Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:47 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Originally Posted by pab1974
We will be validating the visas early next year. Would like to have a look at some smaller towns as we dont want to live in a big city, really. It all depends on work though! I am quite lucky in where we live now (York) as I work in Leeds which is only a 30 min drive.
Any suggestions would be much apreciated!
Well I come from Chester and moved to Leamington Spa for Uni which are both similar to York in being historic smaller towns with the big cities 25 miles away. We love Perth. We both commute into or near the city and use the city regularly for major events. But weekends and evenings are generally spent in the quieter suburbs. Proximity to the sea and outdoorsy stuff is important to us.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:20 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Are you looking to start an argument?
Now that would take 2 and I just don't have the will or the energy, so I'll pass thank you.

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
The lads a mite uptight and needs to chill out
It takes 2 to tango Bernie boy.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Just an observation, Quite a number of people talk about lifestyle, location , weather , income, and so forth, but the simple fact of moving country often has an enormous impact on peoples perceptions and outlook.

It is clearly true that certain people will never be happy no matter where they are, but one thing is for sure, moving country is not easy, it is quite hard and should not be taken lightly, especially if you have an extended family support network and kids in the country you are moving from.

All things considered, we have pinged-ponged once, and that was for positive reasons, and we will ping again for (please listen) for positive reasons.

How we define these reasons is important, realistic and achievable (not pie in the sky stuff)

There are clearly things that are unsatisfactory here in Oz, but we mitigate them as soon as we can, adn likewise there were clearly unsatisfactory events (m25 for instance) in the UK before we came, we loved living in the UK and we loved living in Oz, I see no reason that we won't love the next place we settle, be it SE UK (Kent, sussex, surrey, ) or indeed European Mainland.

The point is to keep positive, no matter what you do, that's the difficult bit.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:17 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Now that would take 2 and I just don't have the will or the energy, so I'll pass thank you.

It takes 2 to tango Bernie boy.
I think i have lost my tango partner
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Try salsa instead!! Some latino love...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:04 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!!

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
People leave their comforts because they want to try something new, something different, or they feel they need to get away from something, but it's impossible to know how you will feel until you do it isn't it?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:05 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reedy
Try salsa instead!! Some latino love...
Oh jesus no
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:50 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you in the mood to dance Bernie boy?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:56 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NiknAid
I am not saying there is no crime -obviously there is crime everywhere but it just seems that over here they are starting as young as 12 - 14 getting involved in gangs with guns and knives.

Every day you read in the newspaper that someone has been stabbed or shot and the age of the victims is getting younger. As it is such a small country there is nowhere to hide as such. We feel that there are more opportunities for children in Australia, maybe we are wrong but we will find out when we get there.
Agree totally, we moved for a better life for our children 14, 12 8 & 7. My 14 boy is now out fishing at weekends in his tinny with mates or playing sport or out together with us as a family not hanging around a UK shopping Centres?kids parks bored looking for something 'fun' to liven up thier day. The climate over here (especially Brisabne) allows you to plan ahead and be outdoors and being a new home for us the Country has so mant new places to explore...we'll never be bored.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Until you are in a particular position, you can't possibly know what it's going to be like. Even though you have family that you aren't especially close to, homesickness can make you believe that you once were. It's a killer like that.
Have to say that I read The Age (Victoria) online everyday and given that it covers the whole of a state, it is small fry in crime when it comes to our local rag where there are some pretty rubbish things happening quite near. I live in sleepy Cheltenham and when we moved here it was actually quite posh but now there aren't any posh bits left, just people in nicer houses with more security measures. Don't get me started on the nanny state, this bloody government and Political Correctness. Whether we do come over is still a matter of much discussion (and down to someone in Adelaide!) but all I know is that the UK does appear to be going down the tube crime-wise and it may be that Oz does too - but then again, it may not. Who knows? Trying it to see if you like it isn't always a financial option to some and I must admit that I wouldn't come over unless I knew definately that I would be able to afford to come back. Probably not the right spirit to be embarking on such a lifechanging event, but I always was a belt-and-braces kinda of a girl.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

ellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

In the words of Gabriella Cilmi:

"The world's a better place when it's upside down".
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread this as I had the real ping pong parents, migrated to Africa when I was 11, went to New Zealand when I was 15, went to Australia when I was 22. I have a much younger brother as well. They lived all over Australia from the Kimberly, Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth you name it they lived there and it was very hard on my brother. I had long ago got fed up with their ping ponging and lived my own life. Married and I went back to the UK to live. I hated it when I got there as I was used to Aus by then. Stayed there for a couple of years and oh wanted to come to Aus as he does not like the winters in UK so we came back and guess what I hated it just the same as I had hated the UK. Its what your used to and familiar things around you.

Its hard on children ping ponging so please give them a thought as you decide to go back and forth and around the world like my parents did with no regard for me or my brother. Its hard going to new schools and making new friends.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:48 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ellejayh
In the words of Gabriella Cilmi:

"The world's a better place when it's upside down".
She lives in London.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:54 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
She lives in London.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
She lives in London.
Maybe, in a round about way, that's what she's getting at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.