Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:45 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz... think VERY carefully!

Hey dont diss the mods,its NOT a hobby for them,its their life, away from the bingo beer and ciggies
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Hey dont diss the mods,its NOT a hobby for them,its their life, away from the bingo beer and ciggies
surely you can't have a life away from the bingo, beer and ciggies!

I'm shocked you'd even suggest it

lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:53 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
surely you can't have a life away from the bingo, beer and ciggies!

I'm shocked you'd even suggest it

lindsay x
A true mod in the making,thats you
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Vodka works for me Not sure I've been called articulate before so thanks. Been called plenty of other stuff though - not all beer and skittles as a Mod you know
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Vodka works for me Not sure I've been called articulate before so thanks. Been called plenty of other stuff though - not all beer and skittles as a Mod you know
Wouldn't say no to a vodka myself!, hows the beer and skittles MP!!!

Lindsay x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Good luck to those making the trip. Just leave an escape route!!!!
we have been here just over 3 years now and have australian citizenship i can say we have no regrets about leaving the uk
you have to live your own life and go your own way, dont live your life through other people, whats to say they wont up sticks them selves.
easy for me to say, i suppose, as i have never been that close to family and never had to rely on them for anything. But, definitely agree with you that if you're the type of person who gets home sick and will miss family and friends, think hard.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:18 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emelems
Close friends etc.. now.. I do miss them a lot, but i suppose (for me) the need to travel and be in a warmer and more spacious climate was a bigger pull than having them around the corner...
Moving 12,500 miles south enables you to see who your close friends actually are. I've had a few surprises on that front with people I expect to remain close to dropping off the radar whilst others I did not expect to hear from remaining close.

But regarding the original post, I like a quote from Mark Twain... "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover".
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:22 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by harrip
Moving 12,500 miles south enables you to see who your close friends actually are. I've had a few surprises on that front with people I expect to remain close to dropping off the radar whilst others I did not expect to hear from remaining close.

But regarding the original post, I like a quote from Mark Twain... "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover".
Ah Mark twain,as recited on the deck of the titanic
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by some of the reasons that people give for returning to the UK, I'd say you were absolutely correct. Some of the half-arsed bollocks people miss - such as Tecoes - makes me wonder whether they questioned or researched a single thing before booking their tickets to Skippyland. They trudge along in a trance-like state, lurching from one immigration mile-post to the next, fed on a self-serving diet of 'the countrys gone to the dogs' at one end and 'beach and barbies' at the other. I'm never surprised they head back to the UK - I'm just amazed they last more than two weeks before reality sets in.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:18 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hijack, But if it's not a hobby do mods get paid? If so I might apply! Watch out world.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Sorry to hijack, But if it's not a hobby do mods get paid? If so I might apply! Watch out world.
No we don't get paid, we do it for the love of it. No financial incentive at all, sorry.
As already said it keeps us off the bingo and ciggies....but I think the majority of us do have the odd wine etc while we are policing the place
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:48 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 74
Lots of very positive and excited people on here and I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but...

Think very carefully why you want to move out here. Be honest with yourself. I know many people will say "you only live once... give it a try" but getting your 'old uk life' back can be hard.

It is easy to think (as I did), the beaches, the sunshine, the lifestyle, it will be great. You very quickly get used to it!
Think about what actually makes you happy living in the UK (sometimes its easy to forget)? Do you enjoy Saturday nights out with close friends? Regular trips to Europe? Knowing where 'home' is? Being able to pop round and see family anytime you want? Going to family events, birthdays etc? Once family members are gone you never get that time back and 'sunny days' are not an adequate trade.
Of course I thought about missing family/uk but it takes moving for it to actually feel real. If you are close to your family and/or have a good circle of friends think hard!

Every persons life has problems, sometimes you only need to change a few small things to improve it... not everything!

Good luck to those making the trip. Just leave an escape route!!!!
Good advice and I understand totally what you are saying and how you are probably now feeling. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yawn
Perth has that effect on people.

Originally Posted by arkon
Hello stranger, how's life treating you?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:52 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Ah Mark twain,as recited on the deck of the titanic
Must be your optimism that keeps you going
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
I doubt very much theres many people who emigrate without thinking very carefully, especially if theres kiddys to think about.

I'm one of the I'd rather regret what i did do than regret what i didn't brigade. My sunnies are definitely not rose tinted, I hope we all love Oz but if not then hey ho at least we've tried it.

Lindsay x
Wise words from the OP but I agree with you Lindsay; better to have gone and tried than to wake up in 5 years time wondering 'what if' and it being too late to find out!

We have researched this emigration lark for over 3 years and just came back from a reccie to make absolutely sure its what we want to try, especially as we have 3 children to consider.

We came home deciding that we'd give it a go and if it turns out not to be what we hoped then we'll go back to the UK again knowing that we'd given it our very best shot.

K x
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:23 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by harrip
Must be your optimism that keeps you going
Indeed he does in fact only last week he told me i had 20/20 vision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.