Moving to Oz

Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:03 am
Just Joined

stig2k16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oz

Morning All,

My first post on here so please be gentle!

Just a brief summary, I am moving to Sydney in February 2011 so I am just reading up on info at present.

Apologies if this is the incorrect area.

I have been offered a sponsorship in a company to start the backend of February. This will be on a 457 visa which I believe is temporary.

However there are a number of companies who want to interview me, but understandably want to see my face to face. What would your recommendations be, accept the sponsorship job currently offered and goto the interviews and chose the best role. Or go on a holiday visa and take the interviews that way???

This is all very new to me, so any info on areas to live, preferably North Beaches, best bank, internet. Also, is there any restrictions on company cars etc.

Many thanks again, and any info is appreciated.

Stephen
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Oz

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Others may disagree but I would say take your current offer if you are interested in it. If something better comes along then you can always move on. Have they put a probationary period in your contract? Is there clawback on any costs if you leave within a certain duration?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:17 am
Just Joined

stig2k16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve, I understand some people may think its the unethical approach, however been selfish its a big move and you need to make sure its the correct career choice etc.

On your questions, they are something I will look into as they are key. Again thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stig2k16
I understand some people may think its the unethical approach, however been selfish its a big move and you need to make sure its the correct career choice etc.
In my experience employers can be just as ruthless when they are looking after their own interests. Look after numero uno, they'll look after their end.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2009
In my experience employers can be just as ruthless when they are looking after their own interests. Look after numero uno, they'll look after their end.
I wholly endorse the above comments
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

You could accept the sponsorship offer but keep looking around at other jobs too as a back-up plan. Switching employers is possible after you get here but not all of them will support you for a 457.

What's more - even fewer may support you financially for PR. So if you can find one that is prepared to put that level of commitment into your contract, plump for them .