Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from NZ to Oz

Moving from NZ to Oz

Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:37 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from NZ to Oz

Should there be a moving from NZ to OZ board on this site? it seems that quite a few people make the move across the ditch every year and such a forum could be useful.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:40 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from NZ to Oz

Originally Posted by Nerine
Should there be a moving from NZ to OZ board on this site? it seems that quite a few people make the move across the ditch every year and such a forum could be useful.
Quite a few move back to NZ too...just don't hear about them as much.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Quite a few move back to NZ too...just don't hear about them as much.
Too ashamed to admit perhaps?
Is it true the Ozzies and Kiwis really dislike each other, sometimes I wonder if its tongue in cheek, but sometimes it feels an awful lot more?? Just curious really.
As a kiwi, what do you think of Ozzies and why do you live in Oz not NZ?
Sorry being a nosy so and so.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

YES!!
I have had my rose specs broke about OZ before I go, thanks to the many posters on here about life in OZ. I still wish to go though, eldest wants to eventually live in Brisbane too in later years and it means we will be closer to him than being in Europe. (I need my Europe fix though before I settle in Brissy) but all info, good or bad is useful IMO.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:59 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to ask once, if any (expats) have moved from Oz to Nz, and did you find it more agreeable. ie, more English (financial considerations aside).
Old Dec 30th 2006, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FPM
I was going to ask once, if any (expats) have moved from Oz to Nz, and did you find it more agreeable. ie, more English (financial considerations aside).
Since I have been living in NZ, I know of quite a few families that have gone to OZ (lost count but well past 12 I think, people I know personally I am talking about)
But as yet, I only know of ONE family come to NZ from OZ, but are now going back to OZ!!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:10 am
FPM
Banned

FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Since I have been living in NZ, I know of quite a few families that have gone to OZ (lost count but well past 12 I think, people I know personally I am talking about)
But as yet, I only know of ONE family come to NZ from OZ, but are now going back to OZ!!
Oh,,,scrap that plan then
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:41 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM
I've lived in both countries and yes NZ is more English, OZ more American. I wouldn't just go by posters on this forum though. Maybe you should check out the NZ forum and ask those who have been there. I appreciate Rascal hates NZ, but that's just her opinion If you notice virtually EVERY post she makes is anti-nz. Now that's not a good indication in my opinion.There are many others who are quite happy with the move to NZ they made.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:48 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Rascal
Too ashamed to admit perhaps?
Is it true the Ozzies and Kiwis really dislike each other, sometimes I wonder if its tongue in cheek, but sometimes it feels an awful lot more?? Just curious really.
As a kiwi, what do you think of Ozzies and why do you live in Oz not NZ?
Sorry being a nosy so and so.
I consider them an arrogant, parochial, pretensious lot of no hopers. I came here when my marriage broke up and my bro and sis were living here, and said, 'hey come on over'. I don't regret coming here but I do wish I had sorted things out a lot earlier and returned to NZ or UK.

Standard of living in OZ may be better than in NZ but it's a country that lacks maturity and a soul IMO.

Incidentally, my sis who has lived in OZ, NZ and Eurpoe inc UK has been back in NZ since '99 and no plans to leave. Don't blame her. OZ is different to NZ but I honestly couldn't say it's better unless you value all the latest gizmos in ya house. Even basic foods like meat and fish are out of reach of some here now
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:41 am
FPM
Banned

I've been to NZ a few times. Mostly business, sometimes pleasure, sometimes racing . In fact I proposed to Yoosun on the shores of Lake Taupo. We'd hired a motorhome as I wanted to check out the IronMan NZ course before I raced there. We camped on the lake, had a setting sun, a snow capped Mount Ruapaho (sp) in the backround, 'twas all very nice. I'd snuck the ring across in our luggage.

That holiday we spent 10 days in the motorhome on Nth Island and had 2 days in a hotel in Auckland. I thought it was nice. Bit dissapointed at the amount of logging. Some of the hills looked very scarred. But mostly it was nice.

On my business trips I've always found NZ to be slightly ahead of Oz in it's uptake of technology, particularly in the telco stuff. Things may have changed now though.

Haven't been to Sth Island but am told it is very nice.

And I still don't get that stupid turning right rule
Old Dec 30th 2006, 11:07 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by FPM
Haven't been to Sth Island but am told it is very nice.
Sth Island is lovely. Much more scenic I think than the Nth, tho the Nth certainly does have it's highlight spots too. Always different living in a country to holidaying in it. If you have OZ citizenship though, no reason why you couldn't go to NZ for a year or two and see how you feel about it.

If when I go back to NZ it doesn't work out for me, then I'll be looking at maybe heading off to the UK. I'll be giving myself a year in NZ (cos I have friends, family, contacts) as opposed to say 2 yrs to decide.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:25 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The comment about the telcos here being more advanced here was interesting. You must've been here a while back because Oz seems like it's streets ahead now, a bit more choice and some real competition would be good.

New Zealanders seem to be good at innovation and thinking outside the box whilst Oz seems to have the financial muscle to put ideas into action, their government seems to subsidise things more than ours does here. There are some areas of NZ that could do with some inward investment.

Why New Zealand persists in maintaining its distance from Australia I'll never know, I'm sure it would fare a lot better if it became another state rather than just being seen as the poor relation across the ditch. Britain turned it's economic back on the kiwis when it joined the common market, it would make sense for NZ to join with the trading clout that Australia has, may also stop some of the brain drain too.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:08 am
FPM
Banned

The comment about the telcos here being more advanced here was interesting. You must've been here a while back because Oz seems like it's streets ahead now, a bit more choice and some real competition would be good.
Ah, depends which angle you're looking at from. I'm a corporate procurement mgr for IT & Telco (was then, am now) so I was referring to initial take ups, tech, pilots, etc. Most of my suppliers always use NZ as a tech test bed as they seem to be able to get things rolling quicker and have much better buy in from the business.

In terms of how that is rolled out domestically however you could be right. Most of my involvement is at the inception/ proof of concept stage.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 3:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why New Zealand persists in maintaining its distance from Australia I'll never know, I'm sure it would fare a lot better if it became another state

Like Tasmania?
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:53 am
Jedi Princess

Why New Zealand persists in maintaining its distance from Australia I'll never know, I'm sure it would fare a lot better if it became another state rather than just being seen as the poor relation across the ditch. Britain turned it's economic back on the kiwis when it joined the common market, it would make sense for NZ to join with the trading clout that Australia has, may also stop some of the brain drain too.
Will never happen. No self respecting kiwi would ever vote to become part of australia. The idea is preposterous to us.

NZ has it's own heritage, culture and traditions that are very separate and very different from OZ. We don't think in the australian mould and we don't want to be part of it! We have our own national pride.

Sure closer economic ties that don't screw either party would be good. We may have an historical linkage to OZ through GB but NZ never wanted to be (was suggested we became part of OZ around the time of OZ federation) another australian state and it never will be. This whole idea was revisited recently due to corporate lobbying of some halfwit politician there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.