Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz on NZ citizenship.

Moving to Oz on NZ citizenship.

Old Jul 16th 2019, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Oz on NZ citizenship.

Good afternoon, haven't been on the forums for a year or so but now the circle has turned once again and I find myself wanting desperately to get out of NZ (for about the 5th time in 14 years). We have thought of moving back to the UK but to be honest I think we would regret it after a couple of years (??). I'm not sure we could cope with the weather among other things and we don't have a lot of family to move back for now. My other half is really keen to go to Oz and give it a try but I have a few misgivings. Firstly we wouldn't be able to get a skilled migrant visa or whatever it's called, so we would have to wing it on our NZ Citizenship. That worries me for a start because Australia seem to have a habit of changing immigration rules at the drop of a hat, and it would worry me that I'd never feel it was permanent (especially if we liked it). Then there is the sheer effort and expense of relocating with pets (3 dogs, a cat....) and trying to find a rental that will allow them. I'm just wondering if other people have relocated just on NZ citizenship and how it went. We'd be looking at outer Brisbane or possibly Cairns. I could continue doing my current job there for about a year, husband would have to find a job painting (houses, not pictures). Or should we try somewhere else in NZ (we have lived in Auckland, (can't afford to go back), Dunedin, rural Otago and now North Canterbury, which is one of the unfriendliest places I've ever lived).

Or perhaps we'd be better to go back to the UK and hopefully 'settle' once and for all.

I know this is a recurring theme with a lot of people who have been here for some years but we are so bored in NZ. I just feel life is passing us by and I'm so frustrated to be sitting here typing this years after the last time I said we were fed up with being here!

Old Jul 16th 2019, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz on NZ citizenship.

Arriving on an SCV is far from "winging it." You get Medicare, etc. You just show your NZ passport on arrival and are automatically granted the SCV.

As for your question about have people tried it before, 15% of all New Zealand Citizens - about 650,000 people - live in Australia. Literally hundreds of thousands of Kiwis move to Australia using the SCV.

Your misgivings about the SCV are unfounded.

It should not be a problem to find a rental that allows pets. Usually a pet bond is applied, something like $200 or $300.

The largest community of Kiwis are in Queensland.

Detailed information:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...s-444#Overview
Old Jul 16th 2019, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Arriving on an SCV is far from "winging it." You get Medicare, etc. You just show your NZ passport on arrival and are automatically granted the SCV.

As for your question about have people tried it before, 15% of all New Zealand Citizens - about 650,000 people - live in Australia. Literally hundreds of thousands of Kiwis move to Australia using the SCV.

Your misgivings about the SCV are unfounded.

It should not be a problem to find a rental that allows pets. Usually a pet bond is applied, something like $200 or $300.

The largest community of Kiwis are in Queensland.

Detailed information:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...s-444#Overview
An SCV will never be a permanent visa though, and offers no path to citizenship. Whilst the government are unlikely to change the rules, it is always possible. And while I admit I am looking at a worst case scenario, the number of people being deported to New Zealand, after falling foul of the character rules now in place, is growing fast.
Many people do live here for years on a SCV, but its best to be aware that there are pitfalls.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Mozi123 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, Yes that is correct with NZ citizenship you can live and work in Australia on the SCV. You should not have problem. It seems like there are lots of jobs Gold Coast/Brisbane area and it is much cheaper for properties here to buy or rent. It is also much cheaper for fuel and food & people are relaxed & friendly. The wages are higher and the weather is much warmer. It would be a great choice. We left the UK 7 years ago, have also tried to go back but found it boring and old fashioned. We now live in Queenstown, New Zealand, extremely expensive but beautiful in many ways despite being cold in Winter. Considering a move to Queensland in the next few years. Agreed, we started our first couple of years in North Canterbury where my husband was helping with the rebuild after the EQ's. We also found it unfriendly & very disappointing in a lot of ways. Good luck with your decision.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mozi123, appreciate your thoughts here.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We are also North Canterbury and considering the move, where about are you we are also looking at Brisbane ?
Old Jul 20th 2019, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Outer suburbs, would like access to some good walking tracks etc for dogs but we don't know Brisbane well so we're just doing some research now. What about you? I found this link on Real Estate Au which lists some suburbs. https://www.realestateview.com.au/bl...vers-brisbane/
Where are you in North Canterbury? We're in Goon
Old Jul 20th 2019, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand to Southeast Queensland is a very well-trod path. Can I suggest that there will be numerous Facebook groups etc for Kiwi Expats in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast, and these communities will probably be very helpful. A recce there from NZ is not a major ask and can also probably open up a lot of contacts who can provide information to facilitate a move.

I thought there was a community newspaper in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area for the NZ Expatriate Community, but can't find anything online so may be mistaken.

Brisbane Courier-Mail: "Kiwi Invasion of Queensland is Only Gaining Pace."

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...65cebda0a7c1cd
Old Jul 20th 2019, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Mandeville
Old Jul 21st 2019, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Well if you fancy a meet up in Goon over a drink with us to discuss the logistics of moving, let me know by PM.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 7:55 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You might not be aware but the employer sponsored visa has special conditions if you are a Kiwi and have worked for your employer for two or more years: it's a more straight forward route.
I haven't regretted our move once.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

HandmadeRN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vetnurse,

I’m a Brit that had the good fortune to be born in NZ and therefore have citizenship. I’m moving to Melbourne for a job in September and I know how you feel about the SCV visa. I’ve found this website to be really useful:Home - Oz Kiwi It talks about what your rights as Kiwis in Australia are, visas and routes to Oz citizenship if you are from NZ.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

We moved Brisbane after 11 years in Auckland i do contract work normally FIFO and it was great the money was good the people where good lifestyle etc. it was all good i then got a contract in the UK and moved back to the UK for what was meant to be while Hinkley point was being built anyway it didn’t go to plan due to unforeseen circumstances. I then managed to get a really good contract in Europe that lasted 2.5 years still based in the UK just doing FIFO work which was great. But I knew from the first week I could not live in the UK full time and it was only the relief of the working in Europe that I put up with it. The UK is toxic with a rip off culture which im happy to expand on if you would like to PM me to avoid the inevitable sh1t fight that will start on here…I have now finished this contract and spent the last three months back in Brissy setting up our move back although we have had issues with our dog coming back I am back in the UK until Beginning of September when we make the final move home. If i was you and had little family ties I would not even entertain going back to the UK to live .Australia has its faults as all countries do but it is a great country to live and work in, We had no issues with staying on our passport about the only thing that we noticed is voting in elections which you will not be able to do and seems a bit unfair when your paying TAX.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thank you for the link HandmadeRN
Old Jul 29th 2019, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD
The UK is toxic with a rip off culture which im happy to expand on if you would like to PM me to avoid the inevitable sh1t fight that will start on here….. If i was you and had little family ties I would not even entertain going back to the UK to live .Australia has its faults as all countries do but it is a great country to live and work in,
Yeah, I know we would struggle with the decision if we moved back to the UK....BUT hey look it's hotter than Aussie there at the moment! I can't help yearning for that feeling of just being 'home' as well, and belonging somewhere, which I know I won't get from Australia. Anyway, worth a try I think, we are bored in NZ and need a change, so even if it's just for a year or so it would be worthwhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.