Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving in October - renting on Sunshine Coast

Moving in October - renting on Sunshine Coast

Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Edwards family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving in October - renting on Sunshine Coast

We are hopefully arriving on the Sunshine Coast towards the end of October. We will be wanting to rent a 4 bed house with pool. I have noticed from other posts that it is hard to secure a rental. We are worried as we are arriving at the beginning of the Summer/Christmas season. Any ideas on cost and agents and whether if may be possibel / better to secure a rental before arrival. Also it would need to be near good school for kids.

Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving in October - renting on Sunshine Coast

hi there. which area are you talking about..?.the sunshine coast is huge....

Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

We were first looking around the Noosa/Doonan areas but are now going more towards Moloolaba Maroochydore and Buderim.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Hi - we're arriving on 9th October and have rented a house with a pool from the UK. I know the area pretty well having been there twice this year and the house we've rented is on the Peregian Springs development where we've bought some land. It's also new, and there were lots of pictures. I didn'really want to arrive and spend money staying in hotels. Having said that, there are always a handful of properties there available for rent, from around $400-$650 a week - dearer with pool and overlooking the golf course. Long term rentals aren't particularly affected by holiday periods, this is actually quite a good time of the year to rent. If you do a search on realestate.com.au you'll get an idea of what's available and which agents to use. Do you have kids? We have a four year old. Peregian Springs is great if that's the kind of thing that appeals to you: close to the best beaches, close to shops, good schools and lots of housing available....
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kegsta
Hi - we're arriving on 9th October and have rented a house with a pool from the UK. I know the area pretty well having been there twice this year and the house we've rented is on the Peregian Springs development where we've bought some land. It's also new, and there were lots of pictures. I didn'really want to arrive and spend money staying in hotels. Having said that, there are always a handful of properties there available for rent, from around $400-$650 a week - dearer with pool and overlooking the golf course. Long term rentals aren't particularly affected by holiday periods, this is actually quite a good time of the year to rent. If you do a search on realestate.com.au you'll get an idea of what's available and which agents to use. Do you have kids? We have a four year old. Peregian Springs is great if that's the kind of thing that appeals to you: close to the best beaches, close to shops, good schools and lots of housing available....
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. We also have a 4 year old (boy) along with a 9 year old (boy) and a 3 year old (girl). We were there two years ago and looked at some houses on Perigian. Did you have to supply references etc. to rent from the UK. Did you have to sign up for a period of time ie. 6 months. I was going to book holiday accommodation for 3-4 weeks and then look around for a rental.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Give Cotton Tree Real Estate a call, they have holiday units on the ocean front for reasonable money. These are in Alexandra Headland though rather than Peregian Springs which is about 20 minutes from civilization :-)

http://www.cottontreerealestate.com.au/
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Edwards family
We were first looking around the Noosa/Doonan areas but are now going more towards Moloolaba Maroochydore and Buderim.
i think it can come down to how much you want to pay aswell. I was living in maroochydoore about 4 years ago..and rents were not all that cheap then.......i loved the buderim area tho..and wouldn't hesitate to move back there if the opportunity arised.

good luck with everything..one thing is for sure..you are moving to a beautiful part of Australia....
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Thanks for your reply. We also have a 4 year old (boy) along with a 9 year old (boy) and a 3 year old (girl). We were there two years ago and looked at some houses on Perigian. Did you have to supply references etc. to rent from the UK. Did you have to sign up for a period of time ie. 6 months. I was going to book holiday accommodation for 3-4 weeks and then look around for a rental.
Hi again... We didn't actually supply too much in the way of references, but we did have to do the 100 point ID check, which you'll get used to as it's used for lots of purposes in Australia - basically different documents get you varying numbers of points - a passport is 70 and a driving licence is 30 so if you can supply copies of those then that's the check done (although some bodies would insist on that being an Australian driving licence, ours didn't). Also I needed to provide proof of income and as I'd never rented before, I sent them my current land registration in England to prove I was currently a homeowner (basically I deluged them with lots of bits and pieces and I think they gave up the will to live!). I think you'll find every landlord is different.

We signed up for 8 months as I know that's at least how long we'll need when our house is being built. I'm guessing it's negotiable, but probably minimum of six, you may get three, but that's more likely to be a unit...

With regards to holiday accommodation, one place I did check out which did "medium term" rentals at a discount - i.e. around 4 weeks plus, was Glen Eden Resort at Peregian Beach. Not been there myself, but it's in a good location and there's lots of info on their website. Outside of the high season there is tons of stuff all along the Coast and there's deals to be done on site even if you can't do them remotely.

What date are you arriving? I'm currently trying to find a pre-school for my little boy. He's not due to start school until the end of January and I think he'll need a bit of stimulation between now and then!

Good luck, maybe we'll bump into eachother - what date are you arriving? What do you and your husband do (I'm guessing with 3 kids you'll pretty much be spoken for!). I used to live in Manchester years ago - whereabouts are you from?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

We are both self employed and are going on a business visa. We live in Urmston. We have sold our house and are renting at the moment and selling another property and a business (just going through at the moment). We are hoping to fly out at the end of October so we can, hopefully get settled ready for Christmas. It has took us two years to get everthing sorted and I just want to get there now.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

We are both self employed and are going on a business visa. We live in Urmston. We have sold our house and are renting at the moment and selling another property and a business (just going through at the moment). We are hoping to fly out at the end of October so we can, hopefully get settled ready for Christmas. It has took us two years to get everthing sorted and I just want to get there now.
I know exactly how you feel - although we only started the process in March.. We are also going on a Business Visa (160)... Well done on selling your house, wish we had :-( Hopefully we'll sell it in the next few weeks, but my husband is staying here until the beginning of December anyway as he needs to be here for business reasons (we are keeping the business here running)... Isn't Noosa gorgeous? We also looked seriously at living in Doonan and almost bought a house there. But decided against, partly because lots of people there dissuaded us (hard to sell, a long way from shops, lots of land to look after, zero price growth).. The main reason in the end was that I know my son is going to want to go to the beach ALL THE TIME, and I can see what a pain that will be living "in the hinterland". So we're going for the more straightforward option (ha ha) of building our own house (but it is only five minutes from the beach...)
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

That sounds great - ideally we would love to build our own house. We are going on a 163 visa - not sure what the difference is though.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

163 means I guess you were sponsored by Queensland. 160 is essentially the same, but doesn't require sponsorship. You need to be under 45 to apply for a 160 and have to have more assets and turnover I believe than for a 163. It just means it was a bit quicker and we can live anywhere!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds great - ideally we would love to build our own house. We are going on a 163 visa - not sure what the difference is though.
Hi Hun, we stayed in a hotel for a month on the Mooloolaba front. If you want me to get you numbers of the real estate over here then will do for you - no problem. When you leave your UK rental, ask them for a reference on how you have left the property etc, it may come in handy and be an ace you need. My cousin is leaving a property in about a months time (they bought a house), it is a 4 bed with a pool $420 a week and is in a break lease situation. Would that be any good timeline wise???
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cathnpaul. That would be great. I think we met you at the last meet in the UK (bolton). We were the late arrivals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.