Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz soon :) (WHV)

Moving to Oz soon :) (WHV)

Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:04 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oz soon :) (WHV)

OK So I'm movin to Oz soon. Wold like to hear from other people that have emigrated. I'm on 22k in the UK and arent a room for £200 a month.

I was thinking of leaving on the 1st Novemeber but I think I'm only going to have 3 grande at when I move. Is 3 k enough or is worth it to work an extra month?

For a single room in Sydney how much I can I expect to pay?
If I can't get a job in my profession is minimun wage work easy to come by?
Is it even possible to survive on minimum wage or would that be like trying to survive on minimum wage in London?
I'd like to get set-up as soon as possible in OZ can you help me think of "first week" things I need to do?
Like is it possible to setup a bank account from here?
Driving license etc.

Muchos Gracias

Last edited by zRichi; Sep 11th 2010 at 10:11 am.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz soon :) (WHV)

Sorry, but if you're on a working holiday visa you are NOT moving to Australia. You are coming for a one year (with the possibility of a second year) holiday.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zRichi
OK So I'm movin to Oz soon. Wold like to hear from other people that have emigrated. I'm on 22k in the UK and arent a room for £200 a month.

I was thinking of leaving on the 1st Novemeber but I think I'm only going to have 3 grande at when I move. Is 3 k enough or is worth it to work an extra month?

Is it even possible to survive on minimum wage or would that be like trying to survive on minimum wage in London?
I'd like to get set-up as soon as possible in OZ can you help me think of "first week" things I need to do?
Driving license etc.

Muchos Gracias
is that 3k £3000 or $3000? I would bring as much money as you can or it could be a short holiday.

You can set up a bank account online or when you get here. You wont need an Oz drivers licence as you can just use your UK one.

You will need to get a TFN (Tax File Number) to start working but you cannot get that until you are in Australia and it will take a few days.

You can pick up share accommodation but that usually means you have to buy into part of the bond, the rent cost depends on the suburb and the condition of the place (ie. depends on how many people you will be sharing with),

not even sure what the minimum wage is!!! but I am sure there are plenty of new migrants doing that stuff already and they have the benefit of being PR.

A lot of WHV's sell charity subscriptions on the street, wouldn't know how much they get for that but when they corner me I always tell them I am a backpacker myself as they cant sell to other backpackers (well I was 5 years ago and it still works)
Old Sep 11th 2010, 12:42 pm

It'lll be £3000 I'm taking

Maybe a bit more once I have sold everything I own.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you sell everything you own if you are only on a one year visa? It's unlikely that you will be staying permanently, so wouldn't it make sense to have something to go home to?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:22 pm

Hi Dorothy

Oh I don't own very much anyway. And it seems silly to have a car, tv, xbox, PC waiting for me when I get back. They're all stuff I'm quite happy to rebuy in a years time if I return home and if I decide to stay then it's one less problem to worry about
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:24 pm
Still alive

Hi Dorothy

Oh I don't own very much anyway. And it seems silly to have a car, tv, xbox, PC waiting for me when I get back. They're all stuff I'm quite happy to rebuy in a years time if I return home and if I decide to stay then it's one less problem to worry about
If you decide to stay? What do you mean? The WHV is for one year with the possibility of a second year if you do fruit picking for 3 months. It's not a pathway to staying in the country.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you decide to stay? What do you mean? The WHV is for one year with the possibility of a second year if you do fruit picking for 3 months. It's not a pathway to staying in the country.
was for some of us, but unless your good wishful thinking.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

That'll last you about a month once you have paid rent/living expenses etc.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

hollysf is an unknown quantity at this point

What type of work do you hope to do, am thinking of going over next spring and am unsure as to how much money I should have..
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Gegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the rough

I think you need $5000 as part of the criteria on your whv might be worth checking that out.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
was for some of us, but unless your good wishful thinking.
I know someone who is coming on the same visa from Germany. I seem to recall reading something about working on this visa, something about changing your employer after 6 months?May be worthwhile checking it out.
Good Luck with everything.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:19 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

IF you got some sort of qualifications and under the age of 30 the WHV is the best way to get PR. Know so many peopel who used it to gain residency
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:22 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

For a room in a half decent area you'll need about $150 pw

Maybe its much harder then it used to be but tstill psosbile really depends on your profession.

Its possible peopel do it but it will be like London yes.

Bank Account tax file number. Go speak to recruitment agents and apply for jobs.

Yes

Driving license etc.

Muchos Gracias
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:39 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Weebie
IF you got some sort of qualifications and under the age of 30 the WHV is the best way to get PR. Know so many peopel who used it to gain residency
How pray tell does a WHV become residency?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.