Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth - Which Accounting Qualifications is best?

Moving to Perth - Which Accounting Qualifications is best?

Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Laurab1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Perth - Which Accounting Qualifications is best?

Just wondering if anyone could help me! I am currently on maternity leave and I am AAT qualified. I go back to work in March and I have the option to start either ACCA or ACA. What would be my best option and what is most recognised in Oz, We are planning to move in 2 years so I will not have time to finish either of the qualifications, the other option is to wait until im in Oz and start one of their qualifications from the start?? Im guessing that the only problem with doing that is if we ever want to come back to the UK an Australian qualification will not be recognised here!!?

Any advise will be a great help!!

Many Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth - Which Accounting Qualifications is best?

ACA is recognised in Australia, in the sense that you can get an Australian qualification based on reciprocity. ACCA is not.

But you can't really transfer a part-completed ACA course to Australia. You have to either qualify fully in the UK, or qualify in Australia.

If you think you may be moving before you can become fully qualified ACA, then the best step would be to get a degree in accounting. The Australian CA process is to get an accredited degree in accounting and then do the CA Program.

What's the plan for visas, etc?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would be inclined to agree with JAJ that there is not much point doing half a qualification before you move. If you decide to finish it then it is a no brainer that ACA is a better option if you have the option. This is regardless of whether you are in Australia or in UK, ACA is deemed equivalent to the ACCA by UK accounting regulators, however ACA is more prestigious and in your early years this will make a big difference.

Plenty of Australian accountants working in the UK with no problems whatsoever should you decide to qualify over there.

I assume you are planning to emmigrate on OH's credentials then?

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 9th 2010 at 12:14 am.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies guys, they are very helpful

I have been in touch with a company that can sort out the visas and I have enough points to go based on my current qualifications, I have AAT which is an NVQ Level 4 and I have 4 years experience working in accounts. Also I am only 24 so have the maximum points based on my age, so my OH will be coming over on my visa. He has the maximum points for his job as a gas fitter but he is 36 which means he only has a total of 115 points.

I think my best option is to try and qualify ACA in this country then before we leave. Does anybody know if there is work in Oz for part qualified accountants? As this is what I am at the moment. Also if I waited to start the CA in Oz, would I have to have a degree in order to do this or could I start it as I am? In the UK I get exemptions from ACCA and ACA because I have already completed the AAT. Im not sure if this would be the same in Oz?

Thanks again
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

George8181 is an unknown quantity at this point

my boyfriend is an accountant and we are hoping to move to australia in the next year. He went though all the research to find out which uk qualification would be best to go though. He is studying CIMA which would be best for qualification in australia as at the moment there is direct recognition between CIMA and CPA so if you qualify through CIMA you automatically get a qualification as a CPA. ACCA is not recognised so you wouldn't get any exemption and therefore you would probably have to retrain when getting to oz. You should look into the CIMA qualification because then any exams you pass in UK won't go to waste when you get to Australia!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George8181
my boyfriend is an accountant and we are hoping to move to australia in the next year. He went though all the research to find out which uk qualification would be best to go though. He is studying CIMA which would be best for qualification in australia as at the moment there is direct recognition between CIMA and CPA so if you qualify through CIMA you automatically get a qualification as a CPA. ACCA is not recognised so you wouldn't get any exemption and therefore you would probably have to retrain when getting to oz. You should look into the CIMA qualification because then any exams you pass in UK won't go to waste when you get to Australia!
I believe ACA has mutual recognition with ICAA doesn't it? Which would be better than CPA given the choice.

I would not go so far as to say ACCA is not recognised, I am ACCA and have had no problems with recognition whatsoever and I know I am not the exception.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

sasa110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Laurab1987
We are planning to move in 2 years so I will not have time to finish either of the qualifications, the other option is to wait until im in Oz and start one of their qualifications from the start?? Im guessing that the only problem with doing that is if we ever want to come back to the UK an Australian qualification will not be recognised here!!?
since you've mentioned that you leave in 2 years (and that may not be enough to finish either the ACA or the CIMA), another option for you is to start CPA australia now (yes, you can enroll from overseas and take exams in the UK) and finish it before/soon-after reaching australia. You could then eventually take the CIMA via the CPA MRA to gain a UK qualification (if that mutual agreement is still around).

Some issues you need to look at if you consider this plan:
1) the eligibility criteria for the foundation level of the CPAA
2) whether you can get prior work ex counted towards CPAA's 3 year practical requirement.
3) job prospects as a CPAA enrolled student whilst in the UK for 2 years.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sasa110
since you've mentioned that you leave in 2 years (and that may not be enough to finish either the ACA or the CIMA), another option for you is to start CPA australia now (yes, you can enroll from overseas and take exams in the UK) and finish it before/soon-after reaching australia. You could then eventually take the CIMA via the CPA MRA to gain a UK qualification (if that mutual agreement is still around).

Some issues you need to look at if you consider this plan:
1) the eligibility criteria for the foundation level of the CPAA
2) whether you can get prior work ex counted towards CPAA's 3 year practical requirement.
3) job prospects as a CPAA enrolled student whilst in the UK for 2 years.
I didn't realise that this would be one of the options! I will definately consider this, I have been in touch with the CPA and they have told me I need to have my qualifications assessed, and I have an application form to fill out. We will have to wait and see what they say! Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by George8181
hi there, thanks for your reply. I have been looking on the CA website and I found this informations on the application form. It set out the partialy recognised overseas qualifiactions and they are as follows:

Partially recognised accounting bodies:
> The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
(CIMA, UK)
> The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
> The Malaysian Institute of Certified Practising Accountants (MICPA)
> The Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy
(CIPFA, UK)
> The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
(ACCA, UK)
> The New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (members who are not part of the College of Chartered Accountants).

So it would appear that ACCA and CIMA are both only partially recognised, I think your boyfriend still might have to do a skills assesment exam before he could gain CA status in Oz?! The only options I have in my job are to do ACA or ACCA so I think I should go for ACA as this seems to be recognised, or I will try and start the CA from the UK! Which should be interesting lol