Moving to Oz

Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oz

Hi all,

Not been on here for a very long time and last time I was here the plan was to move to Canada, but with setting up a new business with my wife and have two kids we stayed in the UK for the time being.

Things are fine in the UK and I thought if it would be I would still want to stay but having Children you want the best for them and the life we have in the UK is not want I want for me or my family.

The reason for Oz instead of Canada is quite a few reasons that I won't bore you with but the main one being the warm weather and the fact I have quite a lot of family living in Perth and it would be a good support as we would not be on our own from the start. Another really good reason is I sell Mid to high range baby and kids up to 16 years old clothing and toys and its going really well but mostly quite a lot of my sales are to Oz even with the high shipping.

Looking into this deeply I noticed what we sell is not as widely available as it is here and there is a nice gap in the market for what we do there as the UK is quite flooded but we get through it with great customer service.

For months now I have been looking into this and the best way it seems would be a self sponsored 457 Visa according to an agent I spoke to, as I could set my business up over there instead and have the support of my family to help out if needed.

My daughters are 3 and 2 by the way and I would like to get them into a good school when they are old enough and not be to far away from the beach as we like to go out. So if anyone could suggest areas in and around Perth that would be great, I like the Suburbs Cul De Sac type places but I still like shops and what not to not be to far away. If I was to say I don't really want to spend more then £1000 on rent per month when I arrive but I would look to increase that or buy a house when my business if and when takes off. Would £1000 a month get anything decent or is that going to get me a shack?

If anyone has anything they can add to help me along or any comments I would be happy to hear them.

Oh and if someone could give me some recommendations for Mara agents in Oz ideally that offer a no Visa no Fee policy.

Thank you for your time

Last edited by neolight90; Jan 14th 2013 at 8:38 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:47 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz

Varying rates of exchange aside, rents are high, expect to pay a minimum of $500 per WEEK in a good area for a 3 bed house possibly even higher. Look on domain.com.au for rentals and compare suburbs which you like.
There are some good mid-high range baby/kids stores in NSW, not sure about the other states. One called Gumboots is very good and we used to use that a lot. For your online Oz orders, might be worth doing a geographical survey and see what areas those orders came from to help you decide on location for your business.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:34 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons you might have a lot of sales from Aus, even as a UK seller, is the ridiculously high price of postage within Australia. Lots of people here buy online from overseas as it works out as cheap (or cheaper) than buying from an Australian retailer. It might well be that you've identified a gap in the market. Or you might have found where a lot of other retailers have gone to die, as their competition is actually global (or at least overseas), not local, business. Of course, this could all be irrelevant if you're planning a bricks and mortar rather than online store. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie George
One of the reasons you might have a lot of sales from Aus, even as a UK seller, is the ridiculously high price of postage within Australia. Lots of people here buy online from overseas as it works out as cheap (or cheaper) than buying from an Australian retailer. It might well be that you've identified a gap in the market. Or you might have found where a lot of other retailers have gone to die, as their competition is actually global (or at least overseas), not local, business. Of course, this could all be irrelevant if you're planning a bricks and mortar rather than online store. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I have been checking out the postage costs compared to ours and still, the main problem I see is not so much the postage costs but the price they charge per item is well above what we charge, I am still trying to work out why that is.

I had a bricks and mortar shop here but I closed it as I felt that online was making more of a profit and retails on the high street is dying here. Do people still shop on the high street there or is it mostly done online, as I may just stick to that and keep my costs down.

On another note, I am wondering how much money I would need from the start on this, I have been trying to work this out on how much they would expect me to have and if I would need to hire Australians which I intend to do whats set up, as I have so much stock here at the moment it is going to require a warehouse when I bring it with me and I need this running and then of course there is the shop/s I will open if the market is there.

Is this area good for shoppers http://www.realcommercial.com.au/pro...erth-500172956

Last edited by neolight90; Jan 15th 2013 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:49 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and if someone could give me some recommendations for Mara agents in Oz ideally that offer a no Visa no Fee policy.
On the agent part, you obviously are aware of the need to be mara registered but their physical location isn't important, ineed if you are applying from the UK, an agent in the UK might be useful, though many have offices in the UK and Oz.

I haven't heard of a no visa no fee option and I think it's unlikely. This is because, although an agent can present your case in the best way, there is never going to be a 100% certainty of success. The agent still has to do the work and you still have to hand over your application fee to the immigration department. This fee is not refundable is you fail to get your visa.

George Lombard and Alan Collet are well respected agents and are members of B.E. They can be found in the members search.

As to prices in Oz, true there are SOME increased expenses for retailers due to distances etc., etc., etc., but frankly most of them just take the piss. So whilst operating within Oz might cost you a bit more, I'm sure that you could under cut quite easily. Although, some of them are learning, slowly.

I buy most of my internet items from the U.K., Germany and the USA.

Hope this helps, a bit anyway.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
On the agent part, you obviously are aware of the need to be mara registered but their physical location isn't important, ineed if you are applying from the UK, an agent in the UK might be useful, though many have offices in the UK and Oz.

I haven't heard of a no visa no fee option and I think it's unlikely. This is because, although an agent can present your case in the best way, there is never going to be a 100% certainty of success. The agent still has to do the work and you still have to hand over your application fee to the immigration department. This fee is not refundable is you fail to get your visa.

George Lombard and Alan Collet are well respected agents and are members of B.E. They can be found in the members search.

As to prices in Oz, true there are SOME increased expenses for retailers due to distances etc., etc., etc., but frankly most of them just take the piss. So whilst operating within Oz might cost you a bit more, I'm sure that you could under cut quite easily. Although, some of them are learning, slowly.

