Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz, need tips

Moving to Oz, need tips

Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:31 pm
maud family

Default Moving to Oz, need tips

Hi,
I'm planning to move to Oz under a working visa. Does anybody know how long it takes to get one when you have been offered a job?
Which documents (diplomas, proff of employment)do you have to produce to the Embassy?
I also have 2 children. Is it difficult to enrol them in a school in Oz?

Thanks for your help.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Moving to Oz, need tips

Originally Posted by maud family
Hi,
I'm planning to move to Oz under a working visa. Does anybody know how long it takes to get one when you have been offered a job?
Which documents (diplomas, proff of employment)do you have to produce to the Embassy?
I also have 2 children. Is it difficult to enrol them in a school in Oz?

Thanks for your help.
If you are talking about a 457 visa, the answer regarding schooling is that they will get into school very easily, just like any Australian child.... BUT....
If you are going to NSW or ACT, you will have to pay very high school fees, even for State Schools. The other States will treat them the same as everyone else, with just the normal costs where applied.

Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:56 am
maud family

Hi,
Thanks very much for your hlep.
Yes I'm talking about 457, so it good to know it will be easy to register the children.

Thanks again.

Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:24 am
ABCDiamond

Hi,
Thanks very much for your hlep.
Yes I'm talking about 457, so it good to know it will be easy to register the children.

Thanks again.
Which State are you going to ?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:59 am
maud family

Hi,

I'm moving to Port Douglas in Queensland.
My problem is the company wants me to start at the end of December, but even with a letter from them I'm not sure I'll get the visa in time.
I am now considering going on my own first and then ask my husband and kids to join me in a month or two. It will give my husband time to get things sorted here (house, cars, removal). What do you think? Or is it better to move all together?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

If I was in your shoes I would seek some professional advice ratherly quickly with so many huge decisions to make.

Maybe contact a migration agent and talk to them, even on a 457 you need police checks and medicals and they dont happen overnight.

Good luck anyway, its worth the hard work but bloody hot in Port Douglas in December/January.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:53 pm
maud family

Thanks,
I've been told to be careful with migration agents as they charge a fee and you don't always get there in the end.

I'm hoping the embassy will get back to me next week with some answers.

Wish me luck!!!!

Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
I've been told to be careful with migration agents as they charge a fee and you don't always get there in the end.

I'm hoping the embassy will get back to me next week with some answers.

Wish me luck!!!!
Do you think untrained embassy staff will know more than a registered migration agent whose only job is to help people get visas?

The company who offered the job probably has an agent working for them to lodge the nomination and sponsorship. Speak to them.

And no. A letter from the company is not going to speed up your application. You still need police checks and at least a chest x-ray.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I'm moving to Port Douglas in Queensland.
My problem is the company wants me to start at the end of December, but even with a letter from them I'm not sure I'll get the visa in time.
I am now considering going on my own first and then ask my husband and kids to join me in a month or two. It will give my husband time to get things sorted here (house, cars, removal). What do you think? Or is it better to move all together?
Yikes! That is very soon and I am not sure your visa will come through as quick as you think.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:13 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Yikes! That is very soon and I am not sure your visa will come through as quick as you think.
Errrm I second that, hubby spoke to those with the know last week and the current processing time for offshore visa's (in general) is up to 12 weeks :$
If you're there by the end of December it'd be a miracle.

If they're prepared to give you a few more weeks just til the visa comes thru then I suggest you do go out there first and set everything up whilel hubby and kids tie up loose ends here, and they meet you out there, tough times but lets hope worth it in the end