Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to OZ????

Moving to OZ????

Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Question Moving to OZ????

Can anyone nice people throw some good advice our way?!?

I have been offered a good job in Australia, had the interview in London 2 weeks ago and will be working under the employment Sponsership Visa!! Me and my wife will be coming out to either Melbourne or Sydney, not sure as yet but one of them two cities. (most likely Melbourne)

My head is pickled as its happened so fast. I need advice on renting houses, buying cars, Lifestyle costs, Shipping personal items over etc!!... Oh and the nightlife!. Will it be worth it??? Any thoughts on Melbourne

Any advice would be appreciated

Many Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to OZ????

Originally Posted by 29palms

I have been offered a good job in Australia, had the interview in London 2 weeks ago and will be working under the employment Sponsership Visa!! Me and my wife will be coming out to either Melbourne or Sydney, not sure as yet but one of them two cities. (most likely Melbourne)

My head is pickled as its happened so fast. I need advice on renting houses, buying cars, Lifestyle costs, Shipping personal items over etc!!... Oh and the nightlife!. Will it be worth it??? Any thoughts on Melbourne

Many Thanks
Melbourne is my hometown and we are about to return after 6 years in the UK. What can I say - I love it.

Now, let me throw a few things your way:

Renting

Start here www.realestate.com.au. Its a good place to start.

The Melbourne daily newspaper is online at www.theage.com.au and their career website which I've found quite useful is www.mycareer.com.au.

Lifestyle Costs

There is a debate raging on another thread at the moment where folk think it is just as expensive as the UK. Basically I reckon that's b*llocks as eating out is cheaper, heck, life is just cheaper. Supermarkets can be a bit more expensive but you are not restricted to buying your food there as there are loads of great markets and fruit and veg shops.

This is a good website ... http://www.visitvictoria.com.au/. Aimed at tourists but it will give you a good idea of what is out there in terms of social activities etc.

Shipping Personal Items

I'm having a bit of a mare at the moment dealing with removal companies. I am about to go with a mob called Anglo Pacific who are based here in Manchester. We have about 287 sq cubic feet of stuff which they have quoted me £1,500. Starting to lose the will really as I can not bear looking around anymore.

My hubby is English and not the easiest bloke in the world to impress but he can not say enough about Melbourne. He loves Oz, he knows we'll have a much better quality of life and there's a beach!!

Private message me if you want any help with this at all as I'm full of links, contacts and trivia!

Dinnie
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks
I can't offer any comment on Melbourne as we are in Brisbane but as to the question 'will it be worth it?' I would say yea definitely, as it is an opportunity not to be missed, and one that many people would like to have. Look on it as an adventure and all the memories it will create. You may like it enough to stay forever , who knows

Amanda
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have been offered a good job in Australia, had the interview in London 2 weeks ago and will be working under the employment Sponsership Visa!!

What kind of "employment sponsorship visa"? A permanent visa, or a temporary one? Both kinds exist.

If it's only a temporary visa, read this thread as there are some important things you need to know about:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

Jeremy