Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Queensland

Moving to Queensland

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:26 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Queensland

Dont know what your budget is, but if you're looking for good public schools, then a few good areas for public schooling around Brisbane are The Gap, Kenmore, Indooropilly, Kelvin Grove..

the are all to the North/West of the city but not too far our (30mins bus)

Property in these leafy areas comes at a bit of a premium, but you might find you're savng $$$$'s by sending kids to public school rather than feeling uncomfortable with that and paying for private if you're elsewhere..

If you want to buy a house in one of these areas then you're going to need $450K, rentals are scarce but available for $400pw (I'm actually reluctantly planning on leaving Brisbane 'cos theres not enough IT work, but we'll keep our house in The Gap and hope to rent it for $500-$550pw).

http://www.realestate.com.au

Feel free to msg me with any questions about Brisbane!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:27 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Dont know what your budget is, but if you're looking for good public schools, then a few good areas for public schooling around Brisbane are The Gap, Kenmore, Indooropilly, Kelvin Grove..

Property in these leafy areas comes at a bit of a premium, but you might find you're savng $$$$'s by sending kids to public school rather than feeling uncomfortable with that and paying for private if you're elsewhere..

If you want to buy a house in one of these areas then you're going to need $450K, rentals are scarce but available for $400pw (I'm actually reluctantly planning on leaving Brisbane 'cos theres not enough IT work, but we'll keep our house in The Gap and hope to rent it for $500-$550pw).

http://www.realestate.com.au

Feel free to msg me with any questions about Brisbane!
Not enough IT work? Which area of IT do you work in? From what I know IT is booming here as much as anywhere else?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:03 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I guess you'll be renting here too then?

As far as I am aware the GC is not cheap and prices are moving forever upwards at the moment.
To start with. But i've been looking at houses around GC and these are doable in terms of what we can pay in a mortgage. 300k gets you a decent 3 bedroom house. Where in Sydney , you'd be lucky to get a 2 bed unit.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to come to Queensland do it properly! Leave the hubub of Brisvegas behind and come to NQ where it is always summer and there are plenty of jobs.

Up to you of course
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I live Kenmore (close to Indro also) and it is certainly not 30 mins by bus into the city, you're looking at an hour minimum in rush hour! Especially now that Can Do Campbell (our "environmentally friendly" mayor ) has closed the T3 lane on Coro Drive to free up the bus lane for more cars.

Western suburbs are great for families but don't even consider it unless you are within walking distance of a train station.