby in November and thought we would have to wait till then. Husband is applying for a skilled independant visa. We have achieved the pass mark and have been in contact with an employment agency already re opportunities. What we do need to know is who assesses his professional qualifications - Chartered Quantity Surveyor with BSc degree. Is it best to use an agency for the process or could we manage it on our own.

thanks
Old May 9th 2005, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
i reckon you need more than £100,000. the average house price is $350,000 (or £144,000) and the main reason why i still haven't managed to buy a house. you would get a 2 bedroom unit for £100,000 tho.
I'm surprised that the Brisbane average is quite close to the Melbourne average ($360K'ish). Every time I see property in Brisbane on Location, Location and Hot Property, the prices are far below what they would be in Melbourne for the same thing.

It is of course uncertain how many A$'s £100K will buy in 2007 and you don't have to pay cash for a house.

I would agree with the comments about doing the research now with a view to progressing the application in say mid-2006. This site will give you many, many answers to your questions. Do a search or start up a thread like you have done here. If you don't already, check out Real Estate TV (Sky Channel 250) for the aforementioned Location, Location and Hot Property which are on everyday and Brisbane features regularly (mainly Sydney and Melbourne and infrequently Adelaide).

I know the agents will disagree but anyone with internet access, this British Expats site, some time to spare and a little of the 'grey matter' can handle everything themselves for most applications. Some situations and some people may be better off employing an agent but FWIW I'd do it myself and put their fee towards a better house or a car or children's education or whatever.

Brisbane having the 'best' climate is a subjective thing of course. I come from Melbourne (but live not too far away from you now in 'Bonnie Galloway') and I found the humidity of Brisbane a bit too oppressive the times I was there. Admittedly this was always in summer. You'll see plenty of bargain holidays to Queensland advertised in Nov to March in the UK - they fill up some of the empty hotel beds with unsuspecting Brits - the southerners go in the middle of the year when it is cooler down south and not as wet and humid up north!

Keep an open mind and have a look at other options, not necessarily Sydney or Melbourne.

Good luck!

OzTennis
Old May 9th 2005, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

300 days of sunshine can get a bit wearing at times, believe me. Never thought I'd be pleased to wake up to grey skies.
Old May 9th 2005, 11:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Atticus
As for Brisbane and its burbs = not there yet but can tell you that there is another forum that deals with the Bayside - a good website - you should find the link in "ABCdiamonds" tag line (or whatever its called - sorry ABC!).
I'll let you off

wanting to purchase for about £100,000
That's about $244,000 at todays rates.

In my area that would currently get you a 3 bed townhouse with change. (these start at $215,000)

or a tiny 2 bed house on a half size block of land for $239,000

or, with a bit more money, a standard size 3 bed house on a standard size block for $265,000.

These are from Real Estate. com.au

Old May 9th 2005, 11:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I'm surprised that the Brisbane average is quite close to the Melbourne average ($360K'ish). Every time I see property in Brisbane on Location, Location and Hot Property, the prices are far below what they would be in Melbourne for the same thing.
OzTennis
You'd have been even more surprised back in 1982
Median House price in 1982 for Melbourne was $50,500, yet Brisbane was $55,100.
10% MORE expensive in Brisbane

Melbourne then proceeded to shoot ahead in prices, until 1988 when Melbourne was 50% higher than Brisbane, with Melbourne being $113,000.00 and Brisbane being $74,900.00.

Then Brisbane played catch up again until 1995, with Melbourne being $144,500 and Brisbane $134,000.

The Melbourne shot ahead again until 2001 when Melbourne hit $316,000 with Brisbane lagging way behind at $200,000.

The Brisbane shot ahead again......

However, I read in the paper that Melbourne has now picked up it's prices again, with Brisbane expected to follow in about 12-18 months time.

Old May 10th 2005, 12:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Brisbane having the 'best' climate is a subjective thing of course. I come from Melbourne (but live not too far away from you now in 'Bonnie Galloway') and I found the humidity of Brisbane a bit too oppressive the times I was there.
And I live in Brisbane & think Melbourne is too wet, cold & miserable for most of the year. Yep, you're right, its subjective, isn't it?
Old May 10th 2005, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Did not think we could apply just now as we are expecting another baby in November and thought we would have to wait till then.
You thought wrong. You can apply now, advise the case officer of the pregnancy and your medicals will be put on hold until the baby arrives.

Jeremy
Old May 10th 2005, 2:41 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

technically not brisbane though.....

that's like saying you live in leeds when if fact you live in barnsley, or you are from manchester and really you live in wigan, or liverpool and really you live in chester, or derby/nottingham, or birmingham/coventry, etc, etc....

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'll let you off

That's about $244,000 at todays rates.

In my area that would currently get you a 3 bed townhouse with change. (these start at $215,000)

or a tiny 2 bed house on a half size block of land for $239,000

or, with a bit more money, a standard size 3 bed house on a standard size block for $265,000.

These are from Real Estate. com.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.