Reload this Page >

Moving To Northshore.

Moving To Northshore.

Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

calliemac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Northshore.

Hi,
I am looking to speak to anyone living in the Northshore area of New Zealand. My wife & I are thinking of moving there next year. We have looked as much as we can on the Net and found out quite a lot of info. but nothing beats talking to someone who is there. My wife is a midwife & she is going to London in Oct. for a meeting/interview with the health authority from Northshore.
Should we stay or should we go ?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving To Northshore.

Well I lived on the North Shore (Glenfield) for 7 years before moving to Brisbane and I think it is a fantastic place to live. The main down side is if you have to commute into the city to work as the traffic across the bridge is a nightmare. But I found public transport the best way to commute to the city, it was only 13kms but took me an hour about (left 7:15 got in 8:15).

But as you are talking about working on the Shore you won't have that problem. There is everything you need on the Shore to live, entertainmet, shopping centres, beaches, industry it has it's own council and it is the (I think) 4 biggest population centre in NZ.

My last job in NZ was on the Shore and it was a 10 minute commute by car to and from work magic. If things hadn't worked out for me in Oz I'd def have gone back to Auckand as it's got a climate closer to UK's than Brisbane but without the frosts or foggy days.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by calliemac
Hi,
I am looking to speak to anyone living in the Northshore area of New Zealand. My wife & I are thinking of moving there next year. We have looked as much as we can on the Net and found out quite a lot of info. but nothing beats talking to someone who is there. My wife is a midwife & she is going to London in Oct. for a meeting/interview with the health authority from Northshore.
Should we stay or should we go ?

Hi There

My family and I emigrated and settled on the North Shore nearly 4 years ago. We lived in Birkehead for the first couple of years and we are now in a place called Greenhithe. The Shore is a nice place with everything that Kiwipaul mentioned and fully agree with his comment on commutting. But if your going to work on the Shore that shouldnt be too much of a problem, actually I think the North Shore hospital is very nice (well as nice as a hospital can be).

Lots of English and South Africans tend to settle on the Shore, dont know that there is any particular reason for that. Property has been very expensive on the Shore but they are starting to fall back a bit, dont know how far they will drop, dont think they will to much, seems to be still moving.

Should we stay or should we go? million dollar question that , if you knew the equation that would give you the answer you would make a million selling it to people on this web site and expats like myself.

If you want to know anything else drop us a mail

cheers

Ian, Jane and family
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Well I lived on the North Shore (Glenfield) for 7 years before moving to Brisbane and I think it is a fantastic place to live. The main down side is if you have to commute into the city to work as the traffic across the bridge is a nightmare. But I found public transport the best way to commute to the city, it was only 13kms but took me an hour about (left 7:15 got in 8:15).

But as you are talking about working on the Shore you won't have that problem. There is everything you need on the Shore to live, entertainmet, shopping centres, beaches, industry it has it's own council and it is the (I think) 4 biggest population centre in NZ.

My last job in NZ was on the Shore and it was a 10 minute commute by car to and from work magic. If things hadn't worked out for me in Oz I'd def have gone back to Auckand as it's got a climate closer to UK's than Brisbane but without the frosts or foggy days.

Hi mate,
That sounds great, I like the idea of no frost or foggy days. I'm sure I'll be back to you with many more questions.
Cheers.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stuee
Hi There

My family and I emigrated and settled on the North Shore nearly 4 years ago. We lived in Birkehead for the first couple of years and we are now in a place called Greenhithe. The Shore is a nice place with everything that Kiwipaul mentioned and fully agree with his comment on commutting. But if your going to work on the Shore that shouldnt be too much of a problem, actually I think the North Shore hospital is very nice (well as nice as a hospital can be).

Lots of English and South Africans tend to settle on the Shore, dont know that there is any particular reason for that. Property has been very expensive on the Shore but they are starting to fall back a bit, dont know how far they will drop, dont think they will to much, seems to be still moving.

Should we stay or should we go? million dollar question that , if you knew the equation that would give you the answer you would make a million selling it to people on this web site and expats like myself.

If you want to know anything else drop us a mail

cheers

Ian, Jane and family

Hi Ian,
Thanks for getting back to me. When you say expensive property, what sort of prices am I looking at? We will probably be taking approx £100,000 with us from the sale of our property here, but we obviously want to live in a good place, preferably on the beach. We were also considering buying property to rent out,possibly to students. What do you think. Is this within our reach ?

cheers,
Graham & Paula.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian,
Thanks for getting back to me. When you say expensive property, what sort of prices am I looking at? We will probably be taking approx £100,000 with us from the sale of our property here, but we obviously want to live in a good place, preferably on the beach. We were also considering buying property to rent out,possibly to students. What do you think. Is this within our reach ?

cheers,
Graham & Paula.
Hi again

Give or take a few bucks 100k is about $300000, living by the beach without a mortgage anywhere in Auckland will be a tall order I think.

My house in Greenhithe is modest and valued at $520000, not close to the beach either. Places like Trobay and parts of Browns Bay are still reasonable, but anything with a view will cost you.

A reasonable house in Auckland in a good area in my opinion is going to cost you around $450,000. A mortgage of $150000 is very affordable, think thats about $450 every 2 weeks.

Rental is still quite good here, lots of people do it as opposed to a pension scheme.

ian and family
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stuee
Hi again

Give or take a few bucks 100k is about $300000, living by the beach without a mortgage anywhere in Auckland will be a tall order I think.

My house in Greenhithe is modest and valued at $520000, not close to the beach either. Places like Trobay and parts of Browns Bay are still reasonable, but anything with a view will cost you.

A reasonable house in Auckland in a good area in my opinion is going to cost you around $450,000. A mortgage of $150000 is very affordable, think thats about $450 every 2 weeks.

Rental is still quite good here, lots of people do it as opposed to a pension scheme.

ian and family
Hi Ian,
Thanks for that mate, it's a bit of food for thought.
Graham.

P.S.
I'm really struggling to get hold of a map of the area. Can you point me in the right direction ?
Cheers.

Last edited by calliemac; Sep 22nd 2004 at 6:37 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I'm really struggling to get hold of a map of the area. Can you point me in the right direction ?
Cheers.
Try here seems to be what you are looking for. Homes to the West of the motorway are cheaper than homes to the east of it (beachside) Glenfield, Birkenhead, etc.

Got to agree with Stuee $300,000 isn't going to get you much of a house ANYWHERE in Auckland. Anything by the beach is going to be $1 million plus and quite a lot with a beach view would also be approaching this.

For a nice house in the burbs your looking at $400-500,000 but check the estate agents sites.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Try here seems to be what you are looking for. Homes to the West of the motorway are cheaper than homes to the east of it (beachside) Glenfield, Birkenhead, etc.

Got to agree with Stuee $300,000 isn't going to get you much of a house ANYWHERE in Auckland. Anything by the beach is going to be $1 million plus and quite a lot with a beach view would also be approaching this.

For a nice house in the burbs your looking at $400-500,000 but check the estate agents sites.
Thanks mate,
Bit disapointed but thanks anyway.
Graham.