British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-perth-662581/)

nickxpring Apr 4th 2010 4:01 pm

Moving to Perth

I want to move to Perth but what animals and insects am i likely to find in the garden or around the house?!:blink:

verystormy Apr 5th 2010 1:02 am

Re: Moving to Perth

Mmm. Depends a bit on where in Perth you are talking about. If it is the city itself, then probably not much different to the UK. Except for things like huntsmen spiders - they are big but not dangerous. On the other hand if it is more rural, then red back spider and snakes are a possible - Wife came across a young brown snake the other day. It was pretty timid and went off.

eeksy Apr 5th 2010 1:11 am

If you are happy to spray inside and outside then you shouldn't have problems.

dave99 Apr 5th 2010 2:02 am

You wont see many really, ants in the garden, small spiders.

In the summer we sometimes get some beetle cockroach type things, but the only time we we see them is when they are dead and need sweeping up. In 4 years I have only had one live one appear in the kitchen. Other than that sometimes we get baby crickets sneaking into the house or adult ones in the garden or the garage making noise, but they are easy to capture or spray to shut them up

Oh and you may get some bigger spiders in the garage, but nothing to bad

Its not something to worry about if your within about an hours travel of the city, I havent lived further out than that, I hear its worse in the country

petensue Apr 5th 2010 2:23 am

Nothing that bad around the house only the noisy crickets that sometimes drive us mad in the house at night(where do they hide when you are trying to find them?)

The main thing I find is not round the house but when out with the dogs there are some walks we can't go on in the summer when there are snakes around.There is the odd snake at the High school but apart from that they are not a bother.Sue.

Icarus Apr 5th 2010 2:32 am

Nothing scarey . Its all quite lovely really .

nickxpring Apr 5th 2010 10:17 am

Thanks for the replies. We were just checking as some posts on various forums have said that Perth is swamped by such animals. Could you recommend some nice suburbs for us to view property, etc? :unsure:

Icarus Apr 5th 2010 11:27 am

Well , do you know where you will be working ? Do you need to use the train or will you drive ?

These factors certainly need to be considered .

nickxpring Apr 5th 2010 12:03 pm

Well I don't know yet but i'll definitely be driving. We've been looking at Tapping, it looks quite nice there.

mohogony Apr 5th 2010 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by nickxpring (Post 8471725)
I want to move to Perth but what animals and insects am i likely to find in the garden or around the house?!:blink:

Just the usual deadly snakes and spiders, nothing to worry about.:p

The_Wookie Apr 6th 2010 3:38 am

The closer you are to the city, the less bigger beasties.

We live in Yokine, which is around 10 minutes drive from the centre of Perth and we get ants, cockroaches and the occasional small redback in the garden. That's about it. If you move further out you're more likely to get things like huntsman spiders (big ugly brutes) and snakes.