Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth v Staying in Canberra.

Moving to Perth v Staying in Canberra.

Old Feb 10th 2016, 11:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth v Staying in Canberra.

Originally Posted by verystormy
I live in Perth.

The first thing is research jobs. The economy in WA is seriously struggling at the moment.

As for lifestyle, I would say it is a bit sterile. It feels pretty plastic. It is on first impression a nice looking city. Then you realise that it is pretty sterile.

Climate is not necessarily better than anywhere else. It is baking hot here at the moment and I have grown after 8 years to detest summer.
In the lsst 9 years I have grown to detest Perth weather period. These days of 40 degrees are horrible but then so is the cold winter when it's warmer outside than in our house. I think somewhere that believes in insulation might be my next move. At least the electric bill won't be $330 because I have to keep the aircon going 24 hours a day.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 11:06 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm "living" in Canberra Monday - Friday at the moment and I think it is a lovely city. Everywhere you turn there are fine buildings and beautiful views of the lake and surrounding hills. It has a small city feel in a good way. I find the people really friendly and with a few interesting exceptions on the pavements of the city centre the people seem to be mainly decent.

Colleagues I am working with who live here say they are very happy here, many of them have lived in other cities. Canberra being great for children comes up a lot.

I reckon I could live in Canberra if pushed.

BB
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

PeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I'm "living" in Canberra Monday - Friday at the moment and I think it is a lovely city. Everywhere you turn there are fine buildings and beautiful views of the lake and surrounding hills. It has a small city feel in a good way. I find the people really friendly and with a few interesting exceptions on the pavements of the city centre the people seem to be mainly decent. Colleagues I am working with who live here say they are very happy here, many of them have lived in other cities. Canberra being great for children comes up a lot. I reckon I could live in Canberra if pushed. BB
I agree with the majority of what you say re the views and the majority of the people, we don't have kids though and like you say you could live in Canberra if pushed, if you had flexibility, as we do, would you?
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I would live in Canberra before I lived in Perth, I have been to both places but not lived permanently in either.

Perth when I was there 6 months ago seemed to have massive issues with crime and unemployment (probably linked). I stayed with 4 groups of people, 2 of whom had teenage kids stuck at home with nothing to do, they had finished school and were not doing further education yet and could not find any work at all. And I know that was not for lack of trying. People we stayed with had stories of cars broken into, fighting teenagers in the street, etc etc. We stayed in Maylands, Secret Harbour, Golden Bay and Guildford (actually Guildford was the exception for crime - didn't hear any stories). The beaches in Perth are stunning. But nice beaches (for me) do not a life make. So, given the choice, I would prefer to live in Canberra.

Given the choice between either and Melbourne, I would prefer to live in Melbourne (where I do live). But you didn't ask that question!

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Feb 11th 2016 at 1:53 am.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I would live in Canberra before I lived in Perth, I have been to both places but not lived permanently in either.

Perth when I was there 6 months ago seemed to have massive issues with crime and unemployment (probably linked). I stayed with 4 groups of people, 2 of whom had teenage kids stuck at home with nothing to do, they had finished school and were not doing further education yet and could not find any work at all. And I know that was not for lack of trying. People we stayed with had stories of cars broken into, fighting teenagers in the street, etc etc. We stayed in Mayfield, Secret Harbour, Golden Bay and Guildford (actually Guildford was the exception for crime - didn't hear any stories). The beaches in Perth are stunning. But nice beaches (for me) do not a life make. So, given the choice, I would prefer to live in Canberra.

Given the choice between either and Melbourne, I would prefer to live in Melbourne (where I do live). But you didn't ask that question!

BB
Mayfield is in NSW.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:53 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Moving to Perth v Staying in Canberra.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Mayfield is in NSW.
Edited to correct to Maylands.

BB
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:06 am
Still alive

Edited to correct to Maylands.

BB
Oh well I see why you wouldn't have liked Perth then. Most of the places you stayed would not be on my list of preferred 'burbs.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Personally I would rather slit my wrists than move from Canberra to Perth but each to their own! If that's where the job is then I guess you go. But in this climate I wouldn't be going without a job to go to. Better weather? Really? At least Canberra doesn't have those weeks of consecutive eyeball roasting days (how's this week going folks?) and we have nice different seasons. Sterility level probably about the same. Fewer Poms in ACT. PC more pronounced in ACT. Commutes likely shorter in ACT. Beach closer in WA but if you've done the entire East coast in 2 years it should only take you 6 months to do all of WA. Its the isolation that would do it for me but it's closer to UK so that's a plus for holidays home.

All comes down to the job really. It's still Australia.(Edited to say, I see you were from Cambridgeshire - beats both of them into a cocked hat IMHO LOL.)
I agree with Quoll, we lived in Perth and visited Canberra on quite a few occasions at various times of the year and if I were returning to Aus and W.A or ACT States were my choices the ACT wins
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

PeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to beholdPeachArchers is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brits1
I agree with Quoll, we lived in Perth and visited Canberra on quite a few occasions at various times of the year and if I were returning to Aus and W.A or ACT States were my choices the ACT wins
Sorry for asking Brits but you don't say why?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeachArchers
Sorry for asking Brits but you don't say why?
We enjoyed the lifestyle more in Canberra, your not that far from other States which for us was important as we enjoy visiting different places. We like the weather more in Canberra not as harsh and that after the first 2/3 years in Perth/WA we had "done" everything you could do, the next thing was to travel to the other states which we did but its so expensive to do so. We also like the "culture" of Canberra to Perth, the Government is obviously based there, even the architecture was "different". We enjoyed the fact that you can go sledging etc in the winter (and after Summer its a great thing to have nearly on your doorstep), would we of missed the beaches of Perth? maybe but we only (even though we are all swimmers and love the water sea) visited the beaches in Perth out of the hot months (way too hot for us....even most sane people lol and way to busy) which cancelled out a lot of the time anyway and we knew we could get to beaches anyway from Canberra if we really wanted to but we also decided we could not stay in Perth just for the beaches it just was not enough for us. Good luck with your decision, remember to way up everything (I am sure you will) ie work, cost of homes, accessibility to things you enjoy.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
We enjoyed the lifestyle more in Canberra, your not that far from other States which for us was important as we enjoy visiting different places. We like the weather more in Canberra not as harsh and that after the first 2/3 years in Perth/WA we had "done" everything you could do, the next thing was to travel to the other states which we did but its so expensive to do so. We also like the "culture" of Canberra to Perth, the Government is obviously based there, even the architecture was "different". We enjoyed the fact that you can go sledging etc in the winter (and after Summer its a great thing to have nearly on your doorstep), would we of missed the beaches of Perth? maybe but we only (even though we are all swimmers and love the water sea) visited the beaches in Perth out of the hot months (way too hot for us....even most sane people lol and way to busy) which cancelled out a lot of the time anyway and we knew we could get to beaches anyway from Canberra if we really wanted to but we also decided we could not stay in Perth just for the beaches it just was not enough for us. Good luck with your decision, remember to way up everything (I am sure you will) ie work, cost of homes, accessibility to things you enjoy.
Very helpful, thankyou for taking the time to do that.👍👍👍