British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving from NZ to OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-nz-oz-681028/)

aalls73 Aug 13th 2010 9:14 am

Moving from NZ to OZ

Hi all, this is just a shot in the dark but could somebody tell me how easy (or difficult) it is to move from NZ to OZ, we've been in NZ from the UK for 2 years and the OH is an Electrician (NZ registered).
Whats the work situation? What are the best areas for us to be looking at (me, hubby and 2 kids aged 7 and 10)......
Please help??????

Buzzy--Bee Aug 13th 2010 9:22 am

Re: Moving from NZ to OZ

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8774326)
Hi all, this is just a shot in the dark but could somebody tell me how easy (or difficult) it is to move from NZ to OZ, we've been in NZ from the UK for 2 years and the OH is an Electrician (NZ registered).
Whats the work situation? What are the best areas for us to be looking at (me, hubby and 2 kids aged 7 and 10)......
Please help??????

Are you NZ citizens? If so, hop on a plane as you get a TR444 visa on arrival. If you are NZ PR or TR then you have no visa rights in Oz and have to apply as if you had never lived in NZ.

I do not know whether NZ electrician registrations can be ported to Oz, this may vary from state to state.

A fully qualified electrician in Melbourne should earn around AU$70 per hour. Not sure elsewhere.

Work is far more plentiful here than NZ in general, the wages are higher and the cost of living lower.

BB

aalls73 Aug 13th 2010 9:47 am

Hi we are resident here in Nz but not citizens so how does that work???? and melbourne is the area we have been looking at

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8774337)
Are you NZ citizens? If so, hop on a plane as you get a TR444 visa on arrival. If you are NZ PR or TR then you have no visa rights in Oz and have to apply as if you had never lived in NZ.

I do not know whether NZ electrician registrations can be ported to Oz, this may vary from state to state.

A fully qualified electrician in Melbourne should earn around AU$70 per hour. Not sure elsewhere.

Work is far more plentiful here than NZ in general, the wages are higher and the cost of living lower.

BB

Buzzy--Bee Aug 13th 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8774385)
Hi we are resident here in Nz but not citizens so how does that work???? and melbourne is the area we have been looking at

I'm afraid your NZ residency gives you no advantage in Australia over anyone else from any other country. For immigration purposes, it counts for nothing in Australia.

Maybe start by having a look at http://www.immi.gov.au for tips on applying to emigrate to Australia. Electrician is on the skilled occupations list so you have a good chance of success.

BB

ianandhelena Aug 13th 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8774326)
Please help??????

Your situation will be different if you become NZ citizens (as buzzy was impyling).

Have you looked into that?

Buzzy--Bee Aug 13th 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ianandhelena (Post 8775075)
Your situation will be different if you become NZ citizens (as buzzy was impyling).

Have you looked into that?

If they have only been in NZ 2 years then they will have another 3 years to wait before they can apply under normal circumstances.

BB

aalls73 Aug 13th 2010 8:24 pm

yeah unfortunately that is correct, but hey!!! life brought us here to NZ who's knows where it will take us next :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8775401)
If they have only been in NZ 2 years then they will have another 3 years to wait before they can apply under normal circumstances.

BB

mohogony Aug 13th 2010 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8775411)
yeah unfortunately that is correct, but hey!!! life brought us here to NZ who's knows where it will take us next :thumbup:

why did you move to NZ and not OZ in the first place?

aalls73 Aug 13th 2010 10:29 pm

the lack of creepy crawlies haha

Originally Posted by mohogony (Post 8775505)
why did you move to NZ and not OZ in the first place?

gunn1 Aug 14th 2010 3:07 am

We did the move from Wellington to Brisbane just over 2 years ago, for my partner's work. It might sound really obvious, but it blindsided me a bit - they are completely different places, with quite different attitudes and ways of life. That might work for you or against you, but just don't expect to come to a hotter, sunnier NZ!! (I think I did... :o)

Petals Aug 14th 2010 3:56 am

I think if you want difference you have to move to Sydney or Melbourne, we left NZ and I moved to Sydney and then on to Melbourne after a couple of years and we would not leave now.

mohogony Aug 14th 2010 9:53 am

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8775619)
the lack of creepy crawlies haha

Theres still creepy crawlies in OZ they havent suddenly all disappeared in the past 2 years, so are you no longer affraid of them?. l've never had any problem with them apart from the flies which can be annoying in summer.