Moving to Oz

Old Jun 7th 2003, 9:35 am
Just Joined

jane of devon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oz

Doing a bit of forward planning here! I am currently a nursing student coming to the end of my first year. My husband and I want to relocate to Western Australia when I qualify in 2005 (sounds a long way away, but with the speed that this last year has gone..... will be here in no time!).

My husband lived in Western Australia for 6 years when he was younger and would love to return, unfortunately he was never a permenant resident or a citizen, and being there only 6 years makes him ineligible for a return visa. So when I qualify this will give us the qualification we need to get over there.

So just a few questions to those who may know....

How long do I have to be qualified as a nurse before I can come over to WA and work? Can I register with the board straight away or is there a waiting period?

Do nursing agencies take on nurses who have just qualified? And do hospitals take on overseas nurses who have just qualified?

Do hospitals do 'pre-ceptorship' for newly qualified overseas nurses?

Is it best to apply for a permenant visa, or an STNI? Which is quicker? (Too old for WH visa! - will be 35).

Any answers would be greatly appreciated as it will help us plan out the next few years, any other information would be welcome also - such as what it is like to nurse in Oz, i.e are drug names different, access to professional advancement, that sort of thing.

Many thanks
Old Jun 7th 2003, 12:44 pm
Badge

Default Re: Moving to Oz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jane of devon
Doing a bit of forward planning here! I am currently a nursing student coming to the end of my first year. My husband and I want to relocate to Western Australia when I qualify in 2005 (sounds a long way away, but with the speed that this last year has gone..... will be here in no time!).

My husband lived in Western Australia for 6 years when he was younger and would love to return, unfortunately he was never a permenant resident or a citizen, and being there only 6 years makes him ineligible for a return visa. So when I qualify this will give us the qualification we need to get over there.

So just a few questions to those who may know....

How long do I have to be qualified as a nurse before I can come over to WA and work? Can I register with the board straight away or is there a waiting period

can't help with the Experience side but as a nurse you will be processed rapidly - time still seems to vary though - and therefore may not need the STNI - although you are running the risk of not having the passmark of 115..

Old Jun 8th 2003, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, came out on a visa through my nursing experience.Think its three years post degee.Check out the DIMA site, that will tell you.you will need to get assessed by the ANCI , when they are happy that your quals are good enough( and have cashed your cheque) you can apply for registration in your chosen state.Kate. :PARTY:
Old Jun 8th 2003, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, just read the rest of your post. Yes they do preceptor new members of staff, most drugs have differant names- you just learn the new ones.Havn't worked for agencies, have got jobs as i wanted them.Nurses are in demand here as in the UK.Some hosps are offering re-location packages inc flight and accomadation. Hope that helps.Kate.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is also at the end of her first year nursing degree and we intend (hopefully) to move out to Perth post qualification. I thought it was a year's post quals experience that was required. Anyone know otherwise? Thanks for help.

Martin
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

jane of devon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MartyO
My wife is also at the end of her first year nursing degree and we intend (hopefully) to move out to Perth post qualification. I thought it was a year's post quals experience that was required. Anyone know otherwise? Thanks for help.

Martin
Most of the agencies I contacted and the hospitals stated that they wanted to see one years experience, however one did say that 6 months would be acceptable. I think I would like to get a years experience behind me anyway so I have some idea about what I'm doing!! I could use that extra year to save up some pennies and sort out the house and stuff. A year of extended anticipation!
Old Jun 8th 2003, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I am applying for a visa at the mo, well I am still waiting for my skills assessment back from ANCI. The forms state that you have to have been employed in your chosen occupation for at least 12 months in the last 2 years (or it could be 2yrs out of the last 3) I get that confused between the different forms.
Personally though I would advise you to get at least 12 months post qualification experience before going. It is stressful enough when you first qualify in the country where you train.
Good Luck though in whatever you decide.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

That was my understanding of things - in terms of the actual process of applying for a visa you have to have at least 1 year's experience in your chosen profession in the last 2 years. We are also looking a bit longer term and trying to focus on doing things in the next few years that help make a move to Perth possible. If we end up deciding not to go then we will still be better placed in lots of ways. Best of luck in your studies Jane - I know from my wife that it is quite tuff.

Thanks

martin