Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth on a 457 ;)

Moving to Perth on a 457 ;)

Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Arrow Moving to Perth on a 457 ;)

Hi,

I have been offered a 457 sponsorship with a large WA based company. My salary will be in the region of $130-150k with full relocation package.

My main question is what is the most popular area/suburb for expats ?

Also, I have 2 children, one is primary age and the other is high school age....what are the approx costs as these will not be paid as part of the package ?

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth on a 457 ;)

Cant help with children as havent got any, but sure someone will.

There are a range of areas that are very popular with ex pats. Mindarie is particularly popular as Halls Head in Mandurah is popular, but it depends on where you will be working to some extent.

Personally i am not keen on living in ex pat areas - far better to get to know the locals and learn about the place. What job will you be doing?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Dont deliberately seek out expat areas. Qualify your location search on important issues such as commuting distance, schools, cost etc. Good luck and enjoy
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:17 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

IS your partner working?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

If you're going to get a good chunk of LAFHA to cover rent don't bother with the northern or southern suburbs, move somewhere close to the city like Subiaco, Mount Lawley, Leederville, South Perth, there's lots of families around and they also have a good atmosphere about them. The further out of town you go you travel more into suburbia where everything looks the same.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colonel
Hi,

I have been offered a 457 sponsorship with a large WA based company. My salary will be in the region of $130-150k with full relocation package.

My main question is what is the most popular area/suburb for expats ?

Also, I have 2 children, one is primary age and the other is high school age....what are the approx costs as these will not be paid as part of the package ?

Thanks
Sounds like the independent British enclave of Joondalup is what you are looking for.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

Hi, I will be working in the South so Central/South area would be ideal I suppose. No rent subsidy included as part of the package however, I suppose we would be looking at $2000 per month. What would this get in the Southern Suburbs ?

Areas would be Fremantle, Rockingham, Mandurah (although probably too South !). Any more to suggest ? My place of work would be Henderson area.

Last edited by colonel; Oct 22nd 2010 at 5:07 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Hi, I will be working in the South so Central/South area would be ideal I suppose. No rent subsidy included as part of the package however, I suppose we would be looking at $2000 per month. What would this get in the Southern Suburbs ?

Areas would be Fremantle, Rockingham, Mandurah (although probably too South !). Any more to suggest ? My place of work would be Henderson area.
Ask your employer about LAFHA (living away from home allowance) it's available to all on 457s as long as they qualify for certain criteria, and their employers know how to use it. It will save you 1000's in tax.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks....good advice.

What kind of tax would I pay on say $130k without LAFHA ?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In that area I personally would rent in Fremantle.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Is this a fair and reasonable assessment of Living Costs or have I missed something !

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Personaly i would go for Mandurah. Avoid the centre of Dullsville. Mandurah is a great little place that has pretty much everything you might want and affordable to live next to a beach - and there are great beaches and only 50 mins by train to Perth central.

Freo is ok, but i actually find it a bit ugly. Never understood the attraction. Its like living in any major docks town. Imagine living in Middlesbrough.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Is this a fair and reasonable assessment of Living Costs or have I missed something !

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3796/livingp.png

Thanks
130000 a year will leave you with $7400 after tax, assuming the 130K does not also include 9% Super, in which case your left with $6900. 25% tax is wishful thinking unfortunately.
Rent should be OK, apart from Fremantle and city centre where that might just get you a 2 bed flat if very lucky. $1000 a month for shopping for 4 people may also likely be unrealistic.
$130000 for a family of 4 living in Perth may sound OK from your perspective with current exchange rate, about 80k UK, but unfortunately it's not that easy. $130K for family of 4 in Perth will not go anywhere like as far as current UK equivelant.
Just my opinion, having been on a 457, but their sometimes not a good idea for families. Moving your children into a different school system, when you can be made to leave country at short notice etc.....
457 needs very careful consideration.

Last edited by upyerfud; Oct 22nd 2010 at 1:13 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by upyerfud
130000 a year will leave you with $7400 after tax, assuming the 130K does not also include 9% Super, in which case your left with $6900. 25% tax is wishful thinking unfortunately.
Rent should be OK, apart from Fremantle and city centre where that might just get you a 2 bed flat if very lucky. $1000 a month for shopping for 4 people may also likely be unrealistic.
$130000 for a family of 4 living in Perth may sound OK from your perspective with current exchange rate, about 80k UK, but unfortunately it's not that easy. $130K for family of 4 in Perth will not go anywhere like as far as current UK equivelant.
Just my opinion, having been on a 457, but their sometimes not a good idea for families. Moving your children into a different school system, when you can be made to leave country at short notice etc.....
457 needs very careful consideration.
Thanks. I presume you mean $74k after tax ? Also, the $130 is basic and the super allowance is paid in addition to this. Also, medical is paid in addition.

I have used AUD costs in the above assessment so am not to fussed about the exchange rate...I put that in just to compare at this time.

I know a lot of people who have jumped ship and found 457 visas the perfect way of establishing a base in Australia.

What downsides do you see other than schooling costs ? I have been guaranteed 3 years work.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

As Upyerfud said, jsut be aware that money doesnt go as far here as it does in the UK. I am currently the sole earner of about $100k, but its just me and the wife - no kids and while we certainly dont struggle, we havent been able to save any money.

The down side of the 457 is the uncertainty factor. I am on my second 457 and will be glad to see the back of it. A lot of friends came out about the same time as me and all bar one lost their jobs and had to leave the country. You may think you have 3 years of gaurnuteed work, but a lot can change in that time. A friend of mine came out as a senior manager with Rio Tinto from the London office to Perth for a fixed 3 year role and was made redundant after 2. He was lucky he found a new sponsor at the 11th hour.

Ask the company to start company sponsored PR as soon as possible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.