Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz - what do I do first?

Moving to Oz - what do I do first?

Old May 24th 2010, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Schmeva will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to Oz - what do I do first?

Hi all,
We are looking to move back to Oz next July (I'm Aussie, husband is British and we have 1 kid) and I am unsure of what order to do things.

Hubbie will be working from his company's Sydney office so that is sorted, but I don't know when we should be putting house on market, or if it is best to sell up here and rent until we fly across?

We want to rent in Sydney for 6 months until we find an area and schools we like, so how soon should I be looking to secure a rental property before we come across?

And finally - when do we buy our flights? Is this something best left until everything is in place or should we be working towards our flight date?

Lots of questions but I would really appreciate hearing from others on their experiences and ideas on the easiest way to go about this....also, we have another baby on the way due November so ideally I want to have as much in place as I can before life gets even more crazy!

Thanks
Old May 24th 2010, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Oz - what do I do first?

Has your husband got his visa sorted, if he hasn't then that would probably be a good place to start.

if you are definitely selling your house then putting it on the market asap would probably be a good idea as the UK housing market is quite slow and even with all the best will in the world it is nearly impossible to complete a sale in less than 2 months.

You're unlikely to find a rental before you get here as agents want you to view the property before making an application to rent so plan on booking somewhere short term for the first couple of weeks.

If you haven't thought about where you're going to live then a surf on here and the realestate sites (domain.com.au & realestate.com.au) plus 131500.info for travel times would probably be useful.

HTH

Last edited by spottydog; May 24th 2010 at 10:07 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 24th 2010, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Schmeva will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Oz - what do I do first?

Thanks for your reply. Australian Embassy has said Visa is easily sorted for spouse and will take around 4 months between Health Check and processing time to issue. Once issued we only have 1 year to enter Australia so I don't want to get going with this too quickly. I'd like to lodge in October this year so we have plenty of time before next July.

I'm hoping our house will sell within 6-8 months as in a high demand area within walking distance of good train station and shops. My problem is if we sell too early, will we need to rent before we leave the UK?

Do you have any suggestions for companies which do short term lets before we can rent? This scares me slightly as will be lots of upheaval for 6 month old baby and a toddler.....