I buy most of my internet items from the U.K., Germany and the USA.

Hope this helps, a bit anyway.

Yes very helpful thank you.

I agree the prices are well over the top and I intend to come in and undercut them all with a great service to boot and I intend to bring items in that are not there, such as things Brits may miss for there kids. I see some real potential over there.

I have already been in contact with Go Matilda and I intend to use them.

How would you go from a 457 to PR and how long after arriving can you apply for PR being there on a 457? Can you even go over on a Working Holiday Visa and work for myself in that 12 months to get something going then change visas, or is that out of the question as it does say as well I can't bring my children, so I am wondering if my wife could come over on a tourist visa with my kids so I can see them

Last edited by neolight90; Jan 15th 2013 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neolight90
I have been checking out the postage costs compared to ours and still, the main problem I see is not so much the postage costs but the price they charge per item is well above what we charge, I am still trying to work out why that is.

I had a bricks and mortar shop here but I closed it as I felt that online was making more of a profit and retails on the high street is dying here. Do people still shop on the high street there or is it mostly done online, as I may just stick to that and keep my costs down.

On another note, I am wondering how much money I would need from the start on this, I have been trying to work this out on how much they would expect me to have and if I would need to hire Australians which I intend to do whats set up, as I have so much stock here at the moment it is going to require a warehouse when I bring it with me and I need this running and then of course there is the shop/s I will open if the market is there.

Is this area good for shoppers http://www.realcommercial.com.au/pro...erth-500172956
Perth commercial rents are known to be high and there are other uncompetitive factors such as businesses within shopping centres having to pay a percentage of their takings to the shopping centre owners, and the high costs of employing staff. That link is for property in the CBD and you would have to ask yourself if that is where most parents, most likely mums, would go to shop for their kids (I know that I wouldn't). Apart from major shopping shopping centres like Lakeside, Whitfords, Karrinyup, Innaloo, Morley (NOR) and Garden City or Cockburn (SOR), there are the commercial areas of Wangara, Balcatta, Osborne Park, Myaree, etc, that have retail outlets.

A lot of people in Australia are shopping online as it is so much cheaper than rip-off Australian prices, plus you get a much better choice of products (especially if you live in Perth), plus you get things delivered to your door.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neolight90
Yes very helpful thank you.

I agree the prices are well over the top and I intend to come in and undercut them all with a great service to boot and I intend to bring items in that are not there, such as things Brits may miss for there kids. I see some real potential over there.

I have already been in contact with Go Matilda and I intend to use them.

How would you go from a 457 to PR and how long after arriving can you apply for PR being there on a 457? Can you even go over on a Working Holiday Visa and work for myself in that 12 months to get something going then change visas, or is that out of the question as it does say as well I can't bring my children, so I am wondering if my wife could come over on a tourist visa with my kids so I can see them
You can apply for PR as soon as you are eligible for it. You can start off on a WHV if you wish, but no the children can't come with you, and I sem to remember someone being advised in the past that the route you suggest (wife and kids as tourists) isn't allowed - check that one with your agent though
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
Perth commercial rents are known to be high and there are other uncompetitive factors such as businesses within shopping centres having to pay a percentage of their takings to the shopping centre owners, and the high costs of employing staff. That link is for property in the CBD and you would have to ask yourself if that is where most parents, most likely mums, would go to shop for their kids (I know that I wouldn't). Apart from major shopping shopping centres like Lakeside, Whitfords, Karrinyup, Innaloo, Morley (NOR) and Garden City or Cockburn (SOR), there are the commercial areas of Wangara, Balcatta, Osborne Park, Myaree, etc, that have retail outlets.

A lot of people in Australia are shopping online as it is so much cheaper than rip-off Australian prices, plus you get a much better choice of products (especially if you live in Perth), plus you get things delivered to your door.
Thanks for the information on that, I was thinking that maybe I would stay online only for the time being in Oz and offer a good price that you are used to and hopefully people will shop with me from time to time rather then buying aboard if I can offer the service and a good price
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can apply for PR as soon as you are eligible for it. You can start off on a WHV if you wish, but no the children can't come with you, and I sem to remember someone being advised in the past that the route you suggest (wife and kids as tourists) isn't allowed - check that one with your agent though
I thought that might be the case with WHV so I won't do that then. As for being Eligible for PR how long is it for a 457 or is it different for each person, what criteria do you need to meet if that is the case?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

I was told I need the wages I was going to pay myself while I was there but I am wondering how many years of the 4 years do they want to see because if course I would be making money while there that were go into the company pot that would then pay me or do I need all of the money up front
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:45 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey.....I never knew you could sponsor YOURSELF for a 457!!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
I didnt know that either until I spoke to the agent, but its a lot of forms as I have to do 3 applications in total
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I've wondered about that from the start. I honestly can't see any way it can be done as I always thought the employer has to meet certain criteria in order to sponsor for a 457 - training requirements etc need to be met as well.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-457/

Willing to be corrected though if it IS possible.....
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've wondered about that from the start. I honestly can't see any way it can be done as I always thought the employer has to meet certain criteria in order to sponsor for a 457 - training requirements etc need to be met as well.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-457/

Willing to be corrected though if it IS possible.....
I have to set up as a limited company as I can't sponsor myself, but a company can even if I own it.

I forgot to mention I will be bringing around $50k AUD worth of stock with me if that would help as well as around as well as around $40k AUD liquid cash if that helps at all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.