Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth- where to live?

Moving to Perth- where to live?

Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Emmaandsteven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth- where to live?

I haven't failed to grasp that fact, just stating that my experience covers the same years as expected in WA.

I'm sure I'll be fine for work, if not in teaching, then elsewhere. I'm fairly well qualified and have enough experience teaching. The main issue is about teaching in another country which is a challenge I'm looking forward to...
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmaandsteven
I haven't failed to grasp that fact, just stating that my experience covers the same years as expected in WA.

I'm sure I'll be fine for work, if not in teaching, then elsewhere. I'm fairly well qualified and have enough experience teaching. The main issue is about teaching in another country which is a challenge I'm looking forward to...
You are a male too which always helps in primary teaching.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Emma and Steven. Now that I have a better idea of your circumstances, I'd go with verystormy's suggestion of a short term rental initially. As I mentioned before, there are numerous primary schools throughout the Perth metro area, which is around 5,400 square kilometres and has a population of around one and three quarter million people (around 75% of the entire state of WA's population).

The reason I suggest a short term rental is that I'm guessing you'll be looking for work straight away, and you could end up anywhere within the metro area or even further afield. The last thing you'd need is to be stuck with an 'ordinary' lease period - agents prefer a 12 month lease although some will do 6 months. If you break your lease (leave before the period is up) then you are required to continue paying the rent until the property is leased again, and are also hit with advertising fees.

If you decide to take a 6 - 12 month lease, suburbs that would be good for walking distance to bars, cafes etc are (some parts of) Mount Lawley, (some parts of) Inglewood, Northbridge (it's not really the lawless hell hole some portray it to be - well, not until after midnight anyway ), Highgate, (some parts of) Maylands, Victoria Park (as near to Albany Hwy as you can get) or Fremantle. They're all pretty pricey real estate areas but you'd get an ok 1 or 2 bedroom flat for $420 a week if you're not looking for posh or fancy. In general, Maylands would be best value, you'd want something close to the 8th Avenue café strip and the train station. None of these except Fremantle are really close to a beach, although I don't know how long a drive they are.

Umpteen other suburbs with a 15 minutes or less drive to the beach, but I can't think of any that have the same 'café strip' facilities and the vast majority of them are a bit soulless with no facilities within a comfortable walking distance.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:05 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmaandsteven
Do you know many teachers who have struggled to find jobs? There seemed to be quite a few when I searched recently, but I agree, I should start looking before I move there.
Yes, Like others have said, primary is way over subscribed. My niece is well qualified, great CV, experienced in difficult areas and finally found semi permanent role after 12 months. Her peers are finding the same.
I admire your confined in finding work but it aint that says here and getting tougher. I hope Im wrong but make sure you have funds to cover yourself initially.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

There's also the possibility of tutoring work, either through a tutoring company or setting up on your own.