British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving to Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-oz-789041/)

charleyrogan Feb 28th 2013 11:11 pm

Moving to Oz

Hiya, I'm new to the forum!

I'm from Liverpool in England and I'm 23, and have accepted a job as an Au Pair in Brisbane

I was wondering what sort of things I will miss or can only buy in England, so I can take them with me, and what kind of things are different in Oz compared to here e.g. culture

I have a 24 hour flight, which is gonna be grim and flying with Singapore Airways. Do they have a good reputation?

Sorry for all the quetions :)

LeeWillo Mar 1st 2013 12:04 am

Re: Moving to Oz

The flight will be fine, I've not flown with SA but my inlaws have and said they were fantastic. Good luck!

Jilliebee Mar 1st 2013 1:59 am

Prawn cocktail crisps and Galaxy chocolate x

charleyrogan Mar 1st 2013 5:41 am

Does it get cold in Brisbane in the winter?

Chortlepuss Mar 1st 2013 6:24 am

Originally Posted by charleyrogan (Post 10576710)
Does it get cold in Brisbane in the winter?

Yes it does. Well actually it doesn't but after you've been here a while you will think it's cold! When you first come over you think 'I could never wear jeans here etc' and then you get to July and the weather may be fantastic (typically bright sunny days 20 degrees) and before you know it, you're popping on a beanie and scarf and a jumper....

Bring over some nice woollen jumpers/cardis (personally I've never needed a coat here, and wear a padded gilet, but I'm an oldie..) You will struggle to get decently priced warm weather gear here , so lots of layers and natural fabrics should be packed!.....

Forgot boots, shoes - good quality $$shedloads here - quite hard to buy online due to sizing

charleyrogan Mar 1st 2013 7:23 am

Yeah i can't imagine wearing warm clothes in 20C, only because when its 20c here its boiling!!

I have loads of flip flops, trainers, heels, don't really have anything else. I have heard that clothes and other things are really expensive, is it better getting stuff from primark before i go? Do they have el cheapo shops there?

GarryP Mar 1st 2013 7:39 am

Originally Posted by charleyrogan (Post 10576274)
Hiya, I'm new to the forum!

I'm from Liverpool in England and I'm 23, and have accepted a job as an Au Pair in Brisbane

I was wondering what sort of things I will miss or can only buy in England, so I can take them with me, and what kind of things are different in Oz compared to here e.g. culture

I have a 24 hour flight, which is gonna be grim and flying with Singapore Airways. Do they have a good reputation?

Sorry for all the quetions :)

Singapore have a good rep, get a top deck seat on the A380

M&S underwear, and culture in QLD is a bit unsubtle. Look to having a way to get UK TV, you'll never disparage ITV again. And footie isn't what you think.

Temp wise, think south of spain. You'll only wear warm clothes if you are a wuss.

Oh, and you will have people having a problem with the accent. Practice your "she'll be right".

PS Flip flops = thongs (yes, I know)

charleyrogan Mar 1st 2013 8:01 am

Can you get iplayer in oz? I can't live without Russell Howards Good News!

Dvds won't work over there will they?

What do they call thongs then?

GarryP Mar 1st 2013 8:08 am

Originally Posted by charleyrogan (Post 10576809)

You need a way of bypassing the geo checks to get it, so do a search here for the methods.

Not in Aus DVD players, but blurays will (same region). DVDs can be made to work in in computers, but better to rip methinks.

Now there's a question....

Saxy Mar 1st 2013 9:14 am

Use the free Expat Shield for iPlayer & BBCiPlayer Desktop, it works fine.
You can also use FilmOn, this will give you the major UK progs. but not SKY. Just download it, register, and then you can record the programs you want.
On the free SD version you get 10 hours of recording space. If you want more than that you will have to pay for the HD version.

John.

lesleys Mar 1st 2013 9:24 am

or hola.org

We're using it and it's so easy.

charleyrogan Mar 1st 2013 9:27 am

Thanks for all your help!!

Random question, can i bring hp brown sauce in my checked luggage? I have seen that they have British shops but i am not paying £5-6 for sauce!

Is driving much different? I usually drive a manual but my host family have an auto.

I shall pack some warmer clothes too then, i have jeggings and jeans and sweat shirts on my list

What are prices like for sun tan lotion? Should i buy in England or is it cheaper in oz?

Grayling Mar 1st 2013 10:12 am

Is this all just a wind up?

DanSolihull Mar 1st 2013 10:14 am

I've heard very good things about Singapore Airlines but never flown with them myself. Deffo bring Galaxy if you like chocolate, the Cadbury's over here isn't the same either. Most cars are auto over here I've found.

mikelincs Mar 1st 2013 10:28 am

Have a few bananas before you move over as they are so expensive they are a real luxury in Oz. Apparently the same applies to lemons and limes..