British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving Options!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-options-501873/)

HullyBullys Dec 27th 2007 11:09 am

Moving Options!!!!

When we plan to move to Brisbane in October/November time, we plan for myself to fly first to set up accomodation/banking/medicare/car/job hunting etc and then my wife and two girls to follow 2/3 weeks later.

We think this would be best rather than dragging the kids around everywhere with us, so that when they arrive, i should have everthing set up for us.

Has anyone else used this tactic?

Would like to see if anyone has a downside to doing this.

Cheers

moneypenny20 Dec 27th 2007 11:16 am

Re: Moving Options!!!!

If you're happy and your wife is happy to do it then do it. I wouldn't but that's just us. Finding a home needs (for us) a joint decision with all of us (girls are 15 and 12). Doing all that stuff is part of the move. If one of us had come out alone to do it, the one turning up later could (perhaps) find it harder to settle because it's sort of been handed on a plate.

My girls were bored rigid with the constant driving around BUT they were involved in finding a house, they were exploring the place as much as us, we are a unit and do things like that together.

I can see how for other people it would be easier but not for us.

HullyBullys Dec 27th 2007 11:26 am

Thanks moneypen20

The accomodation would only be short term whilst we find a house to buy, so wouldn't be a major drama.

I can well understand the exploring with the kids side of it, but with the age of ours, 6 and 8, they are not the most patient girls in the world so thats our thinking.

moneypenny20 Dec 27th 2007 11:36 am

Originally Posted by HullyBullys (Post 5708506)
Thanks moneypen20

The accomodation would only be short term whilst we find a house to buy, so wouldn't be a major drama.

I can well understand the exploring with the kids side of it, but with the age of ours, 6 and 8, they are not the most patient girls in the world so thats our thinking.

The ages of the kids is a biggy. Our girls moaned and moaned but hell, it was only a few days in the grand scheme of things and why should they have it easy when we could think of better things to do as well :lol:

Go with your gut. Everyone is different and only you know if it's something you can do. Your kids are old enough to be bearable with one parent on the trip over - hopefully :lol:

comet555 Dec 27th 2007 12:09 pm

You could bring the whole family over and still not drag them around for everything. Your wife could watch the kids at your new place while you sort out all the details. There's not much point in leaving them behind unless your wife will be sorting things out or working on that end. Just my opinion though.

When we arrived we had an 8 month old and 3 year old. We spent a month travelling around in hotels while my husband looked for work. We must have stayed in 10 different places that month! The kids did have to come with us on lots of things and it was a bit of a pain, they're not at a great age for errands. But it really wasn't that bad. You can sort out quite a bit in a few days if you really need to. We managed it and even had some fun that first month while we explored everything together.

So, I guess I just don't see the point if they'll be following only a couple weeks later. Unless there's some need for them to stay behind then they might as well come with you. If you don't want the kids with you on errands one of you can stay behind to watch the kids.

But, whatever works for you. You know your family so you're a much better judge of how everyone will handle it.

HullyBullys Dec 27th 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks guys

Its good to get another perspective on it :)