Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving Pets Abroad & Accomodation

Moving Pets Abroad & Accomodation

Old May 17th 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

FCameron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Pets Abroad & Accomodation

We are likely moving to Perth around March time next year and intend on taking our two cats with us if we can. Can anyone advise me on prices if they have done this before?
I know that prices are subject to change, especially within that timescale.
Also, I have noticed that not a lot of rental accomodation allows for pets, but I understand this can be down to the rental company's preference....has anyone else came up against this obstacle?
Old May 17th 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Pets Abroad & Accomodation

A lot of people I know use Pet Air to bring their animals over. Par Air is another one to get a quote from. A small to medium dog may be around 3500 pounds but not sure on cats. Will be pricey though xx
Old May 17th 2013, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
A lot of people I know use Pet Air to bring their animals over. Par Air is another one to get a quote from. A small to medium dog may be around 3500 pounds but not sure on cats. Will be pricey though xx
Thanks for this! We expect it to be expensive, but I dont feel comfortable knowing we got these cats before we knew about the move and throwing them aside....so hoping that this is going to be a great solution for us!
Fingers crossed!
Its a hard decision to make, especially because my OH works in the Merchant Navy, and I dont know how i want to split my time between home and Oz....but I need to think whats best for the pets!
Old May 17th 2013, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to start their rabies regime started at least 7 months before you travel. The website provides all the details: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs Note that there is talk of reducing the mandatory quarantine period in Australia down from 30 days to 10 days but there is no official start date on this yet I understand.

So if your cats haven't yet been neutered, microchipped, rabies vaccinated and had a rabies titre test done recently you will need to start soon and these things all add to the cost. I just had my cats rabies titre tests done here in the USA and that has cost over $600 plus the cost of their rabies booster vaccinations. Then there are the final vet checks and internal/external parasites treatments (mandatory) and Health Certificates and the mandatory quarantine period of at least 30 days (currently that will cost just shy of $2,000 for two cats for 30 days).

The rabies titre test in the UK was much cheaper when I was bringing my cats from UK to USA 2 years ago.

I used Airpets (based at Heathrow) to fly the cats from UK to USA but they do manage pets going anywhere in the world. I was very pleased with their service. No point me quoting you what we paid as different journey and now over 2 years ago. But suffice to say that all-in-all it is not cheap and the process is somewhat lengthy but when they are members of your family what can you do?! Having said that if I had elderly pets I would maybe think of having to do something else.

Re: accommodation, in UK and USA many rentals said no pets but when I spoke to the agents or landlords there was usually room for negotiation, I provided letters of reference to include the cats when leaving a rental property to applying for a new one and that has worked for me. I noticed when checking rentals in the Melbourne area that very few specifically said No Pets (i.e. not up for negotiation) a few said Pets allowed and the rest didn't say.

Last edited by Phoodilicious; May 17th 2013 at 3:02 pm. Reason: added text
Old May 17th 2013, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

bonnybennett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Please be aware that Byford (Perth) quarantine station is closed until 31st May and it is possible that it may not re-open even after that date. Although it is possible to fly them to Sydney for the quarantine and then do an internal flight to Perth after this.

Veterinary Requirements (Cats):

o All pets need a rabies vaccination within 12 months of the flight date and at least 60 days before the flight, (ideally 6-12 months before travel for min. 30 days quarantine).
o They then need a rabies blood sample at least 5 months before and not more than 12 months prior to their flight date. It can be less than 5 months before their flight date, but they will have to spend longer in Australian quarantine if that is the case.
o Cats need flu and enteritis vaccinations at least 14 days and not more than 12 months before they leave UK.

Prices can vary depending on what level of service a company offers.
Old May 17th 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Also...

Cats need to have an import permit from Australia and then within 4 days before the flight, they need tick and worm treatment/health check/completion of DEFRA paperwork. Once the import permit has been applied for then quarantine can be booked. At busy times of year the quarantine booking may need to be made up to 4 months before the flight date.
Old May 17th 2013, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bonnybennett
Also...

