Moving to NZ

Old Jun 29th 2004, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

sallyrtwt is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Moving to NZ

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here moved from the UK to NZ? I'm starting to consider moving as an option, but I'd like to hear stories (successful and crap) of your move over there. It's still a possibility rather than a plan so I'm trying to find out as much as poss before setting anything in concrete.

Thanks!

Sally.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

JFDI
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
JFDI

Sorry but what does JFDI mean? I'm very new to this.

Sally.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Yes I moved to NZ (Auckland) about 12 years ago. I spent 7 years living on the North Shore (Glenfield) and really enjoyed it. The thing I liked best was the country was about the same size as UK and so it was relatively easy to get around, also the weather (temp wise anyway) wasn't that much different to UK weather but without the severe frosts in winter and foggy overcast days.

It's also a very green country and the people are very friendly (every second person on the Shore seemed to be a Brit). Work wise I did contract work in IT and I never had a problem finding another contract once one finished. As far as I'm concerned it was eaiser in Auckland than it is in Brisbane (but Brisbane pays better).

Also I found NZ had more of an English feel to it, whereas Oz is very American.

Still got a house in Auckland (Milford) and might even go back eventually, thats more than I would say for the UK, as never been back since I left and no plans to.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for that, it was really helpful. Like I said, I'm still in the thinking-about stage so any info is great. I really want to leave England (Today being a prime example of my reasons - 30th of June and pissing down with rain all morning), but just haven't decided where to go yet. I spent a month travelling round NZ in 2000 and really loved it - the scenery, the friendliness - so it is definitely a possibility.

Did you find your job prior to arrival or find it when you got there? Finding work is my major concern. At present I'm a PA, is there more office type work in Auckland than the rest of the North Island?

Sorry for so many questions.....
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to NZ and we love it. I decided where I wanted to live then got a job there {I'm a nurse, so there are jobs everywhere, same shortages as the UK}. In certain parts of NZ it rains a lot too, such as February when it rained EVERY day here, except one.

Cleaner, greener, friendlier, what more could I say, other than this is only my opinion and other may feel differently.

Gill
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Gill, thats really helpful.

It's interesting that your a nurse because I am considering training to become a midwife, do you happen to know if there are shortages in this field too?
Are there many qualification/training differences between NZ and the UK? Or could you work straight away?

Thanks again.

Sally.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Moved to NZ last year. Friendly people, great quality of life, weather better (here in Sunny Hawkes bay anyway as there are numerous regional variations); safe environment; fab scenery.

Downsides are: far from home; poor pay; poor currys; work opportunities.

You really need to bring a big wedge of cash with you to buy a house as housing seems just as expensive in NZ as it in the South England if you earn Kiwi salaries.

Can you get residency as a PA? Usually need an in-demand profession or trade with years of experience.

You can train to become to be a midwife here. However you'll need to fully fund it yourself - course fees and living costs. I know of student nurses who work almost full-time elsewhere on top of study to survice and still have student debts. No bursarys here.

Roger