Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from QLD to Melbourne (advice)

Moving from QLD to Melbourne (advice)

Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:26 am
Just Joined

el cappi tan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from QLD to Melbourne (advice)

Hi All

We are moving from the Sunshine Coast down to Melbourne and am looking for some info on areas in Melbourne.
We want to be near the CBD, we have 2 kids and don't want to commute for more than 30 mins each way.
Any suggestions for suburbs to look at?? I've been on realestate.com but it's difficult to now the exact distance to the CBD.
Were currently paying $400 a week rent on the Sunny Coast so anything under that would be a bonus.

Cheers all, hope you all had a good Easter weekend.

ECT
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:38 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from QLD to Melbourne (advice)

Originally Posted by el cappi tan
We are moving from the Sunshine Coast down to Melbourne and am looking for some info on areas in Melbourne.
We want to be near the CBD, we have 2 kids and don't want to commute for more than 30 mins each way.
Any suggestions for suburbs to look at?? I've been on realestate.com but it's difficult to now the exact distance to the CBD.
Were currently paying $400 a week rent on the Sunny Coast so anything under that would be a bonus.
Can't help with the quality of the suburbs but if you want to find out how far from the CDB, have a look at Whereis directions search.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:40 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el cappi tan
Hi All

Cheers all, hope you all had a good Easter weekend.

ECT
We are moving (currently in transit) to Malvern, Melbourne. Rents do seem quite high but the problem seems to also be the lack of return communication from agents. Guess they ignore you till you arrive.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:54 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Try Kensington, 10 minute train ride, 15 minute drive or 30 minute cycle into the city CBD, rents still cheap as Kensington is still off many people's radar for some reason - they know of it but not much more. Its a well kept secret, like a village in the city, great for kids.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joninoxford
Try Kensington, 10 minute train ride, 15 minute drive or 30 minute cycle into the city CBD, rents still cheap as Kensington is still off many people's radar for some reason - they know of it but not much more. Its a well kept secret, like a village in the city, great for kids.
Agreed, it's probably off a lot of people's radar because it is west of the city and also because of South Kensington (high rise Housing Commission flats and some noxious industries, polluted Maribyrnong River). Kensington and North Melbourne have certainly been 'yuppified' and as you say so handy for the city, good public transport and amenities.

I'm sure the domain's, real estate's, real estateview's of this world have a distance from CBD when you look at properties or am I just imagining it?

Have a look at Williamstown too - further out than Kensington but under the 30 minute commute and fine for families.

I posted some pics in this thread on pages 3 and 4:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9&page=3&pp=15

OzTennis
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joninoxford
Many thanks for that I notice your in St Kilda, whats it like there??
I've also heard conflicting things about Footscray, do you know anything about the area??
Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Agreed, it's probably off a lot of people's radar because it is west of the city and also because of South Kensington (high rise Housing Commission flats and some noxious industries, polluted Maribyrnong River). Kensington and North Melbourne have certainly been 'yuppified' and as you say so handy for the city, good public transport and amenities.

I'm sure the domain's, real estate's, real estateview's of this world have a distance from CBD when you look at properties or am I just imagining it?

Have a look at Williamstown too - further out than Kensington but under the 30 minute commute and fine for families.

I posted some pics in this thread on pages 3 and 4:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9&page=3&pp=15

OzTennis
Cheers will take a look at photo's when am not so busy. We were also thinking of looking at the Fitzroy area.