Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to perth, need advise on shipping and jobs!

Moving to perth, need advise on shipping and jobs!

Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

carla81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to perth, need advise on shipping and jobs!

Hello im moving to perth in July and need to start looking at shipping anyone got any good advise! Also im a qualified nursery nurse wanting work, anyone know where the best place to start looking is!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to perth, need advise on shipping and jobs!

Hiya,

Having just had 6 quotes for a shared container and looking over this site for reviews re shipping I would say get some quotes do a search on here and then go with either whoever gives you get the best quote or indeed best impression. It seems most shippers have their share of good and bad reviews alas you won't know if who you went with was a good choice until your belongings turn up in Oz.

There's lot's of companies John Mason, PSS, Anglo Pacific, Crown, Doree Bonner, Pickfords to name but a few.

Cheers

Last edited by Kryptonix; Apr 1st 2009 at 10:23 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

kim69 will become famous soon enough

friends of ours just moved over used john mason and were impressed with service.
when we moved over we sold everthing in uk and just came across with suitcase each we found it very cheap for furniture white goods ect.
weve had two lots of friends move here since who have said they wish they had done the same becouse you will probably arrive bfore your container of goodys does so end up having to buy lots of things anyway unless your in furnished accomadation..
good luck with move
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

dommod is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in the removal business for a few years along time ago and nearly all the people working in the industry were helping them selves to people’s belongings, I couldn't believe it.
So were moving from Bristol to Sydney later on this month and we have estimated £85000 worth of possessions.
I contacted a shipping handler here and in Sydney and have arranged a sole use 20 foot container for the same price as a shared 1/3 of a 20 foot container, it means I security seal the container here in the UK and open it in Sydney, unless customs want to check the contents but they provide paper work for breaking the seal etc.
Yes we have had to pack everything our self but we know what’s gone in the boxes and we are responsible for any damages - but we have compensated for this with extra packing materials, it is harder work but it saves me paying upwards of £5k + insurance (3% of valued goods) it isn’t as easy as getting some one in and letting them do it but we feel safer this way knowing nothing will go missing and saving loads of money:

Costs
£200 - boxes and van rental
£1600 - Bristol to Sydney
£1400 - insurance (total loss)
$1100 - Sydney customs etc
$500 - Van rental

Contact details if you’re interested

UK shipping company - Denholm Forwarding Ltd +44 (0)117 980 2820
Packing materials - www.boxsupplies.co.uk
Oz freight forwarders - [email protected]
Insurance company - www.theovalgroup.com

hope this helps, or throws a spanner in the works...
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

Hi Carla81,

If you go onto www.community.wa.gov.au it has a section on getting your qualifications swapped over to W.A. recognition, just print off the form, fill it in, provide any evidence and send it over with a international money order for $50 and they will send you back a letter with your qualification level on it so you can get a job.

When you get here you will need a working with children check (can only be applied for once you have a job), also you may need a first aid qualification which I believe you can sort yourself through St John's Ambulance.

Look on seek.com.au or jobs.wa.gov.au for jobs to give you an idea.

Hope this helps

Jillian
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Plentiful work in your area where I am, $25 bux an hour casual, they cant get reliable people.

Shipping,

A 20ft container is approximately £1000, fill it yourself and arrange an agent to do the customs clearance for you UK and on the Perth end.

Container port discharge fee approx $500, customs clearance fees, quarantine inspections fees forget what they all are now.

Removal guy to pick up your gear and drop at your destination.
Tip make a inventory, declare any wood etc, and make sure everything is free of soils, dust, and seeds....

Or you can get an international shipping agent to quote you, and be rid of the hassle.

Originally Posted by carla81
Hello im moving to perth in July and need to start looking at shipping anyone got any good advise! Also im a qualified nursery nurse wanting work, anyone know where the best place to start looking is!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kim69
friends of ours just moved over used john mason and were impressed with service.
when we moved over we sold everthing in uk and just came across with suitcase each we found it very cheap for furniture white goods ect.
weve had two lots of friends move here since who have said they wish they had done the same becouse you will probably arrive bfore your container of goodys does so end up having to buy lots of things anyway unless your in furnished accomadation..
good luck with move
Have to question that white goods, furniture is (very) cheap. White goods are about the same and furniture is and has always been more expensive. Still the same as it was so not sure where you are making your comparisons but my experience, and indeed others, is that it is more expensive.

And I would NEVER recommend you sell everything. I'm glad we bought everything and the vast majority on this site agree that it's better to bring everything.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dommod
I worked in the removal business for a few years along time ago and nearly all the people working in the industry were helping them selves to people’s belongings, I couldn't believe it.
So were moving from Bristol to Sydney later on this month and we have estimated £85000 worth of possessions.
I contacted a shipping handler here and in Sydney and have arranged a sole use 20 foot container for the same price as a shared 1/3 of a 20 foot container, it means I security seal the container here in the UK and open it in Sydney, unless customs want to check the contents but they provide paper work for breaking the seal etc.
Yes we have had to pack everything our self but we know what’s gone in the boxes and we are responsible for any damages - but we have compensated for this with extra packing materials, it is harder work but it saves me paying upwards of £5k + insurance (3% of valued goods) it isn’t as easy as getting some one in and letting them do it but we feel safer this way knowing nothing will go missing and saving loads of money:

Costs
£200 - boxes and van rental
£1600 - Bristol to Sydney
£1400 - insurance (total loss)
$1100 - Sydney customs etc
$500 - Van rental

Contact details if you’re interested

UK shipping company - Denholm Forwarding Ltd +44 (0)117 980 2820
Packing materials - www.boxsupplies.co.uk
Oz freight forwarders - [email protected]
Insurance company - www.theovalgroup.com

hope this helps, or throws a spanner in the works...

We did this...............saved a small fortune!!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:18 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carla81
We used John Masons and were very happy with the service. I think it cost about £3,500.

We didn't bring furniture that badly needed replacing anyway - i.e. our girls beds and dining table and chairs. We bought them out here once we got our unfurnished rental.

When we got all our stuff here it was great - really made us feel more settled, something we just didn't realise would make such a big difference but it really did.

Good luck