Cats need to have an import permit from Australia and then within 4 days before the flight, they need tick and worm treatment/health check/completion of DEFRA paperwork. Once the import permit has been applied for then quarantine can be booked. At busy times of year the quarantine booking may need to be made up to 4 months before the flight date.
Thats a bit to take in!
Thanks for all the info! Definitely need to start looking into these things if we are intending on leaving within a year from now!
Old May 18th 2013, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FCameron
We are likely moving to Perth around March time next year and intend on taking our two cats with us if we can. Can anyone advise me on prices if they have done this before?
Also, I have noticed that not a lot of rental accomodation allows for pets, but I understand this can be down to the rental company's preference....has anyone else came up against this obstacle?
We spent about GBP3-3.5k moving two cats in 2010.

I was also expecting trouble finding a rental with cats but in the end it was not even remotely difficult.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by FCameron
We've taken our two cats with us as well, they actually came out of quarantine today and enjoy racing around the house !

We haven't had a problem at all finding a house to rent, and friends of ours with their two cats haven't either. I think with dogs it is a bit more difficult though.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:40 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

A thumbs up for Pet Air UK from us. We're about to move two olde English sheepdogs to the outback, no easy task believe me but Pet Air have been fantastic. They liaise with your vet so everything is done correctly and on time. Can't recommend them enough. It's pricey for sure, but well worth it. Good luck
Old May 18th 2013, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Sorry if it was a bit of bombardment with information - here to help though if you need any more advice. A year ahead is the perfect time to start ensuring everything is done on time.
Old May 18th 2013, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

With the rental market so tight in Perth, landlords will give priority to no pets (& no kids) in that order. Yes, they can get away with it...

If you need to fly your animals from Eastern States Quarantine if Byford WA remains closed (which is appearing more and more likely) we have used Jetpets for interstate Aus transportation of our large dogs. They were excellent.

Also bear in mind that keeping cats is becoming more and more covered by local council legislation. Many councils now have cat number limits, micro chipping requirements, licensing fees just like for dogs plus boundary controls i.e. cats must be penned or fenced within your property boundaries and even some locations (such as next to National Parks) no cats allowed.
Old May 18th 2013, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackieh23
With the rental market so tight in Perth, landlords will give priority to no pets (& no kids) in that order. Yes, they can get away with it...

If you need to fly your animals from Eastern States Quarantine if Byford WA remains closed (which is appearing more and more likely) we have used Jetpets for interstate Aus transportation of our large dogs. They were excellent.

Also bear in mind that keeping cats is becoming more and more covered by local council legislation. Many councils now have cat number limits, micro chipping requirements, licensing fees just like for dogs plus boundary controls i.e. cats must be penned or fenced within your property boundaries and even some locations (such as next to National Parks) no cats allowed.
Rental markets are tight everywhere in Australia. They are in Sydney too and I was quite scared by posts similar to this, it was in fact the thing I worried about the most before moving, the not being able to find somewhere to live. The reality I found was very different though thankfully.
Old May 19th 2013, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Rental markets are tight everywhere in Australia. They are in Sydney too and I was quite scared by posts similar to this, it was in fact the thing I worried about the most before moving, the not being able to find somewhere to live. The reality I found was very different though thankfully.Lucky you. My (recent i.e. Feb 13) experience in Perth was exactly as I have stated.
As the OP is moving to Perth, Sydney being better for you is of little comfort. I do not post to scare, I post to ensure OP is aware.
Old May 19th 2013, 3:43 pm
Lets get outta here!!

nakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to allnakered is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: Moving Pets Abroad & Accomodation

Yikes!
Having read about Byford not re-opening, this is making the stressful business of emigrating, a tad more worrying!
What's the problem with Byford? does anyone know the reasons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.