Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving out to Oz on my own!

Moving out to Oz on my own!

Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future
Default Moving out to Oz on my own!

Hey guys,
I've been offered the chance to work in Canberra - moving out hopefully in Jan!!

Just a bit worried about moving out on my own!

I'm sure many of you out there have done it!!!!

Looking for some advice/ top tips to survive doing visa forms, trying to sell my house, and getting my beloved cat out there with me - without totally losing the plot!!!

Cheers in advance

K
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:06 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving out to Oz on my own!

Originally Posted by Kristine
Hey guys,
I've been offered the chance to work in Canberra - moving out hopefully in Jan!!

Looking for some advice/ top tips to survive doing visa forms, trying to sell my house, and getting my beloved cat out there with me - without totally losing the plot!!!

Cheers in advance

K
There's a few here who are out there on their own, including one in Canberra (ScutterUK) and one in Melbourne (ianj). Both seem to be having a great time because they haven't been posting here so much! There are definite advantages to going on your own, I suspect.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

oh - you brave thing - cant offer any advice, but i do admire your 'gutsyness'

good luck,

tanja
Old Oct 15th 2004, 6:00 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Will keep an eye on this thread, because i will be going by myself too :scared:

It's scary

Pedro

Originally Posted by sunny side up
oh - you brave thing - cant offer any advice, but i do admire your 'gutsyness'

good luck,

tanja
Old Oct 15th 2004, 6:23 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Your not on your own anymore-youve got all us guys to keep you going along the way
Good luck
Donna.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going out all by my lonesome too!

Still, that's how I want it to be, as it makes things that bit less complicated, i.e. possibility of a partner not settling as well as you.

Whether I'll fell isolated? Yes, probably, at least in the beginning. But I'm one of lifes adventurers, so I'll try and take it in my stride. I don't have a house to sell, or a kitty, and I'm way off applying for my visa.

Nevertheless, I wish you the very best of luck. What sort of job will you be doing in Canberra?

Tony.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 9:04 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Your not on your own anymore-youve got all us guys to keep you going along the way
Thanks, thats one of the reasons i like being here you get to meet very nice people and the expat forums is a good way to make friends too, before and after the move...

I will be going out to Brisbane, to get a feel for the place ( already been there anyway ) early next year so im hoping to meet a few expats that may be living in Brisbane and surroundings. It makes the transition very smoother for later on

Regards,
Pedro

Last edited by Boomerang; Oct 15th 2004 at 9:07 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 9:08 pm
Cheeky

Hi there!!

Best of luck mate!!

Its an opportunity of a lifetime!!!! Go for it!!

Best of luck!!

Cheeky!!

Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Big visa tip is - what visa? It's usually far better to go to Australia as a permanent resident rather than a temporary resident (you can then get citizenship after two years). Canberra is eligible for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) and a lot of employers there use that.

Some people prefer the tax benefits of temporary residence (eg living away from home allowance) but my own view is that permanent status outweighs any tax benefits - agents see too many temporary residents in a visa mess because something hasn't worked out as planned.

Jeremy
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:12 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hey guys,

Cheers in advance

K
Best of luck Kristine - I bet you will have a terrific time!

FWIW, we shipped our 2 moggies out here a few months back (to Melbourne). We used Airpets (http://www.airpets.com/) and everything worked out fine. They did get a bit bored while in quarantine (30 days) but the staff at our local quarantine station were lovely, and did their best.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 6:42 am
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Moving out to Oz on my own!

Good luck to you, Kristine!

You are lucky to already have a job!

If/when I get my visa I'm going to Sydney on my own, too... and will try to make a living as a translator, go figure! Well, that's my plan, anyway! I figure I'm going to do all sorts of jobs, in between...

It *is* scary... all sorts of fears: will I find a job? Will I find a house? Will I survive??? Mommy!!!!!! :scared: But I think it's just the "big jump" syndrome ... the good old fear of the unknown...

I'm confident things will work out alright, in the end... as long as I'm given the chance to prove myself, that is!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the advice and pointers! You're a grand bunch!!!!

I am lucky that I have a job to go out for! I'm going to be working for the family services team in Canberra - they are also helping me out with visa (it's permanent).

I received some paperwork re moggy, so as least I feel a bit more sorted about that one!

Thanks once again
Will keep you posted
K.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:39 pm
claire1974

Hello, not really advice, but to say me and my partner are hoping to move to Canberra soon as im a nurse and will hopefully get a job offer through a agency this week. Be nice to keep in touch with someone who is going through the same process, as we dont know anybody in Auz let alone Canberra. Anyway, be pleased to comm here or on PM. Ive been trying to find Threads on Canberra but not that many. Seen the link about pets though. I have a cat who i want to bring with me

Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:28 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

I am moving out to Perth on my own in December this year.
I know how you feel, i have good days when i cant wait to go and days where i say to myself "I am doing the wrong thing, stay in the UK"
All i can say is keep thinking about the great weather you will have and the new friends you will make, thats what does it for me!
Best of luck with the cat i got 2 of em to ship out and i am gonna use Golden Arrow as they seem to be very good.

Best of British to you and take care
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

Cheers in advance

K
Hi Kristine

I came out here on my own too ... I chose Sydeny after an initial period with friends in Brisbane.

I agree with everyone here - my initial source of friends and support was a British Expats meet up in Brisbane - havent been able to make the Sydney ones yet but know I must.

My advice would be to share a place when you first come here. I made the mistake of living on my own and it can be tough in a new place without knowing anyone. (Thats not unique to Australia, its the same anywhere) ... BUT ... I am so happy I made the move ... life here is quirky, sometimes annoying, but also incredible

Not sure about Canberra though ... cant you reconsider and come to Sydney ... I'll shout you a Lemon Lime and Bitters !

All the best and stick it out .. the rewards are huge.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.